Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 06:22 PM

278 posts, read 802,554 times

Advertisements

As I sit here with my box of Kleenex, sore throat and stuffy nose (thanks to my kids for bringing it home from the germ factory known as "school") I was wondering about home remedies for any type of illness, like colds, bee stings, cuts & scrapes, etc. I'm interested in natural cures for things since I really hate to take pills, be they prescription or OTC. Anybody have any good ones? Thanks, from Callie (sneeze)..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2006, 06:37 PM

622 posts, read 2,709,455 times
I hate to take pills, too. I don't know of any natural cures for colds... all I know is when I get sick, I start eating lots of fruits and vegetables!

One thing that always makes me better is to "sweat it out." What I mean is, I sleep a lot, covered in a bunch of blankets so my fever "sweats it out." I've read up on whether fevers are considered scientifically "useful" but it seems controversial. I don't know about all of that- all I know is it that it cures me every time! It's better IMO to let a fever run it's course than to take some sort of pain reliever and end up running around, doing chores, never getting any rest. So, I like to think a fever is a natural remedy. I personally think nature is a lot smarter than we are and there is probably a reason why we get fevers! I guess that's all the advice I have, weird as it may sound.

I hope you get better soon! I just got over the stomach flu the other day... the worst I've ever had... I've never experienced such a violent sickness! I thought I had food poisoning! Be glad you just have a cold. LOL

Old 11-12-2006, 06:43 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callie_D View Post
As I sit here with my box of Kleenex, sore throat and stuffy nose (thanks to my kids for bringing it home from the germ factory known as "school") I was wondering about home remedies for any type of illness, like colds, bee stings, cuts & scrapes, etc. I'm interested in natural cures for things since I really hate to take pills, be they prescription or OTC. Anybody have any good ones? Thanks, from Callie (sneeze)..........
I'm recovering from sore throat, fever, couching right now. I did have to go the doctor and get pills and a shot, but for a sore throat you can heat up seven-up, honey, lemon juice and cloves and it feels good on your throat and helps the cough, also there are cough drops called Fisherman's Friend, they taste AWFUL but they work. Oh and gargel (sp) with warm salt water. Hope you feel better soon and drink a LOT of water!

Old 11-12-2006, 06:46 PM

Thanks Maria, that stomach bug is vicious-the kids brought that one home last year, and I thought it was food poisoning too! It really sucked! I've read about taking charcoal tablets (from the health food store) if you think you have food poisoning, it's supposed to absorb toxins from your system. The only other things I can think of for a cold are vitamin C and zinc, and of course, chicken soup!

Old 11-12-2006, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I'm recovering from sore throat, fever, couching right now. I did have to go the doctor and get pills and a shot, but for a sore throat you can heat up seven-up, honey, lemon juice and cloves and it feels good on your throat and helps the cough, also there are cough drops called Fisherman's Friend, they taste AWFUL but they work. Oh and gargel (sp) with warm salt water. Hope you feel better soon and drink a LOT of water!
Thanks ILNC, that 7up thing sounds pretty good right now......!!!!

Old 11-12-2006, 09:15 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,986,187 times
Well, I don't know about a home remedy for a cold or flu, though I totally agree with Mariatherese about fevers. There's a reason we get them. They make our body an inhospitable environment for bacteria and viruses. If one can, it's best to let them do their job and run full course, while keeping hydrated with green tea, etc. I've induced fever on purpose when I haven't felt well by immersing myself in a very hot bath and letting myself sweat.
I do have a home remedy, but it sounds freaky... All I can tell you is that it works. I had gum problems a few years ago with red angry gums that sometimes easily bled. I also had very sensitive teeth to temperature. It was recommended to me to stop using toothpaste with Flouride and start brushing with plain bar soap. So, I threw the toothpaste out and started brushing with bar soap. The problem cleared up..and...no more morning mouth. I read up on it and it appears that the Flouride in toothpaste is irrelevant to your teeth. It hardens enamel, but if you have a cavity, it hardens the sides of the cavity! Plus, it's poisonous and it attacks the microscopic tethers that attach the gums to the teeth thereby causing them to pull away leaving pockets that become contaminated, recede, more toothpaste, more pulling back...worse problem. Also, the main component of toothpaste is glycerin which coats your teeth when you brush. That's that slick feeling we think means our teeth are clean, but that's not really true. It's a coating our tongues feel and it prevents the natural remineralization of your enamel by micro-minerals dissolved in your saliva which slowly build teeth back up. Our teeth rebuild themselves if they aren't prevented. Toothpaste coats the teeth and prevents it. Soap washes off in a couple of rinses and you'll no longer have ringing teeth or sensitive teeth after about six months. I alternate now with about equal brushings of bar soap and baking soda. It has made all the difference

Old 11-12-2006, 09:19 PM

622 posts, read 2,709,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I do have a home remedy, but it sounds freaky... All I can tell you is that it works. I had gum problems a few years ago with red angry gums that sometimes easily bled. It was recommended to me to stop using toothpaste with Flouride and start brushing with plain bar soap. So, I threw the toothpaste out and started brushing with bar soap. The problem cleared up..and...no more morning mouth. I read up on it and it appears that the Flouride in toothpaste is irrelevant to your teeth. It hardens enamel, but if you have a cavity, it hardens the sides of the cavity! Plus, it's poisonous and it attacks the microscopic tethers that attach the gums to the teeth thereby causing them to pull away leaving pockets that become contaminated, recede, more toothpaste, more pulling back...worse problem. I alternate now with about equal brushings of bar soap and baking soda. It has made all the difference
Wow that is interesting! I'd like to say "I'm going to have to try that" but I don't know if I can stomach it... Figures, though... I never thought what was in man-made toothpaste could really be that great for your teeth. Of course, it sells. And that's what counts.

Old 11-12-2006, 09:27 PM

MoMark, that is a very interesting post! I never heard of using bar soap, but in a way it makes sense since toothpaste is really just soap with a lot of other junk in it. Now let me ask you, what kind of bar soap, and how bad does it taste? I know there is a liquid soap called Dr. Bronners peppermint extract soap (health food stores) that is awesome to use in the shower and I think you can use it for tooth care also.

Old 11-12-2006, 09:37 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,986,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callie_D View Post
MoMark, that is a very interesting post! I never heard of using bar soap, but in a way it makes sense since toothpaste is really just soap with a lot of other junk in it. Now let me ask you, what kind of bar soap, and how bad does it taste? I know there is a liquid soap called Dr. Bronners peppermint extract soap (health food stores) that is awesome to use in the shower and I think you can use it for tooth care also.
Just plain white cheap bar soap. I think I use Ivory. When it gets a wear groove from my toothbrush, then I move it to the shower stall and use it for general bathing and open a new one for my brushing. It's important it be bar soap and not a liquid soap. And, though it sounds like it would taste badly, the first couple of times you notice it, but after that, it just feels clean. You'll notice that it's just a really thoroughly clean feeling afterwards.

Old 11-12-2006, 09:40 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
MoMark I also thought was interesting, did a dentist tell you that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine