Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 09:58 PM

6,931 posts, read 6,865,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad
I have a new Doctor of Oriental Medicine, but I think I am going to stay mum for now. Tired of talking enthusiastically about things that don't pan out. I'm a little afraid this one is going push too hard to try to indoctrinate me.
You must already believe it might work because you seek a TCM doctor out to treat you. Really something that works should be good enough to stand on its own by showing its effectiveness. It should not have to be like a belief systems which is (sometimes) pushed onto people.

From my point of view, my father in law is 83 and still works at one of the best clinics of TCM in Beijing. he works mainly half-days, which makes a total of 3 full days a week (Sunday off). He does it because he loves helping people and believes it works. Chinese people seem to value the experience that older doctors have and they are in great demand because of this.

It seems to be another type of energy medicine which I believe all healing is, as we are energy beings in an energy world.

Although I have not experrienced it, cupping seems to work by encouraging the blood to come to the surface around a meridian energy point. It seems to be essentially causing a bruise on the skin as the marks left stay for a while and are purple. It seems to be used on flatter areas of the body whereas needles can be placed anywhere.

I recommend you read the book by Dr Robert Becker The Body Electric, he discovered and showed that healing was attributable to minute electric currents in the body which often caused cells to de-differentiate and then form the part of the body which needed healing or regenerating. There really is an enormous amount of scientific evidence for healing (and disease) through focus on very small electric currents of different kinds.

Perhaps the meridian system is the electric circuit of the body?

Last edited by ocpaul20; 05-30-2018 at 10:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 09:34 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,933,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
You must already believe it might work because you seek a TCM doctor out to treat you. Really something that works should be good enough to stand on its own by showing its effectiveness. It should not have to be like a belief systems which is (sometimes) pushed onto people.
The new doctor said something last session like: but you do realize that you have to believe in the process, because your mind controls the outcome, or something like that. I just didn't respond. Personally I believe it shouldn't depend on whether I believe or not. So I agree with you.

But it's okay. I am trying not to butt heads with everyone so much about everything, not because I want to be righteous or evolved or whatever, but just because it's causing too much trouble for me.

But I am aware that she has some sort of strong spiritual beliefs. She is probably some variety of Buddhist. I am worried she might eventually push the spirituality angle too much for me. She seems like the type of person who would say that real healing must be spiritual. I don't even consider myself spiritual, let alone religious.

Notice how easily I gave up my effort not talk about it.

And yes, NAET is a syncretistic system partly based on East Asian medicine.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:17 PM

3,075 posts, read 1,541,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Have you ever used Chinese Medicine or acupuncture to treat a medical condition? If yes, what was the condition -- and was your treatment successful?

Considering this modality for a chronic condition (high blood pressure) and wondering how effective it might be. I know my/our mileage may vary.

Seems the Chinese have been using their medicine for centuries...has to work in many cases I figure.

Once I did use acupuncture for a painful muscle spasm in my neck and got almost instant relief after one treatment...
I suppose Ill get criticized for this but acupuncture has been the only thing that works on my horse. She has an eye disease that can lead to blindness and eye removal. Most traditional western med treatments have not worked consistently if at all but acupuncture has. There is no placebo effect on a horse. If I knew a dr that uses it Id use it for myself. Well worth a try.

Old 06-02-2018, 10:29 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
I suppose Ill get criticized for this but acupuncture has been the only thing that works on my horse. She has an eye disease that can lead to blindness and eye removal. Most traditional western med treatments have not worked consistently if at all but acupuncture has. There is no placebo effect on a horse. If I knew a dr that uses it Id use it for myself. Well worth a try.
Interesting, glad it works...no criticism from me. I believe in acupuncture and even learned to do self acupuncture...which reminds me I need to buy a new order of the needles I use. Use it around my knee.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:41 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,933,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Considering this modality for a chronic condition (high blood pressure) and wondering how effective it might be. I know my/our mileage may vary.
I somehow missed this in the first post, the first time around. In my experience with acupuncture, it always lowers my blood pressure (which tends to lean high), at least temporarily, even when the doctor hasn't been doing anything particularly focused on my blood pressure. I don't monitor my blood pressure very closely though, so it's difficult to say how long the benefit lasted. My disappointment with acupuncture has been that the results it gets often are very temporary. This reminds me of a story a co-worker told me. She was pregnant and overdue to give birth. An acupuncturist came to her house and treated her. The acupuncturist successfully induced contractions; but once the acupuncturist packed up and left, my co-worker, who had hoped to be leaving for the hospital at that point, found that her contractions stopped.

If I were going to do acupuncture for my blood pressure, I would probably go to a community acupuncture center, for the reduced rates, since the cumulative effect would be what's most important, I think. In fact, if my experimentation with NAET and some specialized forms of acupuncture I haven't tried yet do not pan out (for allergies and barometric pressure sensitivity), I will probably give long-term community acupuncture a try, just to see what weekly sessions for a year or more might do for me.

Last edited by ApartmentNomad; 06-03-2018 at 08:50 AM..

Old 06-04-2018, 12:58 AM

Ok, two things I will mention here. Firstly, the acupuncture meridians are there whether you have acupuncture treatment or not, so you can treat yourself any way you like. That means you can do stretches which stimulate the meridians. You will need to read up on where each one goes, but basically they end in hands, feet and top of head, so this is an easily accessible access point. There are other modalities which use acupuncture meridians as a means to balance the body Shiatsu is one. Makaho(?) exercises are the ones taught by some schools Shiatsu which stretch the muscles (and so stimulate the meridians) and bring balance to the body.

Secondly, to say that thought does not effect your body is wrong thinking - it does. Not only the placebo effect (up to 30% effective) is one way in which our mental state effect the outcome of our health issues. Have you not heard of people overcoming seemingly terrible disease by the positive attitude they hold? Hypnosis has been proven to effect our perception of pain for example (both to feel it where there was none, and to not feel it where it was present). So, belief is a powerful enhancer of effect although I am not saying you have to accept anyones religious belief to get well, I am just saying there IS a link between mind and body - more than most people think.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:57 AM

1,183 posts, read 707,542 times
Chinese medicine continues to lead to the death of millions of animals each year, most of them endangered, and all based on hocus pocus like if a tiger is strong then eating part of a tiger will make you strong right? And other BS. Here's a recent article from the Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/27/m...mal-parts.html

Anyone indulging themselves in Chinese medicine should take care its a non-animal form and also ensure that their provider does not engage in the animal slaughter parts market. If your provider uses those medicines - or buys them for other patients - then move on to find a responsible provider or you are part of the market that's leading to extinction.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:52 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,752,657 times
I don’t have much luck with herbal medicine, but my doctor suggested I took some, I did oblige but it didn’t help much. Acupunture helps with stomach problem, arthritis, and ketone rash. But it’s a slow process. I never try with blood pressure. The best way to deal with blood pressure is to eat lots of vegs. Beet root, celery, etc...

Old 01-21-2019, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint
Chinese medicine continues to lead to the death of millions of animals each year, most of them endangered, and all based on hocus pocus like if a tiger is strong then eating part of a tiger will make you strong right? And other BS. Here's a recent article from the Times...
I agree, it does.

However, military action leads to millions of human casualties too. I am not saying animals are less than humans, I am saying there are larger issues to focus on.

If we dont accept accupuncture or TCM in general then try another modality.

I agree that bear bile harvested while the bears are still alive is brutal and uncaring. The military of all nations tests its weapons on soldiers and civillians. Human deforestation makes thousands of birds and animals extinct every year.

Lets not get into a moral quagmire which we cannot get out of.

I believe all modalities of healing use energy as the healing instrument which allows the body itself to bring back health. Each different way of healing is probably producing the same energy signatures from different products or practices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine