Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2020, 07:39 AM

7,243 posts, read 4,563,189 times

Advertisements

So we know that one of the ways that corona causes death is blood clots.

We know that corona is less severe in "O" blood type, which is proven to be thinner blood.

We know that proper hydration thins the blood.
Quote:
Loma Linda University researchers found that men who drank five or more 8-ounce glasses of water daily cut their stroke risk by 53 percent compared with guys who drank fewer than three glasses. Water helps to thin the blood, which in turn makes it less likely to form clots, explains Jackie Chan, Dr.P.H., the lead study author.
We know that morbid obesity is associated with morality and we also know obesity thickens the blood. https://www.cancersmoc.com/blood-thickness/

We know the older you are the more likely you are to be dehydrated and more likely to pass from covid.

Thus, proper hydration could keep you safe from corona virus and reduce the mortality rate?

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0507194907.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2020, 02:45 PM

23,361 posts, read 18,956,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Thus, proper hydration could keep you safe from corona virus and reduce the mortality rate?

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0507194907.htm
You're just on this kick of blood thinning being healthier right now and ascribing all sorts of benefits it may not really have. A pretty big stretch to equate hydration to preventing death from a virus. Just isn't that simple. We hear about healthy athletes who are probably well versed in hydration dying from Covid-19. The elderly are not the only age group dying...increasingly so. Consider that a Covid patient who ends up so ill they are hospitalized will be on IV support and carefully hydrated. Some percentage of them still die regardless. I'm sure an untreated, chronically-dehydrated person would have more trouble defeating the virus once they DID get sick, but if you're searching for some magic bullet to avoid infection and severe complications in the first place, this isn't it.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-22-2020 at 03:23 PM..

Old 08-23-2020, 06:49 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,242,379 times
Quote:

Reduce the mortality rate? Possibly. Keep you safe from infection? Not even slightly.

All the posts about strong immune system, hydration, good nutrition, etc. tend to make the unsupported leap that one or all of those will keep one from getting infected. it doesn't work that way. Healthy people certainly have a better chance of surviving the virus or having less severe symptoms but none of those things will keep one from being infected if exposed. A mask however...

Old 08-23-2020, 07:33 AM

9,881 posts, read 7,766,278 times
Months ago I read an article about how the virus attaches more easily to your cells when they are dehydrated. I couldn't tell you after all this time where I read it or who it was from. However, what an easy thing to do, just drink plenty of good clean water. My elderly mother is following that advice. Think of how many elderly people get dehydrated, it's very common.

Good clean water - plenty of sunshine - good sleep - social distance - wear a mask when you can't

I'm also taking an aspirin every few days.

Why not do the easy stuff?

Old 08-24-2020, 12:40 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,791,389 times
All good info on hydration and water intake and the blood clot issue...and I'm counting on my years of grape seed extract that keeps my blood nice and thin.

Old 08-24-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Reduce the mortality rate? Possibly. Keep you safe from infection?

All the posts about strong immune system, hydration, good nutrition, etc. tend to make the unsupported leap that one or all of those will keep one from getting infected. it doesn't work that way. Healthy people certainly have a better chance of surviving the virus or having less severe symptoms but none of those things will keep one from being infected if exposed. A mask however...
The unsupported leap I am seeing here is who cares about infection?

Infection alone has overwhelmingly proven to be harmless in the vast majority of people who get it.

All we really should be caring about is mortality.

Masks are proven to be, at best, a mild way to slow the virus.

Cloth masks, not very effective at all.

Quote:
Months ago I read an article about how the virus attaches more easily to your cells when they are dehydrated.
It may be that all viruses attach more easily to dehydrated or thick blood. I have seen three "anti cancer" supplements also be advertised as "powerful" immune system enhancers. All of those anti cancer supplements are known to thin the blood.

Old 08-25-2020, 09:03 AM

25,983 posts, read 22,181,380 times
Mortality rate is said to be .01%, not 1% but 1/10 of a percent. Most people do not drink enough water, and whenever I have had a cold, I worked to drown it away. The majority of people dying had 1, 2 or 3 health issues going into the virus. I even wonder about some who considered themselves "healthy" and wonder if it wasn't that their health issues were not diagnosed until they went in with the corona virus. Many of those people wearing a mask (which block at best 3% of their droplets from escaping) smoke (risk factor), are obese (risk factor), drink larger amounts of alcohol (risk factor), etc., so starting to care about one's health when a pandemic strikes is not the best way to go.

If you get your health information from MSM (mainstream media), that is a risk factor too! Shut off the news and do some research for yourself.

Staying hydrated is essential to one's health, and alcohol, caffeinated beverages and sugary beverages are not the way to go to get there.

Stress is not good for the immune system, but knowledge may just be in this case.

Old 08-25-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Staying hydrated is essential to one's health, and alcohol, caffeinated beverages and sugary beverages are not the way to go to get there.
Well this is all well and good but has NO relation to my post whatsoever.

My post was speculating that hydration or lack of it could have a direct effect on coronavirus and the overall corona virus mortality.

Not generally "drink water" which some smart people are loathe to do without specific reasons therefor because they are not sheep.

Old 08-27-2020, 09:29 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,242,379 times
Quote:
The unsupported leap I am seeing here is who cares about infection?

Infection alone has overwhelmingly proven to be harmless in the vast majority of people who get it.

All we really should be caring about is mortality.

Masks are proven to be, at best, a mild way to slow the virus.

Was going to comment but I think your claims speak for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine