Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to live in Brazil?
Yes 162 50.78%
No 157 49.22%
Voters: 319. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 12:01 PM

950 posts, read 1,514,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Since in more than 90% of the cases of murder, the victim already knows the murderer, I don't see how per capita murder rate can be a useful tool to access how "dangerous" or "safe" a place is.

Crime rates in Brazil are certainly higher than in the USA, but Brazil is very, very far from being a "dangerous hell with crime everywhere". I was mugged only 2 times in the last 20 years. And that's because I was very imprudent. In none of the 2 occasions I was injured.
I remember watching on the news a few years ago, a group of thugs from the favelas in Rio went to the beach and started a violent assault and battery on the tourists. You would never see $hit like that in the beaches of Honolulu, Miami, Los Angeles, San Diego, Tampa, or any other American city that has a beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 12:18 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,734,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
I remember watching on the news a few years ago, a group of thugs from the favelas in Rio went to the beach and started a violent assault and battery on the tourists. You would never see $hit like that in the beaches of Honolulu, Miami, Los Angeles, San Diego, Tampa, or any other American city that has a beach.
It is not common in Brazil, either. And in the US you have your school shooting sprees, also killing people at random.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
It is not common in Brazil, either. And in the US you have your school shooting sprees, also killing people at random.

And in Brazil you have shootouts in the middle of the street between police and drugdealers that resemble the war in Afghanistan. You won't find $hit like that in the U.S.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:39 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,734,306 times
Quote:
And in Brazil you have shootouts in the middle of the street between police and drugdealers that resemble the war in Afghanistan. You won't find $hit like that in the U.S.
In Brazil? In very few cities. You have no idea how big the country is and how normal and peaceful most of it is. Would you be happy if someone judged the US by, say, Detroit?

Old 04-20-2011, 01:35 PM

597 posts, read 1,297,964 times
Quote:
O.K. I agree.
We will not find $ hit like that in the U.S. If we look for we will find WORST $ HIT.
What do say about Gary,IN - Miami,FL - Detroi,MI.
I think that places are not "The Heaven's Gates".

Old 04-20-2011, 02:00 PM

3,977 posts, read 6,783,287 times
Quote:
This is called "arrastão", and it wasn't "a few years ago". The era of "arrastão" was 20 years ago. There is no more "arrastão" in the beaches of Rio de Janeiro.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:06 PM

3,977 posts, read 6,783,287 times
Quote:
Shootouts like this happens sometimes in Rio de Janeiro, and, more rarely, in Sao Paulo. In the other major cities, we only know about it on TV, never in real life.

And saying shootouts don't happen in the U.S. is ridiculous. Just look at this:

Old 04-20-2011, 07:07 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Yes, the Brazilian government tends to apply the same rules to foreigners as foreign countries apply to Brazilians traveling abroad. Especially US Americans have complained a lot about the treatment they get when in fact they are treated just the same as Brazilians are treated by US authorities. They are not used to taking their own medicine...
Yeah, I noticed that as well. Although, I think each country has seriously different issues.

The U.S. because of it's economic dominance is attracting everyone on the planet, combined with its horrible foreign policy issues that do actually make it a target.

Because of those two issues, it only makes sense that there are stricter rules with foreigners then you'd see in countries without those issues.

I love Brazil, but the 'reactionary Brazil' sometimes annoys me.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:12 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times
Quote:
When I was in Rio de Jainero, I actually saw police buses going up and down Copocabana, grabbing any fravela-looking person, and putting them on the bus. Serious racial profiling.

In other words, some other questionable practices are coming into play, to protect the tourism industry. I also remember quite a few armed forces looking people who stand around most tourist areas with large weaponry. Thinking of Copacabana streets and Pelhourinho in Salvador in particular.

[NOTE to OTHERS: I'm not responding to myself - two different posters on Brazil topics - Tiger BLOOD and Tiger BEER]

Old 04-21-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
O.K. I agree.
We will not find $ hit like that in the U.S. If we look for we will find WORST $ HIT.
What do say about Gary,IN - Miami,FL - Detroi,MI.
I think that places are not "The Heaven's Gates".
I have seen grenade launchers used in shootouts between the police and the drugdealers in Brazil. I have never seen drugdealers in the U.S fire grenade launchers at the police. Why do you think I compare these shootouts in Brazil with Afghanistan, it is because they literally do resemble a warzone or the final scene of Scarface where Tony Montana used a grenade launcher on the Bolivian drugdealers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas