Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 12:17 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,556,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
On table salt and it's all our foods unless otherwise specified as sea salts....At home I use sea salts for salting my veggies etc.

https://skeptics.stackexchange.com/q...-salt-bleached

Yes table salt is more pure, it is sometimes treated to remove things which aren't actually salt. The "bleach hypothesis" in that link is just doodoo btw.

Sea salts is a mix of salt (NaCl) and other chemicals. Taste wise - its up to you. For psoriasis - table salt alone doesn't seem to do the trick, its the mix of mineral chemicals in sea water that seems to have the effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 12:31 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Yes table salt is more pure, it is sometimes treated to remove things which aren't actually salt. The "bleach hypothesis" in that link is just doodoo btw.

Sea salts is a mix of salt (NaCl) and other chemicals. Taste wise - its up to you. For psoriasis - table salt alone doesn't seem to do the trick, its the mix of mineral chemicals in sea water that seems to have the effect.
It's refined, it's not pure. What does refined mean = processed.

Old 03-27-2018, 12:53 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
It's refined, it's not pure. What does refined mean = processed.
Refined:

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/refined

"Free of impurities; purified."

Table salt has been processed (refined) to free it of impurities, leaving behind sodium chloride. It may or may not have an iodine salt added to it. An anti-caking agent may be added to keep it from clumping in the salt shaker.

Table salt, with respect to sodium chloride, is more pure than sea salt, which contains more mineral salts. Sea salt may also have an anti-caking agent added.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:49 PM
bg7

Quote:

The latest news on sea salt - it contains what's in sea water - the good and the bad. Here's the bad:

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...lastic-studies

No problem if you are taking a bath in it. Eating it? I'd moderate how much sea salt you use instead of pure table salt.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:54 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
OMG, it is not sea water that is good for psoriasis. It is dead sea salts which contains a unique blend of minerals.

I go in the ocean and it does not help, I use the dead sea salts and it does.

(Sorry BG7 that wasn't at you)
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-05-2018, 06:08 PM

911 posts, read 262,059 times
Thank you Mikala43

Old 04-06-2018, 08:43 AM
bg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
OMG, it is not sea water that is good for psoriasis. It is dead sea salts which contains a unique blend of minerals.

That's interesting - someone should investigate that to see if its the difference in the combination of minerals (normal sea salts vs. Dead Sea salts) or if its the much higher concentration of the minerals in the Dead Sea salts that is the helpful thing.

Old 04-06-2018, 09:34 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,718,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

I never heard of the dead sea salts. Do you like a specific brand? Is it just for topical use/soaking or can you put it on food??

I just had friends visit the area and my home screen is a beautiful photo of sunrise over the Dead Sea.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:49 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
That's interesting - someone should investigate that to see if its the difference in the combination of minerals (normal sea salts vs. Dead Sea salts) or if its the much higher concentration of the minerals in the Dead Sea salts that is the helpful thing.
I think I hear what your saying on a couple different levels.

Because it's the alt forum I am giving what things helped, dead sea salts and tar based ointments (then sun), and UVB treatments.

If I had to rely on those? I would probably look like a leper.

Mine is pretty aggressive and turned into psoriatic RA. What helped? All allopathic meds, methotrexate changed my life, when that stopped working Enbrel gave me a life - without it I would be essentially crippled.

I still get some "break through" psoriasis, but I won't change meds because my RA is almost completely suppressed. I'm vain, but not stupid.

I still use an RX topical, luckily steroids are no longer the topical standard.

Kara: I haven't used them in ages, but this thread reminded me about them so once I run out of epsom for my baths, I'll change to dead sea salts. I just went on Amazon and have them set aside. Just get the ones that are made in Irsael, or if you buy a lotion, make sure you confirm it is high on the ingredient list.

Just looked it up and it looks like maybe Epsom does good too, so a less expensive alternative to the alternative.

Common skin ailments – for treating skin disorders such as acne and psoriasis which may be relieved by regularly soaking the affected area in water with added Dead Sea salt. The National Psoriasis Foundation recommends Dead Sea and Dead Sea salts as effective treatments for psoriasis.[4] [5] High concentration of magnesium in Dead Sea salt may be helpful in improving skin hydration and reducing inflammation,[6] although Epsom salt is a much-less-expensive salt that also contains high amounts of magnesium and therefore may be equally as useful for this purpose.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Sea_salt
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine