Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 02:07 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,254,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Probably just a few weeks for someone like you with no known illnesses.

All of your symptoms could be, and often are, the result of vitamin and mineral deficiencies. Suggestion: look up the vitamin and mineral deficiencies that can cause each of your symptoms and increase nutrient rich foods accordingly. In any case, eliminating dairy for a while is a good idea.

Your range of foods/nutrients sounds limited. You could reduce eggs and replace some servings with other nutrient-dense foods to include a broader range of nutrients. If you still have issues with reduced eggs, you could eliminate for some time to see if you improve. Eliminate processed and restaurant foods - the cold cuts, pizzas, wraps, powdered foods, panera, waffles, etc. - and replace them with nutrient-dense whole foods. It might be worth it to reduce gym time temporarily to give you more time to develop your diet. Changing the way you eat is time-consuming at first but it's easy once you figure it out.

But when I go to a place like panera I'm making a healthy choice - I get a cobb salad let's say - it's greens, chicken, tomatos, avacado, onions, egg... so aren't those mostly whole foods? again, not doubting your advice, I'm just trying to understand what the difference is between that and making that same thing at home. Obviously if i got the grilled cheese from panera I would totally understand what you're saying. As for the waffles and pizza, yes that I should def swap for something more nutritious. I guess I'm just trying to understand where/when to draw the line between nutritious and not.

Is oatmeal a good swap for breakfast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 02:40 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
The only reason I suspect eggs is that the symptoms seemed to develop around the time when i started eating 3 eggs a day... I realize now that 21 eggs a week is a bit much. Not saying i can NEVER have eggs, but maybe much less would be better.

I do remember reading that eggs can be a high inflammatory food. I know the AIP diet says no eggs.
Did you read the article? It describes some of your symptoms exactly.

IMO, there is nothing in eggs that would cause inflammation. In fact, it's the opposite. Good quality eggs provide the omega-3's and fat soluble vitamins that we all need.

Old 09-19-2019, 03:08 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Did you read the article? It describes some of your symptoms exactly.

IMO, there is nothing in eggs that would cause inflammation. In fact, it's the opposite. Good quality eggs provide the omega-3's and fat soluble vitamins that we all need.
That is your opinion. The reality is that eggs are one of the most common food allergens and many people are either allergic or intolerant to eggs. If the OP noticed that her symptoms started when she increased her egg intake, it makes sense that she might have an egg intolerance. People with an intolerance can usually handle small amounts of an item, but once you reach that limit, you start to develop symptoms like skin issues, lethargy, fatigue, digestive problems, etc.

OP, I’d say cut out eggs for now and see if you feel better. It seems like the most obvious choice. 3 eggs a day IS a lot, particularly if you are intolerant. I am dairy intolerant and can have some milk, but I know my limit. If you start to feel better, see if you can have one egg without issues, or maybe 2 medium (instead of large) eggs without issues.

Old 09-19-2019, 04:36 PM

1,625 posts, read 1,356,455 times
I have heard that some people consider eggs to be dairy because they can cause similar symptoms in the body.

Old 09-19-2019, 07:06 PM

28,668 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
I have heard that some people consider eggs to be dairy because they can cause similar symptoms in the body.
Eggs have long been lumped into "dairy" because they historically came from the same farmers and were delivered to the kitchen door by the same companies.

Had nothing to do with symptoms (which people appeared not to have back in the day--before growth hormones and antibiotics became commonplace).

Old 09-20-2019, 07:17 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It could be you are just allergic to something you’re are eating. Why not start with no gluten? Maybe you don’t need to go full tilt Keto.

I went low carb for a year, and felt very good. My issues were mostly digestive and I felt great without flour and sugar. I tried to stay under 25 grams at first, but for the long haul I loosened it up to include root vegetables and fruit, and weekly pasta.

The downfall for me was breakfast. There is practically nothing to eat but eggs and meat, day in day out. Even though I reintroduced grains and went back to a regular diet, the residual is that I don’t crave sweetness, and I dont like bread very much, unless it’s really really good. I dont like pizza much anymore and I’d still rather skip the bun on a burger.
I found a great recipe for Keto bread (not gluten free) which works great toasted with cheese as a breakfast option as well. Plus Keto pancakes and waffles.

Old 09-20-2019, 07:50 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
That is your opinion.
Really? Did you see the letters in caps preceding the sentence? IMO. Do you know what that means?

And, her problem is NOT allergies. It's inflammation.

The article I posted mentions some of her symptoms like acne and states the culprit could be the hormones which are not in eggs.

Old 09-20-2019, 08:41 AM

28,668 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
Several people have recommended doing the keto diet and it seems like it's some magical diet that will cure you of all your miscellaneous ailments, so curious what you guys think or if anyone here has tried it.
Going back to the OP.

I've been around bodybuilders for decades and saw them going on the keto diet prior to shows...and only prior to shows, because it was hell on them. The keto diet is getting a lot of play these days, but the fact is that it's an extreme diet for a specific purpose. It's not a style for life....extreme diets never are. Such extreme diets exchange a certain measure of real health and life-practicality for ideology (and that includes veganism).

There is enough information out there to suggest eliminating certain types of foods temporarily from an otherwise normal diet to see if you are adversely affected by those foods.

Eliminating wheat for a while, for instance. Or milk products. There is a lot of fairly recent susceptibility to issues from wheat and milk these days because they have been greatly changed by modern production methods. It's certainly worth a shot to try eliminating either of those for a while--and eliminating either of those for a while won't introduce any other issues.

Old 09-21-2019, 08:18 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
I don't know if I adhere to strict keto. I do eat ver low carb, higher fat and higher protein. I don't eat processed food. I make my own dressings and mayo and, really, it's not hard. I suspect my protein is a little too high for keto and my fat a little too high for atkins.

I can tell you this: I avoid sugar and simple carbs. A brief list of foods I eat: eggs, avocado, mayo, butter, cheese, tons of non starchy veggies (I stir fry or make salads), chicken, beef, nuts and seeds. I actually eat more veggies than I've ever eaten before. I drink lots of water, some coffee, the occasional diet cola, and occasional alcoholic drink.

I did need to lose weight and I have. I'm not sure if my health improvements are because of weight loss or diet. I can tell you prior to losing weight, all of my numbers were okay except for inflammation. My inflammation has gone down. I don't have skin issues anymore, my joint pain is pretty much gone, my mental clarity is much improved and I just feel better. My energy is thru the roof. I'm more positive, too. I'm not hungry. For me that is huge because I was always hungry before.

I have lost weight other ways and I didn't get as many positive effects as I'm having now. For one thing, I always felt run-down and hungry on other eating plans.

If I eat sugar or carbs now, I feel really ill. I get sluggish and I'm starving. Like, I could eat an entire cake starving. It's not worth it to me. I still really like the taste of the junk, though.

I have been eating this way since Christmas Day 2018. It was actually my Christmas present to myself. I plan to continue indefinitely.

Old 09-21-2019, 06:52 PM

2,530 posts, read 1,863,511 times
Lost 15-20 pounds over the month of the May. Went from about 197 to around 180. I cut out almost all carbs, cut down on sodas, replaced them with carbonated flavored water. Stopped putting sugar and milk in coffee on a daily basis and instead do it twice a month as a treat. instead I put chia seeds in my coffee and keep it black. Every morning I eat bacon and eggs, sometimes cheese grits in addition. Lunch and supper usually consist of a meat and veggies or quinoa. I keep my suppers small now. Snacks are usually greek yogurt, mozzarella cheese, lots of berries, oranges and apples. I replaced potato chips with nuts. Almonds, pistachios, sunflower. Also after waking up and before breakfast, I drink 3 cups of water with apple cider vinegar. Seems to keep my acid reflux in check. My weight loss has slowed down but am nearing 170 at this point. Would like to go down to 155. But I am glad I've lost almost 30 lbs since May. My pants are getting too loose though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine