Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 08:54 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,527,105 times

Advertisements

I have been considering the idea of moving to South America for a while now, and Argentina seems like a nice country, especially the cities of Buenos Aires and Cordoba....any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 11:57 AM

104 posts, read 450,006 times
Buenos Aires is a beautiful city, but the natural beauty around it isn't stunning. I'd go for Santiago. I love Bogota, but I wouldn't live in Colombia simply because of the security issues.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:10 AM

396 posts, read 399,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Othon View Post
Buenos Aires is a beautiful city, but the natural beauty around it isn't stunning. I'd go for Santiago. I love Bogota, but I wouldn't live in Colombia simply because of the security issues.
Vina del Mar in Chile is your best bet. Overall, Chile is politically safer, economically progressive, and geographically diverse. Vina del Mar is one of only a few places around the globe that has a mediterranean-like climate outside the mediterranean. It's also only an hour from the capital of Santiago where certain specific amenities are. Chile has the ocean (swimming, scuba, sailing, fishing, etc...) and the Mountains (skiing, hiking, mountain biking, etc...) both in close proximity to eachother. Although primarily spanish-speaking, Chileans run the gamut in physical appearance (fair and blue to dark and brown).

Old 04-18-2009, 10:34 AM

438 posts, read 1,352,948 times
Avoid Buenos Aires unless you enjoy the Hustle and Bustle. The interior is where the real Argentines live, and is another country altogether. Am an expat who has lived in Argentina on and off for the last 25 years. I have settled in the interior, a small city of 60 K static but increases to 200k+ in summer vacation. Only 35 km from provincial capital, where everything is available if not available in our "village". Low crime rate, one can walk about at any time of night or day without being worried. In winter don't even lock car/house when leave for a couple of days. Paradise. As long as you are not too ostentatious in Argentina you can pass without hindrance. View my site and see some of my threads - they will be able to give you an idea on cost of living, rents,home purchasing, etc. Good luck and take care...

Old 04-18-2009, 11:20 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,210,300 times
This is so subjective.

Someone mentioned Chile, I went to SANTIAGO CHILE...and it IS safe..but it is also very boring and dull and conservative. Probably the most conservative and most boring and most dull out of all of South America. However, that might appeal to some people.

Buenos Aires...I went there and its a nice city. I don't know about Cordoba..but I like Mendoza A LOT in Argentina.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:10 PM

2 posts, read 17,686 times
I'm from BA. It's a very exciting city, you have everything you need, a lot of culture around, you can walk, take the subway, buses, all very cheap. The food is great, etc. The main problem right now is the security. The goverment is very corrupt, so don't expect the same justice as in the US ( police included). Robers are seeing every where and you have to be carefull and never leave your purse out of sight ( allways be aware of it, they might steal it any time) About Santiago I agree with Tiger Beer, it's soooo boring, safe yes, but probably you will be bored to die , so have this in mind. Books are very expensive in Santiago , opossite in BA. Theatre, galleries, street artists, all in BA. So, at the end depends of what kind of live you are expecting to live. I recommend moving to Belgrano, Palermo Soho, Barrio Norte, Palermo Chico, or Recoleta. Good luck!!

Old 08-01-2009, 03:22 PM

2 posts, read 17,686 times
BA has free medical system, free universities ( the best in Soth America, but allways in strike...) almost whatever cultural theme you are looking for, you can find it FREE.
The air: if you are a California type of person forget it, it's veeeery poluted. Old cars ( if you have a Mercedes better don't show it...) Another place I recommend in the south of Argentina is the PATAGONIA. Amazing place to live ( not for city persons, but great air, great people, great landscape, etc, take a look about it!)

Old 08-01-2009, 03:55 PM

25,776 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
This is so subjective.

Someone mentioned Chile, I went to SANTIAGO CHILE...and it IS safe..but it is also very boring and dull and conservative. Probably the most conservative and most boring and most dull out of all of South America. However, that might appeal to some people.
Oh yes, that does appeal to me. Sign me up! Mellow is my middle name. Besides my daily run/jog and work, I mainly sit around studying languages all night (and of course, post on CD). Sounds like I'd fit right in.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:20 PM

438 posts, read 1,352,948 times
Camila15. I am concerned with your comments. Universities and Medical Attention is free? Please expand and explain this to me how this works, coz I'm sure that half of the rest of the world will be emigrating to Argentina today, or left yesterday.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:07 PM

261 posts, read 668,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey mouse is dead View Post
I have been considering the idea of moving to South America for a while now, and Argentina seems like a nice country, especially the cities of Buenos Aires and Cordoba....any thoughts?
I'd fancy Chile more than argentina, Chile is more new, more western, I think it is like going into a time machine back to the 1990s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas