Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 12:17 PM

14,933 posts, read 12,132,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I haven't had much luck, either, with the bottled stuff. IIRC, the bottle I used said 2% aloe? The rest was just water, preservatives, etc. It also felt sticky. The fresh aloe did a world of good in just one day! Last night I was able to sleep peacefully for the first time in ages. Usually I take benedryl and pain pills just to make the itch stop so I can sleep, then I wake up groggy-headed, which is better than no sleep at all!

If it continues to help, I might just start growing my own plant, cheaper and more convenient!
That's great, hope the fresh aloe continues to help you. Those plants aren't expensive, and they grow like the proverbial weeds. They're a succulent plant, don't need much water. So they can thrive with benign neglect, pretty much. You can check online for their growth requirements in the way of light, soil and watering.

Good luck! I think I'm going to try some fresh aloe on a pesky rash that comes and goes on my left outer thigh ( I'm thinking it must be eczema.). It never occured to me to try aloe, but why not, I have a boatload of it outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 11:40 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,397,515 times
Its working!

The itch is 90% gone! Unless one has experienced psoriasis, you can't begin to understand what a torment it is! There's been times I've been discouraged to even put on my clothes, especially shoes & socks, because the clothes rub against the affected areas and increase the itching.

I've been using one small piece I cut off a stalk, pierce it, and apply the gel. I keep it in the fridge in a plastic bag. I figure one piece should last one day, and keep the stalk in the fridge, with the cut end wrapped with a little baggie.

Strange, but I think....the stalk heals itself? I pierce it with a small knife and squeeze out some gel. When I go to use it later, I can't find the pierced area, even if a squeeze it. I have to pierce it again. What an amazing plant this is! I just hope it continues to help!

Old 11-20-2017, 07:56 AM

2,527 posts, read 2,775,949 times
Great news! It's wonderful stuff. It's the only thing that kept me from clawing myself bloody raw when I had bad reactions to antibiotics . . . full body rashes that were the most excruciating itching experiences of my life. I've never had psoriasis but if it's anything like that, I truly feel for you. Steroids didn't do enough for me - then I thought of the aloe and it worked. It continued to work during the whole recovery period and again when about two years later I had a similar reaction to a different antibiotic. Holding good thoughts that it will continue to help you, too.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:09 AM

Good thoughts from me too.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Its working!

The itch is 90% gone! Unless one has experienced psoriasis, you can't begin to understand what a torment it is! There's been times I've been discouraged to even put on my clothes, especially shoes & socks, because the clothes rub against the affected areas and increase the itching.

I've been using one small piece I cut off a stalk, pierce it, and apply the gel. I keep it in the fridge in a plastic bag. I figure one piece should last one day, and keep the stalk in the fridge, with the cut end wrapped with a little baggie.

Strange, but I think....the stalk heals itself? I pierce it with a small knife and squeeze out some gel. When I go to use it later, I can't find the pierced area, even if a squeeze it. I have to pierce it again. What an amazing plant this is! I just hope it continues to help!
That's about what it does. You'll find if you cut a little piece off the end of the stalk it'll kind of wither and the edges fold in on itself there ( sort of like wrapping itself up, maybe). You won't have to worry about any of that great gel leaking out of the cut parts of the plant.

I suspect that's what most succulent plants do, to preserve the moisture within their leaves.

So glad it's working to help with your rashes. Fingers crossed this continues.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:46 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,718,719 times
Glad it's working for you! We have a large aloe plant inside by the sunny window and cut off tips of leaves when we need it for burns, etc.

We also keep a jug of George's Aloe Vera juice on hand for sore throats, tummy aches and coughs. It tastes like water and I tell the grandkids that it's magic water. It really works great, I think it feels like lotion on a sore throat.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:19 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,452,168 times
HerbalAnswers.com is the site of a company called Aloe Force that evidently is the only company that uses RAW aloe in their products. I have used the skin gel and it removed a keratosis and also a skin tag from my thigh. Besides Aloe it contains other herbs.

There is some interesting information about some of the little known benefits of Aloe on their site including that, according to them, it is the only plant source of Vitamin B-12. However I think B-12 can be found in sea vegetables too.

Another resource the OP might find helpful is the knowledge base of Dr. John Christopher, the famous naturopathic doctor and herbalist and founder of the longest running herbalist program in the country: herballegacy.com. If you look up Psoriasis, you'll find what Dr. Christopher used on his patients including some testimonials of how the protocol worked. Dr. Christopher, like most true blue naturopaths were staunch advocates of detoxing, making sure the bowels were moving the way they should and changing over to a clean diet while healing.

As you probably know, the cause of skin conditions has more to do with the condition of the body underneath the skin rather than the skin itself. The skin is our third kidney and one of the ways our bodies can eliminate wastes.

I would also look up on YouTube "Dr. Robert Morse on Psoriasis".

Old 12-04-2017, 02:13 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,556,721 times
I think its fantastic externally. Ingesting it is another matter. The latex has laxative effects/ abdominal cramps. The non-decolorized form was found to cause tumors in rat intestines - but the decolorized form did not. The decolorized form is the one usually in drinks.
As far as pulling out of your garden and using it - I'd stick to applying it to the skin. Eat it only in small amounts if you are certain you need it.

This site discusses the evidence - including its apparent advantages in psoriasis:
https://nccih.nih.gov/health/aloevera

Old 04-09-2019, 09:07 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times
Wanted to start a thread and found this one on aloe vera.
I am a new to it.
Took a teaspoon of some liquidy stuff i bought...and my next morning's BM was different and just fine.
So 'something' happened from a very small amt.
So, took 1 ounce, a shot glass, in lemon water this morning ...I will report back if any problems ...since they say you can get cramping.
I am starting slowly...I did read to have it on an empty stomach....glad I saw that.

I wanted to take it for any liver help...had a lifetime of 'partying'.

Old 04-09-2019, 11:22 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
I have been ingesting it and using it topically off and on for years. Never any issues. Right now I don't have any liquid aloe but I'm using some other stuff, I change things a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine