Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 01:55 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,382,831 times

Advertisements

FDA plans crackdown on homeopathic drugs aimed at infants, cancer patients

The homeopathic drug market grew "exponentially" over the past decade into a nearly $3 billion industry, the FDA said, resulting in a flood of products manufactured without the agency's approval.

New plans announced Monday place scrutiny on products aimed at children and infants, as well as those marketed for life-threatening ailments like heart disease and cancer.

"In many cases, people may be placing their trust and money in therapies that may bring little to no benefit in combating serious ailments, or worse — that may cause significant and even irreparable harm because the products are poorly manufactured, or contain active ingredients that aren’t adequately tested or disclosed to patients."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 01:57 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,835,800 times
Oh the FDA has been working to break the Alt Med (Functional Medicine) world for decades. I hope Alt Med has lobbys strong enough to stand up to Pharma lobbys. Who has the MOST $$$$$.

Old 12-19-2017, 10:31 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,681,414 times
This is just evil.

The general public doesn't get it.

This means that our options are being restricted.

(And the headline of this thread is erroneous, re: infants, cancer patients) - it's going to affect all buyers.

Old 12-19-2017, 10:46 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,146,181 times
If it's a 3 billion dollar industry, then that's money not being spent in allopathic medicine and they want it. I agree with Jam, the FDA is no friend of Alt medicine, but it should be left up to individuals to decide what they want. There are a lot more deaths from traditional medicine.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:56 AM

26,053 posts, read 22,250,461 times
Geesh, look at the possible side effects of the pharmaceutical drugs in the ads where they promoting them, trying to get people to ask their doctors for them. How could anything possibly be worse? I saw what two cancer patients went through with "medical treatment", my dad and a friend, just "NO!" I would never subject myself to that. I saw what my son from the time he was an infant with Down syndrome went through until at which time I started using alternative medicine to deal with his issues.

FDA needs to stay out it. My son has had two physicians that approved of using natural medicine "If it working.........." both were intrigued and one said his mother used them, the other one said her grandfather only said the way to stay healthy is stay away from the doctor.

If we could just eliminate the FDA and the CDC, both are corrupt to the heart of the organizations.

Old 12-21-2017, 01:00 PM

259 posts, read 175,039 times
As an active user to many different alternative medicine modalities over the last 35 years I would say two things:

1) Each type has its place where it is very effective.

2) None are a magic bullet since all rely on the body to heal itself.

With that said, it is a bit of a scam for any type of mice to target a specific population or health problem. Health ailments are generally the consequence of many converging lifestyle issues and all have to be addressed to bring health back to a good level. This goes equally for the FDA approved drugs that kill 10s of thousands of people reach year.

Old 12-28-2017, 07:25 PM

268 posts, read 228,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
There are a lot more deaths from traditional medicine.
That's because a lot more people use traditional medicine.

Old 12-28-2017, 07:33 PM

259 posts, read 175,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatesKat View Post
That's an interesting point of view. Apparently killing people had become the right of the medical industry and no other. Homeopathy kills no one (according to science), yet the medical industry has the right to kill tens of thousands every year (some studies say hundreds of thousands).. Suppose every industry has this luxury?

Old 12-29-2017, 08:08 AM

26,661 posts, read 13,806,392 times
Quote:
I don't know about that. There were a total of 10 deaths over a ten year period of time that were suspected, although never conclusively linked to the homeopathic, Hyland's teething tablets. Keep in mind that theses teething tablets weren't just sold in health food stores, you can buy them at any grocery store, drug store, Walmart ,Target, etc. I bought some when my first daughter was a baby and that was before I even really knew what homeopathy was.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:35 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,146,181 times
Quote:
I totally agree with ThaiChi, the medical and pharm industry kill untold people each year. I think this is due in part to the public expectation of deaths occurring from medicine, it's just what happens. The commercials on TV for various medications are good, likeable people just living their lives and being helped by this or that drug. But then, the disclosures are added, it's kind of scary really. A lot of people die from these medicines and Big Pharma has the money to deal with the lawsuits that follow.

Natural medicine is put under a microscope and if even a handful of people get sick or dies, it's treated as though the whole system is nothing but snake oil. This industry is a master at spin and they use it well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine