Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 07:06 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,769,355 times

Advertisements

LDN and Autoimmune Disease

My neighbor is challenged with RA as of a couple yrs ago. She goes to UCLA Medical and they give her the drugs that they do. The high priced damaging drugs...I just talked to her and asked her if she knew LDN and if her doctor(s) would be open to writing her LDN...btw: LDN runs about $20 a month give or take.

She didn't know about LDN and was going to do her research and present the question to her doc at that next appt. We both feel the same about the overpriced drug world and the damage that comes with them. She said she is now taking Orencia and it is costing the insurance people about $3500 a month???!!!!

She's been on Enbrel and Prednisone but not now. They are trying Orencia for her and she says she's getting old...went to the doc yesterday with issues and probably some side effect issues. She's 68.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 11:58 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Yeah, my enbrel runs about 6K a month (ins.). My lyrica and med for psoriasis is pretty pricey too.

I would think insurance companies will go for a cheaper drug if it works. If LDN turns out to be the miracle drug the world was looking for for insurance companies would be all for it.

I read through the article and it's been tried by 10 people with RA and that is going back a ways. Usually a drug that consistently helps is seen improvement by more than 10 people.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-29-2016, 01:03 PM

Well, my skeptic mind says, the drug companies and insurance companies are so TIGHT that cheaper drugs are not what they want. Just like the PRP for joint regeneration, 1000's times cheaper than drugs and surgery and insurance will not pay a penny YET. I'm being optimistic with the YET, they may never pay.

I gave LDN a 6 month TRY and got a great feeling the first day and never again. I was taking it as I was doing all I could try to NOT do hip replacement. Find out later on it's targeted for auto immune and the OA is not so much or not at all. Everything is so mixed up in our bodies.

There are support groups for everything and I'm sure there are groups for RA and LDN.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-29-2016 at 01:39 PM..

Old 06-29-2016, 01:21 PM

Yes, our bodies are very complicated and scientists do not understand how everything works.

I honestly do not know much about the insurance industry except they pay my bills.

I've had doctors prescribed lots of low cost meds off label because they have been shown to help various conditions, and it never hurts to stay up to date so I can ask their opinion.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:42 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,761,391 times
I saw your post about this on another thread...I'm going to ask my doctor to look into it and maybe prescribe it for me. He's good about stuff like that...likes it when I try natural remedies for stuff, is interested in it...

Old 07-02-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I saw your post about this on another thread...I'm going to ask my doctor to look into it and maybe prescribe it for me. He's good about stuff like that...likes it when I try natural remedies for stuff, is interested in it...
Please let us know how it works! I just read the side effects of LDN ...... I think I'll stay with Lyrica for now, plus I think it may interfere with the tramadol?

Kinda wondering why this is in Alt Med?

Old 07-02-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Please let us know how it works! I just read the side effects of LDN ...... I think I'll stay with Lyrica for now, plus I think it may interfere with the tramadol?

I wasn't sure where to post it, as it can be confusing where to put info sometimes. Please move it to H&W if you would like, fine with me. It's not a huge mainstream drug, but it is an rx drug.

But I've talked to enough who get good results with LDN. I did not, but my issues are not autoimmune related.

Old 07-02-2016, 11:57 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,761,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

Side effects? I thought I read that there were very few, and minor. Can you give a link to what you read?

I don't take tramadol every day....just as needed when I've worked myself into a frazzle (which admittedly, isn't very often! haha) I would just have to leave off tramadol completely while I tried the LDN.

Old 07-02-2016, 12:12 PM

I will mention this too. LDN is not sitting on pharmacy shelves. One normally needs to go to compounding pharmacy or learn to make their own from 50 mg naltrexeone tablet. That's what I did, afterall I was on a LDN group for months, I did not want a hip surgery and was doing everything I thought would prevent this surgery. What I did was get my MD to give me a 50mg rx for naltrexone and made up my own liquid LDN. Otherwise, Skips pharmacy in FL is a huge expert on LDN. People I know who use it get their supply from Skips via their MD's script for LDN. Normal dose is 4.5mg for auto immune issues. My friend with MS gets her rx filled from Skips.

On side effects for me, I had one day of horrible constipation and that was it, but again the LDN didn't work for me either. And it's very inexpensive.

Old 07-02-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Side effects? I thought I read that there were very few, and minor. Can you give a link to what you read?

I don't take tramadol every day....just as needed when I've worked myself into a frazzle (which admittedly, isn't very often! haha) I would just have to leave off tramadol completely while I tried the LDN.
I usually check WebMd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine