Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 04:12 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Very interesting, and I suspect that not drinking enough water for decades contributed to me getting high blood pressure. Over the past few months I've started buying flavored carbonated water at the store, which has a pretty good taste (and a lot of different flavors). I'm also taking BP medication, and the last time I was at the doctor it was improved quite a bit. So maybe the water does help.
I don't have answers for everyone but I believe MOST drink so little water thru their days. My parents did not and took BP meds for as long as I knew them. Mom drank a glass here and there, I never saw a glass of water in dad's hands,,beer bottles yes but that's not pure water. Think about it. We know so little about the human body and how it all works and we don't learn from the docs.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 09-15-2018 at 04:43 PM..

Old 09-15-2018, 04:41 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,666,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I don't have answers for everyone but I believe MOST drink so little water thru their days. My parents did not and took BP meds for as long as I knew them. Mom drank a glass here and there, I never saw a glass of water in dad's hands,,beer bottles yes but that's not pure water. Think about it.
What do you think diuretics, often used for people who have high blood pressure, do exactly? Think about it.

Old 09-15-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
What do you think diuretics, often used for people who have high blood pressure, do exactly? Think about it.
This is what the MD first put me on way back. I know what they are about. It's the sodium connection we have to look at with the water flushing.

And I'm not telling people what to do, just bringing attention to this subject.

Just talking to a friend and she says when something feels "off" for her, she grabs a glass of water.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 09-15-2018 at 05:01 PM..

Old 09-15-2018, 05:08 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,325,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Make you pee!

Old 09-15-2018, 05:46 PM

14,933 posts, read 12,130,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I drink a lot of water - I am thirsty a lot as I live in Florida and it is very hot and humid here. I am active and work out, get sun every day. I lose a lot through my SWEAT! During summer months it can be a challenge to stay hydrated.
I drink quite a bit of water too. I also exercise and watch my diet. But I still have to take medication to keep my blood pressure under control.

Old 09-15-2018, 05:49 PM

14,933 posts, read 12,130,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
This is what the MD first put me on way back. I know what they are about. It's the sodium connection we have to look at with the water flushing.

And I'm not telling people what to do, just bringing attention to this subject.

Just talking to a friend and she says when something feels "off" for her, she grabs a glass of water.
Your friend might feel off if she is dehydrated and a glass of water makes her feel better. But it won't improve any ongoing issues with hypertension that she may have.

Old 09-15-2018, 06:19 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,325,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I drink quite a bit of water too. I also exercise and watch my diet. But I still have to take medication to keep my blood pressure under control.
Don't forget the genetic factor, sometimes people are the perfect picture of health and have a heart attack, look at Bob Harper, the personal trainer from The Biggest Loser.

Old 09-15-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Don't forget the genetic factor, sometimes people are the perfect picture of health and have a heart attack, look at Bob Harper, the personal trainer from The Biggest Loser.
And then there are those who smoke and drink lots of coffee into their 80's and live on. I know one person now in this category and another person died at 90something a few yrs ago.

Old 09-15-2018, 07:12 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,373,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Too much water can be dangerous too. My dad had a seizure because he drank too much water (he had dementia and couldn't remember how much he had already had).
This is what so many people don't realize. Even 10 glasses of water a day could cause an electrolyte imbalance.

We already get water from food we eat and other beverages that we drink.

There was also a study that showed that people who drank lots of water over a period of decline, showed a decrease in kidney function. I'll see if I can find it and post it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine