Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 10:36 AM

48,599 posts, read 35,070,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Its not a stupid question. What type of arthritis? RA? Psoriatic?

This study by doctors in Iran showed good benefits of Omega 3 for RA:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26925896

This study from St. Bart's in the UK agrees Omega-3s good in RA:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26925896

I've always taken it for my RA, but.... I have Psoriatic..... does that make a difference?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 10:39 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,572,630 times
I have osteoarthritis. Really bad in my knees. Had my left knee replaced in 2016 so Im trying to prolong the right for as long as possible. My problem is I don't want to pop tylenol all day long so Im investigating the alternatives

Old 03-30-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
I have osteoarthritis. Really bad in my knees. Had my left knee replaced in 2016 so Im trying to prolong the right for as long as possible. My problem is I don't want to pop tylenol all day long so Im investigating the alternatives
I'll wait for BG but I don't think it is as good for OA. My husband is developing OA in a shoulder (he is having his 4th surgery on it) and I asked the doc what we can do to prolong the shoulder OA, and he said the only thing that may help is glucosamine. My husband's GP said Meloxicam is better on the stomach than OTCs, for myself I disagree, Melosicam hurts my stomach.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:53 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,596,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I've always taken it for my RA, but.... I have Psoriatic..... does that make a difference?
There is some evidence it helps psoriatic arthritis, just not as strong evidence.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:58 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,596,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Sorry not much evidence again for OA.

Try it yourself perhaps for a couple of months - be diligent to take the dose and rank your symptoms at beginning, middle and end to try to be objective as possible about it.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:11 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,850,794 times
Quote:
I'll wait for BG but I don't think it is as good for OA. My husband is developing OA in a shoulder (he is having his 4th surgery on it) and I asked the doc what we can do to prolong the shoulder OA, and he said the only thing that may help is glucosamine. My husband's GP said Meloxicam is better on the stomach than OTCs, for myself I disagree, Melosicam hurts my stomach.
4th shoulder surgery? Almost every time I hear Dr. Darrow who does the PRP/Stem Cells, he talks about how arthritis sets in immediately with these surgeries. I deal with two nasty shoulders and got some good relief with Prolo about 10 yrs ago, I could use more. I won't do any more replacements if I can help it.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
There is some evidence it helps psoriatic arthritis, just not as strong evidence.
There isn't a lot of Strong evidence for supplements in general, not a lot of money in supplements...my take on it all. The one great supp I take costs me about $15 or so for a several months' supply, not a huge profit making endeavor for the medical world...plus can't be patented.

One has to draw on faith that some of the supps will help them or just take drugs and do surgeries. We have choices.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
4th shoulder surgery? Almost every time I hear Dr. Darrow who does the PRP/Stem Cells, he talks about how arthritis sets in immediately with these surgeries. I deal with two nasty shoulders and got some good relief with Prolo about 10 yrs ago, I could use more. I won't do any more replacements if I can help it.
Does not apply to his situations.

Torn rotator cuff (I believe) happened at work so had a small surgery to fix it

Rolled an ATV on top of himself and tore out the tendon that holds down your collar bone. First surgery failed due to a horrible surgeon, long story. 2nd surgery to reattached (took tendon from leg) worked great.

Now MRI shows another torn tendon, and the possibility of a 2nd they will not see until the surgery, orthroscopic, and will secure tendons with anchors

I couldn't ask for better than his current surgeon. DH went through PT first to try and avoid surgery, but he looks like a mutant crab, on side of his body all huge muscles and the other side.... less. It hurts too much and no strength.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
\

One has to draw on faith that some of the supps will help them or just take drugs and do surgeries. We have choices.

I don't go on faith, I go on data and information. Faith is for religion.

I'll stay with the fish oil because it has other benefits for my conditions, NOTHING helps like Enbrel, but I try to do what I can to help minimize symptoms.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
I don't go on faith, I go on data and information. Faith is for religion.

I'll stay with the fish oil because it has other benefits for my conditions, NOTHING helps like Enbrel, but I try to do what I can to help minimize symptoms.
We'll just disagree, we all choose our ways and drugs are not my religion. I wish your DH good outcome. I have faith in a lot of things and am not religious in the sense of the word. I've developed a faith in supps for the last 25 some yrs. Arthritis is another thing and it just stays in our bodies...and I've been in the ER with the effects of a drug on my body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine