Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 06:47 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Allopathic MD's don't treat symptoms or work to get to the root WHY the health issue, go right to the bandaid drugs.

And supplements cure the disease? No, they don't, so I never understand why you say the above.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-21-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Would you follow their advice and take them IF, they said to?
I would seriously consider it. My doctor's last effort is medicine, way before that she is on my back about exercise and diet.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:54 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Too little too late. I'm sure you are aware of the infamous "frown face" Time magazine cover from the 1980's with the two egg eyes, and the frowning bacon mouth.

Where was the AHA back then debunking the garbage studies in that garbage article?

Thirty-five years of the low-fat diet has taken its toll. It was so bad in the mid-90's, that Nabisco could not keep their totally disgusting tasting, no-fat Snackwell Cookies in stores. That's how brainwashed we were. Great, no fat! I can eat as many as I want! They taste like a shoe, but that's OK!

I wonder if Nabisco was a big donor to the AHA at that time.

The American Diabetes Association is just as bad, if not worse, than the AHA. But that's a different thread.
It seems you missed the part about recommendations changing as new data comes in. You keep bashing the AHA when the AHA is not even doing the things you accuse it of doing, such as saying chocolate cereal is better than eggs or that eggs are bad.

The AHA has a very nice cookbook with tasty healthy recipes that emphasize veggies and lean meat and controlling sodium intake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Most aren't. They are just saying discussing the dangers of statins and how they are over-prescribed.

Pfizer has sold over $100 BILLION(!) of Lipitor. Then there is Zocor, Crestor and all the other copy cat drugs. So I wouldn't worry about the piddly cost of books and supplements. Worry about the Big Pharma scam.

Have to give credit to the "researchers" at Pfizer who pulled off the biggest hoax of the century - convincing people there was a problem with a 200+ total cholesterol. And they advertised the hell out of it. I believe the commericals were called, "What's Your Number?"

And back in the 90's, there was no Google and YouTube availabe to debunk the scam.
"Most" every "doctor" I have seen on the internet that denies statins should be used has a book or supplements to sell.

Supplements are a multi-billion-dollar industry in the US.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...nts-in-the-us/

Old 08-21-2017, 08:12 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,868,725 times
Quote:
Allopathic MD's don't treat symptoms or work to get to the root WHY the health issue, go right to the bandaid drugs.
This is simply not true. If your anecdotal experience has been such, you can't say that this means all physicians approach patient care this way. My anecdotal and work experience has been the opposite. I am fortunate to live in an area with so many health care provider options and providers who want to get to the root of their patient's issues. Maybe there is limited healthcare options where you live?

Old 08-21-2017, 08:21 PM

It's an odd thought pattern. I have RA, an autoimmune disease..... no one knows how to cure it, not the doctors, pharma or supplement companies. My Rx controls the heck out of it. No one is "hiding" the cure, they just don't know how to fix autoimmune problems.

Ideopathic HBP, they don't know the cause, so they treat the symptoms to minimize danger.

It's weird to demand that other people discover the cause to something...... they are trying.

Cancer? They know better what is needed to cure (some, they are all different).

Flu? Get a vaccine, get the cure (to the variants they think will be prevalent)

I had gallstones, I got the cure, they took it out.

I had pancreantitis, they got the cure, they opened a bile duct.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:38 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,627,074 times
Interesting to see the OP yet again promote the idea that cholesterol is harmless and does nothing to damage the body, without showing any solid evidence to back up claims (the same M.O. as in OP's other thread posts in regards to how 'harmless' cholesterol/saturated fats are).

If cholesterol was not the enemy and is not harmful to the human body, then how does the OP explain the inherited genetic disorder familial hypercholesterolemia? This is a disorder where the body has abnormal levels of cholesterol from birth, and results in premature atheriosclerosis which starts even from infancy.

If cholesterol was so harmless in general as the likes of the OP (and also the low carb/keto/paleo crowd) would have you believe, then why does excessive cholesterol as in FH lead to atheriosclerosis?

And if cholesterol was so harmless in general, then how to explain animal studies which showed a direct causal link between dietary cholesterol and atheriosclerosis?

Quote:
In order to evaluate the theory of atherogenesis from cholesterol, Clarkson and Newburgh (1926) fed rabbits a normal diet, with increasing doses of cholesterol of 25, 113, 253 or 507 mg/day, administered in capsules. Moderate atherosclerosis was found in 71% of the rabbits fed 507 mg/day of cholesterol for 47-87 days. Meeker & Kesten (1940, 1941) dissolved 60 or 250 mg of cholesterol in vegetable oil and added it to the diet of rabbits for three months. The animals developed typical atherosclerotic lesions similar to those seen in humans, thus corroborating the theory that cholesterol was the precursor for the development of atherosclerotic vascular disease3.
Even from a common sense standpoint, anyone can see that without excess cholesterol, there would be no lining of the blood vessels leading to atheriosclerosis.

And even the mantra that the higher the HDL, the better is not necessarily true either.

Bottom line, don't take as gospel anecdotes about what people's grandpappies ate and how long they lived to 'prove' that cholesterol in general is 100 percent harmless and 'not' the enemy.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:07 PM

My husband died from clogged arteries.... at 43. He wasn't taking any meds.

That aside, as one case proves nothing no matter how close to home, you can't just ignore stuff because it doesn't fit your paradigm.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:29 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,256,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I
If cholesterol was not the enemy and is not harmful to the human body, then how does the OP explain the inherited genetic disorder familial hypercholesterolemia? This is a disorder where the body has abnormal levels of cholesterol from birth, and results in premature atheriosclerosis which starts even from infancy.
What does FH have to do with the millions who have high cholesterol because of their behavior (overweight/obese, couch sitters, crappy diet, etc.). These people can lower their cholesterol simply by changing their behavior. People with FH cannot.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:31 PM

"In order to evaluate the theory of atherogenesis from cholesterol, Clarkson and Newburgh (1926) fed rabbits a normal diet, with increasing doses of cholesterol of 25, 113, 253 or 507 mg/day, administered in capsules. Moderate atherosclerosis was found in 71% of the rabbits fed 507 mg/day of cholesterol for 47-87 days. Meeker & Kesten (1940, 1941) dissolved 60 or 250 mg of cholesterol in vegetable oil and added it to the diet of rabbits for three months. The animals developed typical atherosclerotic lesions similar to those seen in humans, thus corroborating the theory that cholesterol was the precursor for the development of atherosclerotic vascular disease3."

That's just a brilliant study. Feed vegan rabbits tons of cholesterol to prove a point. The study is WORTHLESS.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
"Most" every "doctor" I have seen on the internet that denies statins should be used has a book or supplements to sell.

Supplements are a multi-billion-dollar industry in the US.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...nts-in-the-us/
This guy isn't selling anything.

Selling a book is bad. But selling $100 billion of Lipitor mostly to people who don't need it is just fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc1XsO3mxX8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine