Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 12:51 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,261,461 times

Advertisements

I've had a list of weird symptoms that I've developed over the past 2-3 years. My blood tests at my doctor have all come back completely normal. I'm the spitting image of health according to my bloodwork yet I feel crappy majority of the time. And just to note, I'm NOT overweight - I'm 5'5" and 127 pounds.

Some of the symptoms I've had that have just appeared out of nowhere are the following:
- puffy face and puffy eyelids

- acne, especially some cystic acne along my chin
- little bit of acne on my upper back
- sinus issues especially at night, my nose just gets stuffy at night for some reason
- insomnia
- oral thrush - white coating on tongue
- fatigue and brain fog
- painful periods and painful ovulation

The biggest thing that triggered my thoughts on this is the puffy face/eyelids. I was looking at pictures of myself now compared to a few years ago and I had such a healthier looking face, just like... thinner and not inflamed i guess is the best way to describe it. And again, it's not that i have to lose weight, I'm a healthy weight... it's something else. Something just feels "off". And the pics side by side of my puffy eyelids show quite a dramatic difference IMO.

Several people have recommended doing the keto diet and it seems like it's some magical diet that will cure you of all your miscellaneous ailments, so curious what you guys think or if anyone here has tried it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 01:21 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,740,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
I've had a list of weird symptoms that I've developed over the past 2-3 years. My blood tests at my doctor have all come back completely normal. I'm the spitting image of health according to my bloodwork yet I feel crappy majority of the time. And just to note, I'm NOT overweight - I'm 5'5" and 127 pounds.

Some of the symptoms I've had that have just appeared out of nowhere are the following:

- sinus issues especially at night, my nose just gets stuffy at night for some reason
- insomnia
- fatigue and brain fog

The biggest thing that triggered my thoughts on this is the puffy face/eyelids. I was looking at pictures of myself now compared to a few years ago and I had such a healthier looking face, just like... thinner and not inflamed i guess is the best way to describe it. And again, it's not that i have to lose weight, I'm a healthy weight... it's something else. Something just feels "off". And the pics side by side of my puffy eyelids show quite a dramatic difference IMO.

Several people have recommended doing the keto diet and it seems like it's some magical diet that will cure you of all your miscellaneous ailments, so curious what you guys think or if anyone here has tried it.
How old are you? It sounds like you might have a hormonal issue. Are you on birth control? Are you of an age where you might be in perimenopause?

Old 09-09-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
How old are you? It sounds like you might have a hormonal issue. Are you on birth control? Are you of an age where you might be in perimenopause?

I'm only 31 (turning 32 in a few weeks). Not on birth control and never have been. I suspected a thyroid issue for a while but I went to an endocrinologist and she said my bloodwork was fine and there was no thyroid issue. That's why I'm at a loss....

Old 09-10-2019, 07:55 AM

1,628 posts, read 1,369,587 times
How much sugar/carbs do you currently eat?

Too much sugar/carbs can contribute to pretty much all your symptoms except possibly the painful periods/ovulation. But stress also contributes to the acne, insomnia, and painful periods/ovulation. So I would say try keto and see if cutting out the sugar/carbs helps at least some of your symptoms. Also maybe look at ways to deal with and calm your stress level.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
How much sugar/carbs do you currently eat?

Too much sugar/carbs can contribute to pretty much all your symptoms except possibly the painful periods/ovulation. But stress also contributes to the acne, insomnia, and painful periods/ovulation. So I would say try keto and see if cutting out the sugar/carbs helps at least some of your symptoms. Also maybe look at ways to deal with and calm your stress level.

Thanks. I don't feel too stressed... but I could work on that for sure.

I started keto and honestly I feel awful lol. I know sometimes you feel worse before you feel better though. I guess I'll try to stick with it. It's SO restrictive.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:27 AM

3,125 posts, read 2,095,239 times
Quote:

- insomnia
- fatigue and brain fog

What is your diet like now?

ETA, or rather, before you started this. I just saw your last post saying that you've started the diet but feel awful. Why continue? Sounds like the diet is not compatible with whatever the source(s) of your underlying issue and could be detrimental. High fat diets are not good for many people.

I disagree with restrictive diets unless you are treating something specific and know what it is.

Last edited by SimplySagacious; 09-10-2019 at 08:47 AM..

Old 09-10-2019, 08:31 AM

1,628 posts, read 1,369,587 times
Yeah, you will feel cruddy until your body gets used to burning fat instead of sugar for fuel. But then after a few days your blood sugar will start to decrease and even out, which should help with the brain fog, fatigue, insomnia, thrush, and possibly the acne. Try to stick with it for a least a few months to give your body a fair chance to readjust and reset itself.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:45 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,525,518 times
Quote:
Thanks. I don't feel too stressed... but I could work on that for sure.

I started keto and honestly I feel awful lol. I know sometimes you feel worse before you feel better though. I guess I'll try to stick with it. It's SO restrictive.
The transition period is hard but not impossible. You will get through it. Carbs ARE sugar (glucose) at the molecular level. Switching from one fuel to another will take a little time.

It is NOT restrictive at all. Every single thing in a "regular" diet, you can find substitutes for. You just have to learn about those things. Bread and pastries for sure, you can find low carb substitutes, even Pasta. It does help if you cook. If you don't cook, you can buy low carb items although they cost more.

Name one item you are having trouble with and I may be able to suggest a substitute.

Old 09-10-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
What is your diet like now?

ETA, or rather, before you started this. I just saw your last post saying that you've started the diet but feel awful. Why continue? Sounds like the diet is not compatible with whatever the source(s) of your underlying issue and could be detrimental. High fat diets are not good for many people.

I disagree with restrictive diets unless you are treating something specific and know what it is.

My diet before consisted of the following:

-breakfast - usually eggs with toast (but white bread toast) or i would have a smoothie with spinach, banana, protein powder, and berries; once in a blue I'd have protein waffles
-lunch - usually a salad with grilled chicken, cucumbers, tomatoes, feta, croutons; sometimes I would make a wrap with cold cuts
-dinner - always a toss up; sometimes I pick something up (pizza, panera, wrap); sometimes I meal prep which would be some kind of meat with veggies and a carb like rice or potatoes
-snacks usually are 1 of the following - piece of fruit with peanut butter or almond butter, popcorn, rice cakes, celery sticks, crackers with cheese or hummus

It's not the best but it's not the worst... The thing is is that I haven't changed my diet much over the past 10 years so for these symptoms to come on out of nowhere about 2 years ago doesn't really make sense to me. Not sure what is triggering it.

Old 09-10-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
The transition period is hard but not impossible. You will get through it. Carbs ARE sugar (glucose) at the molecular level. Switching from one fuel to another will take a little time.

It is NOT restrictive at all. Every single thing in a "regular" diet, you can find substitutes for. You just have to learn about those things. Bread and pastries for sure, you can find low carb substitutes, even Pasta. It does help if you cook. If you don't cook, you can buy low carb items although they cost more.

Name one item you are having trouble with and I may be able to suggest a substitute.

Yes that's exactly my problem. I'm not the greatest cook and I like to do meal prep in advance on Sundays so I have it for the week (I work full time and get home late and usually do the gym so it's tough to cook during weekdays)... i feel like a lot of the keto meals aren't meal prep-able... it's usually like steak, sausage, burgers... those don't hold up well over 4 days.

Thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine