Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 11:15 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times

Advertisements

Thanks Travelassie, that's what I meant.

For the dry cough I had (made my throat insanely dry), I used a spray called Spry, which gave a coating of moisture, that and the super menthol Halls drops.

I think I mentioned up thread.... my cough was caused by Quinaprel, but I didn't realize it at the time. Cold, dry air made it worse.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 11:17 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,556,680 times
OP,

When the weather gets colder around this time of the year I have a particularly bad problem (due to allergies) with thick phlegm forming at the back of my throat. It is a gagging sort of cough I get first thing in the morning due to the phlegm.

I discovered a few years ago to squeeze fresh lemon juice into 1/3 cup of water that has been heated in the microwave (warm, not hot) . Take 4 or 5 sips and the phlegm breaks up and I am good all day. You could also try it before you go to bed.

The artificial lemon juice in a bottle does not work. However, I can add the juice of 2 lemons to a cup of water and pour that mixture into one of those small ice cube trays and freeze it. Then, I simply heat 1/3 of a cup of water in the microwave in the morning and add one small ice cube to the cup. It works just the same as if I had just squeezed fresh lemon juice into the cup.

Four or five sips does the trick to break up the phlegm all day. Take too much and my sinuses will drain non stop all day.

Old 10-28-2018, 11:22 AM

14,935 posts, read 12,132,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
OP,

When the weather gets colder around this time of the year I have a particularly bad problem (due to allergies) with thick phlegm forming at the back of my throat. It is a gagging sort of cough I get first thing in the morning due to the phlegm.

I discovered a few years ago to squeeze fresh lemon juice into 1/3 cup of water that has been heated in the microwave (warm, not hot) . Take 4 or 5 sips and the phlegm breaks up and I am good all day. You could also try it before you go to bed.

The artificial lemon juice in a bottle does not work. However, I can add the juice of 2 lemons to a cup of water and pour that mixture into one of those small ice cube trays and freeze it. Then, I simply heat 1/3 of a cup of water in the microwave in the morning and add one small ice cube to the cup. It works just the same as if I had just squeezed fresh lemon juice into the cup.

Four or five sips does the trick to break up the phlegm all day. Take too much and my sinuses will drain non stop all day.

I learned some years ago that this is also what professional singers use to clear any mucus out of their throats before a performance. Seems to work fof them!

Old 10-28-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Thanks Travelassie, that's what I meant.

For the dry cough I had (made my throat insanely dry), I used a spray called Spry, which gave a coating of moisture, that and the super menthol Halls drops.

I think I mentioned up thread.... my cough was caused by Quinaprel, but I didn't realize it at the time. Cold, dry air made it worse.
As I read, it's the ACE inhibitor class of blood pressure meds that can cause coughing as a side effect. I've heard a number of people (including my mother), say that Lisinopril made them cough.

Sometimes cold dry air (which we don't have a whole lot of here in this neck of the woods, LOL) makes me cough too, though I don't have a chronic dry cough, thank goodness. I always thought that might be due to laryngeal or bronchial spasms in reaction to sudden exposure to the cold air, perhaps. At least for me, because it seemed to happen only when I first went outside into cold weather from a warm building.

Old 10-28-2018, 11:38 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
People might be pleasantly surprised if they took good daily doses of antioxidants, coughs may be a thing in their history. I have a distant memory of coughs before I started my antioxidants about 25 yrs ago.

Of course, I would add Grape Seed Ex and Vit C to the supplement area of this link:

https://lunginstitute.com/blog/stop-...ase-breathing/

Last edited by jaminhealth; 10-28-2018 at 11:49 AM..

Old 10-28-2018, 11:44 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
As I read, it's the ACE inhibitor class of blood pressure meds that can cause coughing as a side effect. I've heard a number of people (including my mother), say that Lisinopril made them cough.

Sometimes cold dry air (which we don't have a whole lot of here in this neck of the woods, LOL) makes me cough too, though I don't have a chronic dry cough, thank goodness. I always thought that might be due to laryngeal or bronchial spasms in reaction to sudden exposure to the cold air, perhaps. At least for me, because it seemed to happen only when I first went outside into cold weather from a warm building.

Our dry cold air is from the A/C. Which I need to sleep, but causes me to cough... which makes me lose sleep....

For a while is was a HUGE problem, so if I need to go back onto BP meds, I am going to try something different.

Most cough drops didn't work, but the double menthol ones helped.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-28-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Our dry cold air is from the A/C. Which I need to sleep, but causes me to cough... which makes me lose sleep....

For a while is was a HUGE problem, so if I need to go back onto BP meds, I am going to try something different.

Most cough drops didn't work, but the double menthol ones helped.
That's some AC! I think it must be the contrast between the temperature and humidity when one changes to various locations, whether it's inside to out or vice versa. My guess anyway.

Hope you get to kiss those BP meds goodbye forever, but in the event you can't it sounds like you'll need to stay away from the ACE inhibitors (including the one you mentioned, and Lisinopril) to avoid their side effects.

I like those double menthol cough drops too. I find they give you a BIG WHOOSH of menthol in your mouth and throat, and you forget you had to cough. And the feeling lasts for a while.

Old 10-28-2018, 12:18 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,279,380 times
Dairy is a mucous producer. In some individuals, it will cause constant nasal drip, which will in turn cause coughing that never stops, especially at night. But you said it's like a tickle at the back of your throat. Like others said above, some medications cause it, like lisinopril and other blood pressure medications.

Pineapple juice helps reduce coughing, so you could try that after dinner. And other times during the day. It tastes great. My husband was always coughing a lot and clearing his throat, chronically for years, so a friend told me about the pineapple juice and it works great for him. No more issues. We just buy the canned Dole juice, transfer it to a pitcher for the refrigerator.

Old 10-28-2018, 01:11 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
Pineapple is an antioxidant and anti inflammatory:

https://www.organicfacts.net/health-...ineapples.html

I will buy pineapple chucks in the product/fruit section as I do like pineapple.

Old 10-28-2018, 01:21 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Dairy is a mucous producer. In some individuals, it will cause constant nasal drip, which will in turn cause coughing that never stops, especially at night. But you said it's like a tickle at the back of your throat. Like others said above, some medications cause it, like lisinopril and other blood pressure medications.

Pineapple juice helps reduce coughing, so you could try that after dinner. And other times during the day. It tastes great. My husband was always coughing a lot and clearing his throat, chronically for years, so a friend told me about the pineapple juice and it works great for him. No more issues. We just buy the canned Dole juice, transfer it to a pitcher for the refrigerator.
Nope, dairy does not increase mucus production. These researchers infected an experimental group with a cold virus and then measured mucus production. There was no difference in the amount of mucus between those who drank milk and consumed dairy products and those that did not.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2154152
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine