Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 09:46 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,069,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerTheDoger View Post
Or he may have just ignored the advice to avoid crowds and wash his hands frequently.
Or maybe he did follow it. Maybe he followed the stupid advice to avoid groups larger than 10 because we all know there can't be any sick people in groups of 10 or less. Maybe he didn't realize that washing his hands wouldn't protect him from a virus that could be airborne.

Fortunately it didn't hospitalize or kill him because --- his immune system.

Last edited by SimplySagacious; 03-25-2020 at 10:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2020, 11:55 AM

37,104 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Actually, no, I wouldn't automatically assume that he is in robust good health. Haven't seen him since he retired and don't know what he has been doing. He could be chronically stressed, fatigued, sleep deprived, nutritionally deficient, or have an underlying condition.
Ripped & Ready - Business Media MAGS

"Now that I am working, I swim in the morning and I do all my technical skills and aerobics. In the evenings, I’ll do cross fit, where I’ll do my anaerobic, VO2 max and threshold stuff in the gym. That’s just to keep my mind fresh after all these years of swimming.”

"'I know that I will always look after myself for health reasons. My father, unfortunately, didn’t look after himself all that well and I have lived first-hand through that and his struggles with health. I would never want to become a prisoner of my own health, or my bad health, should we say,' he said.

'Even when I’m not racing – I’m only going to be racing in December again – I’m always looking for goals to set to help myself keep in shape. For instance, I have the wedding coming up, so there is just a mental thing of training to look good on the day of the wedding. There are mental things that sport has helped me with to be driven, to achieve my goals.'”

He was training for the 2020 Olympics.

Why is it so hard to accept that healthy people catch viruses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerTheDoger View Post
Or he may have just ignored the advice to avoid crowds and wash his hands frequently.

From the link above, way before the coronavirus:

"I do worry about shaking hands, and I am also particular about that more towards when I am racing so I don’t get sick. That’s my normal life. I have a healthy lifestyle because it has become easy for me.”

Old 03-25-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Ripped & Ready - Business Media MAGS

"Now that I am working, I swim in the morning and I do all my technical skills and aerobics. In the evenings, I’ll do cross fit, where I’ll do my anaerobic, VO2 max and threshold stuff in the gym. That’s just to keep my mind fresh after all these years of swimming.”

"'I know that I will always look after myself for health reasons. My father, unfortunately, didn’t look after himself all that well and I have lived first-hand through that and his struggles with health. I would never want to become a prisoner of my own health, or my bad health, should we say,' he said.

'Even when I’m not racing – I’m only going to be racing in December again – I’m always looking for goals to set to help myself keep in shape. For instance, I have the wedding coming up, so there is just a mental thing of training to look good on the day of the wedding. There are mental things that sport has helped me with to be driven, to achieve my goals.'”

He was training for the 2020 Olympics.

Why is it so hard to accept that healthy people catch viruses?

From the link above, way before the coronavirus:

"I do worry about shaking hands, and I am also particular about that more towards when I am racing so I don’t get sick. That’s my normal life. I have a healthy lifestyle because it has become easy for me.”
No one said that a healthy person can't get the virus. Washing hands and avoiding groups of more than 10 doesn't prevent healthy people from getting it. New England Journal of Medicine says that the virus is airborne for up to 3 hours, so washing hands won't help if you are exposed and obviously a group of 10 or less could consist of one or more infected people. Washing hands, not shaking hands and avoiding crowds larger than 10 only reduces your risk.

He's training for the olympics? I thought he retired. In that case, there is a near 100% chance that he was stressed, possibly fatigued, etc., which can lower immunity making you more susceptible to a virus, or hit harder than expected and taking longer to recover. Fortunately his immune system was good enough to prevent hospitalization or death.

Last edited by SimplySagacious; 03-25-2020 at 02:29 PM..

Old 03-25-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
No one said that a healthy person can't get the virus. Washing hands and avoiding groups of more than 10 doesn't prevent healthy people from getting it. New England Journal of Medicine says that the virus is airborne for up to 3 hours, so washing hands won't help if you are exposed and obviously a group of 10 or less could consist of one or more infected people. Washing hands, not shaking hands and avoiding crowds larger than 10 only reduces your risk.

He's training for the olympics? I thought he retired. In that case, there is a near 100% chance that he was stressed, possibly fatigued, etc., which can lower immunity making you more susceptible to a virus, or hit harder than expected and taking longer to recover. Fortunately his immune system was good enough to prevent hospitalization or death.
You are making a lot of unfounded assumptions. He got infected because he was exposed to a virus he had never had before. His immune system is helping him recover, and there is no reason to expect that he has an immune deficiency of any kind. By his own description he is very health conscious.

Washing hands, not shaking hands and avoiding crowds larger than 10 only reduces your risk.

Yep. Risk reduction is the name of the game. I know people who are completely staying at home.

Old 03-25-2020, 03:21 PM

1,500 posts, read 886,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Your intentions are good, but the title is extremely dangerous- nothing can replace washing your hands!
For sure.....
I would add...avoiding crowds

Old 03-25-2020, 08:14 PM

Quote:
You are making a lot of unfounded assumptions. He got infected because he was exposed to a virus he had never had before. His immune system is helping him recover, and there is no reason to expect that he has an immune deficiency of any kind. By his own description he is very health conscious.
There are reasons to suspect that an athlete in intense training could have a lowered immune response. They are under tremendous pressure to perform, it's stressful and can lead to lowered immunity and/or underlying conditions. It's more prevalent in athletes than you might think.
Stress weakens the responses of your immune system. "That's because stress decreases the body's lymphocytes, the white blood cells that help fight off infection. The lower your lymphocyte levels, the more you're at risk for viruses" https://www.pennmedicine.org/updates...-immune-system

Athletes have many health problems related to high levels of stress including, but not limited to, IBS, respiratory conditions, diabetes, ulcers, etc. Stress and Anxiety in Athletics | The Sport Digest

Olympians-in-training undergo intense and prolonged exercise routines, often accompanied by specific dietary requirements. But studies have shown that these practices can have adverse effects on the body and, in particular, on the gastrointestinal system. https://www.livescience.com/61735-ol...rformance.html
Those are just a few that could have affected his immune response. How he rates his health when talking to reporters means nothing to me. If he has had any underlying issues, it's highly unlikely that he would reveal those details to reporters for it to become cheap fodder. Many people with underlying conditions, on multiple prescription meds, etc., rate themselves as very healthy. I see it all the time here on CD.

Old 03-27-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
There are reasons to suspect that an athlete in intense training could have a lowered immune response. They are under tremendous pressure to perform, it's stressful and can lead to lowered immunity and/or underlying conditions. It's more prevalent in athletes than you might think.
Stress weakens the responses of your immune system. "That's because stress decreases the body's lymphocytes, the white blood cells that help fight off infection. The lower your lymphocyte levels, the more you're at risk for viruses" https://www.pennmedicine.org/updates...-immune-system

Athletes have many health problems related to high levels of stress including, but not limited to, IBS, respiratory conditions, diabetes, ulcers, etc. Stress and Anxiety in Athletics | The Sport Digest

Olympians-in-training undergo intense and prolonged exercise routines, often accompanied by specific dietary requirements. But studies have shown that these practices can have adverse effects on the body and, in particular, on the gastrointestinal system. https://www.livescience.com/61735-ol...rformance.html
Those are just a few that could have affected his immune response. How he rates his health when talking to reporters means nothing to me. If he has had any underlying issues, it's highly unlikely that he would reveal those details to reporters for it to become cheap fodder. Many people with underlying conditions, on multiple prescription meds, etc., rate themselves as very healthy. I see it all the time here on CD.
And you know that he, specifically, had any of those problems? I hate to break it to you, but there are individuals who thrive on stress.

By the way, many things you list as being caused by "stress" are not, including ulcers.

Old 03-27-2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:
And you know that he, specifically, had any of those problems? I hate to break it to you, but there are individuals who thrive on stress.

By the way, many things you list as being caused by "stress" are not, including ulcers.

You don't know any more about his medical history than I do. Your claim was that we all would consider him to be in robust good health. I said that I don't automatically assume that he was and have provided some reasons why that may not necessarily be the case. No more, no less.

Old 03-27-2020, 05:37 PM

Saw this study today that found that consuming too much salt weakens the immune system. Volunteers who consumed an additional 6 grams of salt per day showed pronounced immune deficiencies. This amount corresponds to the salt content of 2 fast food meals. It's difficult to know just how much salt you consume when you eat fast food, processed and packaged foods and drinks.

https://m.medicalxpress.com/news/202...ns-immune.html

Old 03-27-2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
You don't know any more about his medical history than I do. Your claim was that we all would consider him to be in robust good health. I said that I don't automatically assume that he was and have provided some reasons why that may not necessarily be the case. No more, no less.
I am going by what he said himself.

You wish to assume he is lying.

I see no reason for him to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine