Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2017, 07:28 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,824,031 times

Advertisements

I've been taking L Lysine off and on for years after I found out about it and herpes I was dealing with probably 30 yrs ago. It's also indicated to prevention/treatment of shingles.

I think it comes in various doses but I buy the 500mg capsule and take 1 or 2 daily on empty stomach and taking it again as there is so much talk about shingles and I will NOT get the vaccine.

L-Lysine Benefits - Your Nutritional Supplement Guide

http://www.healthyandnaturalworld.co...sine-benefits/

Last edited by jaminhealth; 09-28-2017 at 08:58 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2017, 12:42 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,506,062 times
Thank you for posting this info and helpful links!!

Old 10-01-2017, 07:05 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,676,817 times
Also B vitamins and Zinc would not hurt.

Old 10-26-2017, 05:37 PM

3,774 posts, read 4,124,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I've been taking L Lysine off and on for years after I found out about it and herpes I was dealing with probably 30 yrs ago. It's also indicated to prevention/treatment of shingles.

I think it comes in various doses but I buy the 500mg capsule and take 1 or 2 daily on empty stomach and taking it again as there is so much talk about shingles and I will NOT get the vaccine.

L-Lysine Benefits - Your Nutritional Supplement Guide

The Amazing Health Benefits of L-lysine
Was this prescribed for you by a doctor? If so, what did the doctor expect this to do for you? I ask because a doctor I go to who believes in vitamins and natural remedies recommended the same thing for me, but I find that it causes loose bowels, which was listed as one of its drawbacks.

Old 10-26-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Was this prescribed for you by a doctor? If so, what did the doctor expect this to do for you? I ask because a doctor I go to who believes in vitamins and natural remedies recommended the same thing for me, but I find that it causes loose bowels, which was listed as one of its drawbacks.
No doctor recommendation, I'm my own doctor so much. I do a lot of self help and read and research everything I take for this and that. Loose bowels don't happen in my case. Don't know why for you. Are you taking more than 500mg daily? I am off Lysine for a while and I was taking 500mg first thing in AM on empty stomach. Amino acids are most effective on empty stomach.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:10 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,370,082 times
If I ever get shingles i would run Tabasco Sauce on it, as it works well. The shots don't work of you have an autoimmune issue. I take zinc daily. Great about lysene.

Old 11-29-2017, 02:06 PM

3,774 posts, read 4,124,033 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
No doctor recommendation, I'm my own doctor so much. I do a lot of self help and read and research everything I take for this and that. Loose bowels don't happen in my case. Don't know why for you. Are you taking more than 500mg daily? I am off Lysine for a while and I was taking 500mg first thing in AM on empty stomach. Amino acids are most effective on empty stomach.
Upon the recommendation of my natural physician, I purchased a bottle of 1,000 mg pills at a vitamin shop. They are not capsules or gel caps, but white pills with the same texture as an aspirin, only they are as large as a battleship. I have taken large pills, but have never seen pills this large in my life. So I cut one pill into four pieces and took only one piece daily, to see if they would have any effect. The only effect it had was loose bowels, which stopped as soon as I stopped taking them.

Old 11-29-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Upon the recommendation of my natural physician, I purchased a bottle of 1,000 mg pills at a vitamin shop. They are not capsules or gel caps, but white pills with the same texture as an aspirin, only they are as large as a battleship. I have taken large pills, but have never seen pills this large in my life. So I cut one pill into four pieces and took only one piece daily, to see if they would have any effect. The only effect it had was loose bowels, which stopped as soon as I stopped taking them.
So you even had loose bowels with 1/4 tab which is 250mg. Guess your constitution leans toward loose bowels, is that correct. I never had that issue.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:00 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,569,637 times
So I'm researching the shingles vaccination, am I correct in assuming that you guys prefer NOT to get the vaccination?

I've read a couple of links on the natural remedies but mainly they say very general stuff like "get plenty of rest" , "avoid stress" and keep your immune system strong.

LOl well I have a stressful job so I would like some thing a bit more proactive.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:32 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,797,512 times
L-Lysine works by inhibiting the amino acid, Arginine which helps fuel and outbreak. Avoiding foods high in Arginine and instead eating foods high in Lysine is helpful in the event of an outbreak or just prior to one coming on.

Oil of Oregano is a natural antiviral.

Both will stop a cold sore in it's tracks if taken at the first sign. If not taken in time they will reduce the severity and duration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine