Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 07:12 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,150,536 times

Advertisements

Kind of intriguing.

How Essential Oils Became the Cure for Our Age of Anxiety
Aromatic oils have become big business. But are they medicine or marketing?

By Rachel Monroe

Oils’ rising popularity is part of the contemporary appetite for wellness, an embrace of holistic healthy-living practices ranging from the low key (meditation) to the wacky (Brain Dust, a forty-dollar jar of adaptogenic herbs and mushrooms that promises to “align you with the cosmic flow for great achievement”).

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...age-of-anxiety
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 04:10 PM

9,881 posts, read 7,763,524 times
I use the oils from both companies mentioned in the article. I'm still learning, but having better results the more I learn.

Old 12-05-2017, 04:14 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,791,389 times
My favorite is Frankinsence for knee pain and Pine Needles seems to dull my knee pain. I enjoy working with them. I use no perfumes and will dab a little behind my ear for a nice lift. Then I do add drops of clove oil to my homemade toothpaste.

Old 12-23-2017, 08:08 PM

99 posts, read 44,410 times
I use them and was a distributor. I believe they can work for targeted issues. I didn’t ‘bathe’ in them like some do. What have they been useful for? Cuts, burns, illness, tummy aches, ptsd, fatigue, snoring, muscle aches, headaches, pink eye, ear aches, poo poo spray, air freshener, bug repellant.

Old 12-27-2017, 01:24 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,774,190 times
I also believe that they can work for targeted issues. I've found them to beneficial when used in such a way.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:25 AM

661 posts, read 2,898,864 times
You're going to have to spend some money to get results. Don't grab those oils in the checkout line at TJ Maxx. Young Living and DoTerra are good, and I can grab Aura Cacia at my local health food store. You may or may not find oils are a help to you, but you need to start with a quality company to find out.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:36 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,791,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkey View Post
You're going to have to spend some money to get results. Don't grab those oils in the checkout line at TJ Maxx. Young Living and DoTerra are good, and I can grab Aura Cacia at my local health food store. You may or may not find oils are a help to you, but you need to start with a quality company to find out.
I find the Now Foods line of EO to be pretty high quality for the price.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:07 PM

12,789 posts, read 15,021,124 times
Essential oils and diffusing are all new to me, so I'll keep an eye on this thread! I ordered this glass diffuser from HSN in Oct, but haven't used it yet because I haven't yet ordered the brand of oils I plan to get soon...DoTerra. It's one of the best quality oils out there & I'm all for getting the highest quality oils I can find.

The outside cover of the diffuser I got is glass, but I found out that the inside part that houses the liquid is plastic. Isn't it supposed to be better when it's ALL glass? I ask because certain (or most) oils are powerful enough to break down the plastic material and then disintegrate into the air or be ingested (if it's an edible oil), which is why essential oils are all in glass bottles.

What are the best diffusers out there? There's so many on the market.

What are everyone's favorite oils to use? I'm going to try this "Breath" blend and later, I plan to get frankincense and wild orange. If I really love diffusing, I'll try others.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:51 AM

661 posts, read 2,898,864 times
I used Young Living for a while and their diffusers are plastic. Most are. Your oil is going to be heavily diluted. Plastic won't be a problem. At one point I had several going around the house. They were all plastic and never an issue. Though YL diffusers were expensive, I liked the ones I got off Amazon better. I read the reviews and never had a problem.

I love diffusing Bergamot and tend to stick to citrus blends. Everyone has their preferences. Pinterest has great pages of blends for various results....immune system, colds, etc. They were my Go To for information. Lots of mixing and matching for different scents and needs. Make sure you use distilled water and maintain the diffuser. Most have automatic shutoff. DoTerra's good. Have fun!

Old 01-06-2018, 12:48 PM

3,304 posts, read 3,036,261 times
I love my aromatherapy diffuser. Yesterday I was using Patchouli and it put me in such a good mood all day. I do like to switch out the essential oils I use so I don't use the same ones all the time. Today I have a blend with lime, orange, lemon and bergamot that's just a good mood type thing. I like to use one that is good for the immune system a couple of times a week during cold and flu season, but again, I don't like to overdo it.

I know that essential oils work. When a friend was going through severe grief after the accidental death of a loved one, she couldn't sleep. I gave her a diffuser and a blend of Lavender, Tarragon and Marjoram, essential oils that are said to be useful for sleeping issues. She was skeptical, but willing to try anything, so she set up the diffuser in her bedroom that same night. The following day, she told me that she had had her first real night's sleep in weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine