Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2017, 11:10 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,376,172 times

Advertisements

My usually fit and healthy 57 y.o. husband is recovering from a very bad staph skin infection - his doctor said it was the worst case he's ever seen. The majority of his body was swollen and covered with blistering boils... It was not pretty. He initially had a bad case of poison oak and it then turned into a staph infection. He was tested for MRSA and thankfully does not have that. During the last 14 days, he has been on strong antibiotics and steroids (pills and also a steroid injection at the hospital). He also takes some sort of chemical bath and applies topical prescription antibiotic ointment. He is doing much better.

8 days ago I noticed a small bump on my hand. Since staph is highly contagious, I expected this. Then I noticed another small bump, and then another... I now have bumps/rash on one arm, my stomach and my back. It looks like patches of spider bites. They itch but I can deal with it - I cover the bumps with ointment and a band-aid and don't touch them.

I called my doctor to see if I could get a prescription for the ointment, but he said I should start taking the oral antibiotics right away considering how bad my husband's case was. My husband and mom agreed. I'm not a big fan of antibiotics, and what it does to your system.

So far, this has been my treatment:

1. Slather over-the-counter triple antibiotic on the rash multiple times per day.

2. Mega load on live probiotics. I'm drinking lots of Kombucha, apple cider vinegar, Kefir, probiotic juices/tea... I'm eating sauerkraut and yogurt.

3. Eating lots of garlic and garlic tablets (several cloves a day).

The good news is that my bumps have not increased in size. Some of the patches have shrunk and almost disappeared. The bad news is that new patches of small bumps have appeared on other areas of my body.

My husband says that means it's spreading and I should get right on the oral antibiotic before it takes a turn for the worse and spirals out of control like his infection. Plus he thinks I may re-infect him. But I think I've been successfully dealing with this relatively minor rash for 8 days. But I do not know how long my outbreak will last. This is putting a damper on swimsuit season.

So here are my questions:

1. Should I start taking the antibiotics as suggested by my doctor and husband?

2. Are there any other alternative treatments for staph?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 01:17 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Go to the doctor and get a proper diagnosis. Then the appropriate treatment can be prescribed.

Old 06-17-2017, 01:28 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
I never take antibiotics...but after your husband's story...please, nip it in the bud, now!
Heart goes out to you.

Old 06-17-2017, 03:11 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post

My husband says that means it's spreading and I should get right on the oral antibiotic before it takes a turn for the worse and spirals out of control like his infection. Plus he thinks I may re-infect him. But I think I've been successfully dealing with this relatively minor rash for 8 days. But I do not know how long my outbreak will last. This is putting a damper on swimsuit season....
I would suggest that you stop worrying about the swimsuit season, and pay attention to the fact that you could, indeed, reinfect your husband and infect others too.

For God's sake get to a doctor, and discuss what you have been doing with her or him, and get some good medical advice and a discussion with an expert.

Old 06-17-2017, 07:39 AM

1,625 posts, read 1,355,564 times
My friend had a recurrent boil on his back. Taking antibiotics and putting antibiotic ointment on it did nothing. I put colloidal silver gel on it and it was gone within a week. I used Source Naturals Ultra Colloidal Silver Salve.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:22 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
My friend had a recurrent boil on his back. Taking antibiotics and putting antibiotic ointment on it did nothing. I put colloidal silver gel on it and it was gone within a week. I used Source Naturals Ultra Colloidal Silver Salve.
I would agree. I have treated them with applications of white iodine and that has been successful.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:00 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
My usually fit and healthy 57 y.o. husband is recovering from a very bad staph skin infection - his doctor said it was the worst case he's ever seen. The majority of his body was swollen and covered with blistering boils... It was not pretty. He initially had a bad case of poison oak and it then turned into a staph infection. He was tested for MRSA and thankfully does not have that. During the last 14 days, he has been on strong antibiotics and steroids (pills and also a steroid injection at the hospital). He also takes some sort of chemical bath and applies topical prescription antibiotic ointment. He is doing much better.

8 days ago I noticed a small bump on my hand. Since staph is highly contagious, I expected this. Then I noticed another small bump, and then another... I now have bumps/rash on one arm, my stomach and my back. It looks like patches of spider bites. They itch but I can deal with it - I cover the bumps with ointment and a band-aid and don't touch them.

I called my doctor to see if I could get a prescription for the ointment, but he said I should start taking the oral antibiotics right away considering how bad my husband's case was. My husband and mom agreed. I'm not a big fan of antibiotics, and what it does to your system.

So far, this has been my treatment:

1. Slather over-the-counter triple antibiotic on the rash multiple times per day.

2. Mega load on live probiotics. I'm drinking lots of Kombucha, apple cider vinegar, Kefir, probiotic juices/tea... I'm eating sauerkraut and yogurt.

3. Eating lots of garlic and garlic tablets (several cloves a day).

The good news is that my bumps have not increased in size. Some of the patches have shrunk and almost disappeared. The bad news is that new patches of small bumps have appeared on other areas of my body.

My husband says that means it's spreading and I should get right on the oral antibiotic before it takes a turn for the worse and spirals out of control like his infection. Plus he thinks I may re-infect him. But I think I've been successfully dealing with this relatively minor rash for 8 days. But I do not know how long my outbreak will last. This is putting a damper on swimsuit season.

So here are my questions:

1. Should I start taking the antibiotics as suggested by my doctor and husband?

2. Are there any other alternative treatments for staph?
Infections of any kind, especially staph are nothing to fiddle around with. I would have gone to the doctor at first sign of an infection. I too, am not fond of antibiotics, and usually if one waits long enough all infections will clear up, but we don't know if the infection is still in our system. At least see the doctor, then you can judge if you want to fight this on your own. I certainly would not!!!!

Old 06-17-2017, 09:27 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Go to the doctor and get a proper diagnosis. Then the appropriate treatment can be prescribed.

No better advice to be offered. In the situation you're in take no chances. You have no clue what kind of infection you're dealing with and all that homeopathic, "natural" stuff will NOT stop an aggressive bacterial infection. It needs to be pinned down and properly diagnosed. Just the fact that it has spread as you describe is enough to set off alarms.

I understand the aversion to antibiotics. They are often overprescribed and do have side effects, but far more often than not they are the best or only option for effectively fighting a bacterial infection. You saw what happened to your husband. Please...take note.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:36 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
I avoid antibiotics as much as possible too (even if I didn't, my doctor does!), but I would think after what you have seen happen to your husband you would haul butt to the doctor to get treatment.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-17-2017, 09:42 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Well, I'm dealing with a staph infection that went undiagnosed for 2.5 months that was in my knee. All the 10+ doctors didn't do the test that would have shown the blazing infection. I went 2.5 months not walking and on horrid drugs and then they finally did MRI and there it was....then 2 months of abx drugs. I sure don't like the drugs as I'm sure MOST here have heard me, but gone much longer I could have died.

I still an open case against the hospital and doctors for NOT finding this infection. But each time the doctors saw me and did this and that test from blood to cortisone to mega xrays, they charged Medicare for each minute. Haven't talked to attorney but I work with a social worker on my recent nightmare.

For you the silver salve could help BUT go for the abx treatment. Make sure you take the probiotics along with the drugs.

My infection issue was not like yours as it showed nothing but a HOT swollen painful knee. And not being able to walk for 2.5 months, feared I'd not walk again as I had no idea about the infection and neither did these experts come to that conclusion for 2.5 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine