Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 12:32 AM

21,530 posts, read 8,716,437 times

Advertisements

I have been using indica strains for over two years now, and it does really help with insomnia. Smoking is too rough on my throat, so I sometimes vape but I prefer to use tinctures or edibles. These take about two hours for the full effect, but the sedation is more intense and lasts a lot longer than smoking. Cannabis seems to work best for me a sleep aid if I add some CBD and melatonin about an hour before bedtime. I use a syrup that contains both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 07:18 AM

965 posts, read 938,193 times
I never liked smoking it, and never enjoyed being high, but I am sold on the sleep benefits of edibles.

Op so glad you brought this up. I too have a fit bit, and I can see my deep and rem sleep. If I get enough deep and rem sleep I can tell even before I check it.

It is so simple to cut edibles into quarters, and try it out that way.
Only once did I try half first it is so easy to get the right amount if you start slowly. It is nice to see that others enjoy the benefits too.

I’ve tried (and still try) every sleep herb, and they might help, but they don’t put me to sleep. My insomnia is pretty severe I suppose, so it might work on others.
Melatonin will make me sleepy, but it is not meant to be used daily for longer than 2 weeks.
In some European countries melatonin is only give by prescription.

I have a script for pharmaceutical sleeping pills, and I use them when traveling for the most part.
Can’t travel with my edibles (yet) go figure. Pharma legal, a few tiny little gummies, not...

Old 07-05-2018, 05:23 PM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I live in NV and it's legal here.
Might work for you too!
My sister just got on it for sleep. She has struggled with sleep her entire life and she reports it is a miracle - she thought she had sleep apnea but her husband reports she doesn't snore at all with it while she does when off.

It is just about to be made legal here and I am definitely picking some up as soon as I can.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:29 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
My sister just got on it for sleep. She has struggled with sleep her entire life and she reports it is a miracle - she thought she had sleep apnea but her husband reports she doesn't snore at all with it while she does when off.

It is just about to be made legal here and I am definitely picking some up as soon as I can.

You can have apnea with no snoring.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-06-2018, 12:34 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Wow, did some research on kava, and that stuff sounds scary! According to several websites (including Dr. Axe) even short term use can cause LIVER FAILURE in some people! No thanks, for me I just would not take the chance. I think one needs to use extreme caution before mindlessly ingesting herbs. I have cut way back on the supplements I take, no one is meant to take any herb long term.

Hops have a nice sedative effect.

Old 07-06-2018, 01:16 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Wow, did some research on kava, and that stuff sounds scary! According to several websites (including Dr. Axe) even short term use can cause LIVER FAILURE in some people! No thanks, for me I just would not take the chance. I think one needs to use extreme caution before mindlessly ingesting herbs. I have cut way back on the supplements I take, no one is meant to take any herb long term.

Hops have a nice sedative effect.
You choice of course but I don't buy into the hype that quickly anyway. I tend to think in logical terms.

Quote:
Apparently liver damage due to kava consumption has not been a concern among people in the South Pacific, in spite of its use for generations.
It is sold on Amazon and there are many reviews. I can personally report no ill effects. The source I'm sure has a lot to do with it. It must be pure and extracted safely. Only the root should be consumed. Since supplements are not regulated you must buy from a reputable source. The people that have used it for centuries process it by just soaking it in water and making a drink from it. Not only that, it is gaining in popularity in the US with Kava "Bars" opening up, much like a regular bar. I've heard of them mainly in California and Hawaii but they are now all over the country including the east coast. Do you think if it were that dangerous, it would be that popular with apparently no complaints from anybody.

What's Behind The Intoxicating Rise Of Kava Bars In The U.S.

The FDA alerts are from 2002, 16 years ago? Not that it matters, it should still be used responsibly and not by people with liver problems. It should not be used in large amounts for long term or mixed with alcohol.

Quote:
Although liver damage appears to be rare, the FDA believes consumers should be informed of this potential risk. Kava, a member of the pepper family, is an herbal supplement. Products containing kava are sold in the United States for a variety of uses, including insomnia and short-term reduction of stress and anxiety. These products are marketed to men, women, children, and the elderly.
There is now an updated advisory which makes more sense.

Quote:
The appearance of severe liver toxicity in patients in Europe followed decisions to import the stems and leaves of the kava plant even though traditional preparations used only the roots. Research has identified toxic compounds found in the stem and leaves that are not found in the kava root. The World Health Organization has joined with the Natural Standard Research Collaboration (NSRC) to issue an updated report on the hepatotoxicity of kava.
Full Article: Safety of Kava for Patients with Mild Anxiety Disorders

Old 07-09-2018, 09:05 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
tried Kratom for the first time this year....veeeery nice.
For me, the effect was very similar to ingesting the cannabis oil or edibles.
If it were easily attainable here (which it is definitely not) I'd switch to it because the price that was paid for it....a friend got it for me..... (from some tiny little dispensary that sold all kinds of healing herbs and compounds made from them) was significantly LESS than the price of good cannabis oils and edibles.
The effect was a very calming, content feeling....made for a great sleep with less pain.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
tried Kratom for the first time this year....veeeery nice.
For me, the effect was very similar to ingesting the cannabis oil or edibles.
If it were easily attainable here (which it is definitely not) I'd switch to it because the price that was paid for it....a friend got it for me..... (from some tiny little dispensary that sold all kinds of healing herbs and compounds made from them) was significantly LESS than the price of good cannabis oils and edibles.
The effect was a very calming, content feeling....made for a great sleep with less pain.
I second the rec for the Kratom. I had not mentioned it in this thread because I already had in another. It is controversial and many cannot agree on whether it's a good thing or bad. I think this comes from people that have not tried it and are basically ignorant about it. They fall for the hype and misinformation. Oh, it's addictive, it's dangerous etc. What ISN'T addictive? Even food is addictive, look at sugar for one. How healthy is that? I think anything has the potential for misuse but I also think that anything that is a plant and is natural has the potential to be a benefit.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:57 AM

Here's an informative article about the Kava in which they bring up the liver toxicity issue and apparently it has been debunked. There is other useful information as well.

10 Things You Need to Know About Kava
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine