Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2020, 03:21 PM

3,462 posts, read 2,446,040 times

Advertisements

I see a lot of selfishness here. Handwashing isn't important, just to prevent YOU from getting the virus. It also will help everyone ELSE from getting it from you!

If you have a top-notch immune system, and are 100% immune to getting sick from COVID-19...

YOU CAN STILL BE A CARRIER AND INFECT OTHER PEOPLE.

So wash your hands - that is more important to humanity, than your personal immune system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2020, 04:39 PM

3,125 posts, read 2,078,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
I see a lot of selfishness here. Handwashing isn't important, just to prevent YOU from getting the virus. It also will help everyone ELSE from getting it from you!

If you have a top-notch immune system, and are 100% immune to getting sick from COVID-19...

YOU CAN STILL BE A CARRIER AND INFECT OTHER PEOPLE.

So wash your hands - that is more important to humanity, than your personal immune system.
I don't think anyone said not to wash your hands. In fact, I included it and wearing gloves and using sanitizers in the OP. However, none of that will prevent you from getting a virus or infecting other people; it only reduces risk.

I had no idea until now that so many people either weren't washing their hands or didn't know to until the CDC told them to. No wonder so many people get sick and die from seasonal flu. It seems these are the people that assume no one else was doing it since they weren't.

Taking care of my health to the best of my ability so that I don't get sick in the first place is good for both me and humanity.

Old 03-24-2020, 04:52 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,797,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
I don't think anyone said not to wash your hands. In fact, I included it and wearing gloves and using sanitizers in the OP. However, none of that will prevent you from getting a virus or infecting other people; it only reduces risk.

I had no idea until now that so many people either weren't washing their hands or didn't know to until the CDC told them to. No wonder so many people get sick and die from seasonal flu. It seems these are the people that assume no one else was doing it since they weren't.

Taking care of my health to the best of my ability so that I don't get sick in the first place is good for both me and humanity.
I've never been a huge hand washer, but hands are in water enough and I'm pretty clean person overall. And I've been supplementing for 30 yrs soon and no colds, flu etc etc in all those years.

I'm experiencing late deliveries on supplements as the companies are having delays in their products to send to customers.

Maybe just maybe some good will come out of all this, people will keep themselves healthier .....maybe.

Old 03-24-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I've never been a huge hand washer, but hands are in water enough and I'm pretty clean person overall. And I've been supplementing for 30 yrs soon and no colds, flu etc etc in all those years.

I'm experiencing late deliveries on supplements as the companies are having delays in their products to send to customers.

Maybe just maybe some good will come out of all this, people will keep themselves healthier .....maybe.
I'm not OCD about hand washing either and don't get sick. I started getting extra stock of things I use back in January when I first read about this virus. Good thing I did because my sources were sold out by the end of February and haven't restocked.

Old 03-24-2020, 05:41 PM

5,723 posts, read 4,312,809 times
Quote:
I haven't seen any evidence from either traditional or conventional medicine that there is no short term gain from the listed healthy ways to strengthen the immune system.

Its up to the person making the claim to prove their claim. Until evidence supporting a claim/belief is put forth, the claim/belief is unsupported.In this case the implied claim is rapid immunological benefit from the things you mentioned.

Quote:

You can't prevent a virus from entering your body.You can only reduce the risk. Washing hands reduces the risk but doesn't prevent you from getting sick. Avoiding crowds reduces the risk but doesn't prevent it. Avoiding crowds is more about minimizing the number of infected than it is about protecting you. If one person in a group of 10 is sick, potentially 10 people get sick instead of 100.

Better to equip the body to fight it as it is designed to do so that you can survive it.

All the more reason not to abuse it.

Be that as it may, washing hands and avoiding people are still more important in the immediate future. Unlike the things you listed, they are known and proven ways to stay healthy right now.

Old 03-24-2020, 08:06 PM

37,157 posts, read 41,350,718 times
You may have a magnificent immune system and still get infected with a virus if you have never been exposed to it before.

Once you have been infected the immune response varies from person to person and probably depends more on genetics than diet or anything you can modify.

For example, I suspect we would all consider this gentleman to be in robust good health:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...virus-n1166961

Old 03-24-2020, 09:36 PM

19,229 posts, read 16,745,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You may have a magnificent immune system and still get infected with a virus if you have never been exposed to it before.

Once you have been infected the immune response varies from person to person and probably depends more on genetics than diet or anything you can modify.

For example, I suspect we would all consider this gentleman to be in robust good health:

Very true and as he stated, it's the worst thing he's ever felt. He'll most likely come through it because he was in good health before being infected. It's those who are older or have a compromised immune system with underlying problems, such as heart, respiratory, kidney or other conditions. Even young people have heart problems or breathing problems like asthma. It's those groups of people that have to be especially careful. It's definitely more than just washing your hands although that's a good thing and I'd like more people doing it; especially servers in restaurants who deliver your meal after leaving the restroom.

Old 03-24-2020, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Its up to the person making the claim to prove their claim. Until evidence supporting a claim/belief is put forth, the claim/belief is unsupported.In this case the implied claim is rapid immunological benefit from the things you mentioned.

Be that as it may, washing hands and avoiding people are still more important in the immediate future. Unlike the things you listed, they are known and proven ways to stay healthy right now.

I didn't ask you to prove your opinion that the immune system can't be strengthened in the short term. It's against the rules here to demand proof. I said that I haven't seen evidence from either traditional or conventional medicine that it can't be.

There is considerable medical knowledge about the short term impact on the immune system using the strategies outlined in the OP. It doesn't take years or even months for these strategies to improve and maintain the immune system.
Diet. Nutritional changes that impact the immune system can be made immediately for short term benefit. Nutritional deficiencies that impact the immune system can also be remedied immediately for short term benefit.
Exercise. Moderate physical activity. Can be done immediately for short term benefit.
Adequate sleep. Can be done immediately for short term benefit. If someone has chronic sleep issues/sleep deprivation, it can take longer to remedy but improvement can begin in the short term.
Reduce stress. Can be done immediately for short term benefit. If chronic stress, may take longer but working toward reducing and managing it can provide short term benefits.
If you don't want to put forth the effort - don't - but don't try to mislead others.

Last edited by SimplySagacious; 03-24-2020 at 11:06 PM..

Old 03-24-2020, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

Actually, no, I wouldn't automatically assume that he is in robust good health. Haven't seen him since he retired and don't know what he has been doing. He could be chronically stressed, fatigued, sleep deprived, nutritionally deficient, or have an underlying condition.

Old 03-25-2020, 04:59 AM

239 posts, read 159,047 times
Quote:
Haven't seen him since he retired and don't know what he has been doing. He could be chronically stressed, fatigued, sleep deprived, nutritionally deficient, or have an underlying condition.
Or he may have just ignored the advice to avoid crowds and wash his hands frequently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine