Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 07:01 AM

43,641 posts, read 44,368,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roybern View Post
I have been offered a position in Administration (I have a doctorate) at the American School of Guayaquil.
I know I don't need to speak Spanish at this school, but it's kind of embarrassing to have lived in Miami for over 20 years and my ability in this language is so limited. For this reason I am a little unsure about taking the position.
Spanish isn't that difficult to pick up as English speaker. I arrived in Guayaquil without speaking Spanish but also immediately that I could read the local newspapers due to the fact that I knew some French (as I lived in France for one year as a child and then studied French in high school as well).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 11:14 AM

6 posts, read 18,690 times
Thanks again Chava 61, unfortunately I don't have a master's so I'm unable to teach at UEES.

Does anyone else have any experience teaching English in Guayaquil? If so, what qualifications did you have to teach English? Where did you teach? How did you find out about the job opening?

Thanks!

Old 07-11-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumple View Post
Thanks again Chava 61, unfortunately I don't have a master's so I'm unable to teach at UEES.

Does anyone else have any experience teaching English in Guayaquil? If so, what qualifications did you have to teach English? Where did you teach? How did you find out about the job opening?

Thanks!
UEES is part of the Espiritu Santos group and they also have a language school which doesn't require a Master's only B.A. to teach English for them.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:03 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Teaching Ecuadorans Australian English--that's a new one! I wonder if they have any preferences in that regard.

Why Guayaquil? Unless you're from a tropical part of Oz, you might be more comfortable in the highlands. Cuenca, Quito, maybe Loja.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Teaching Ecuadorans Australian English--that's a new one! I wonder if they have any preferences in that regard.

Why Guayaquil? Unless you're from a tropical part of Oz, you might be more comfortable in the highlands. Cuenca, Quito, maybe Loja.
I know that Ecuadorians prefer to study American English rather than British English, but I don't know how they feel about Australian English.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:02 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I know that Ecuadorians prefer to study American English rather than British English, but I don't know how they feel about Australian English.
I'm picturing Ecuadorans walking around, speaking English with an Australian accent. Hilarious! Especially Indigenous Ecuadorans.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:47 AM

Does anyone else have any experience/knowledge teaching English in Guayaquil? How about community development work? That's what my bachelor's is in...

Old 07-16-2013, 07:19 AM

I'm looking for Guayaquil because my in-laws live there and my wife and I want to be near them...I know I know, Guayaquil has a terrible online reputation, especially among expats and TEFLers. But that's ok, we want to try it for ourselves!

btw I'd like to learn Australian English, my impersonations are terrible...haha

Old 07-16-2013, 11:03 AM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times
The positions teaching English are at local wages, so the job doesn't pay well.

I don't know about schools in Australia, but the majority of Americans do not know enough about English to teach

To teach English you must know grammar 100% without error, and be a perfect speller. Most Americans can not qualify with either.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The positions teaching English are at local wages, so the job doesn't pay well.

I don't know about schools in Australia, but the majority of Americans do not know enough about English to teach

To teach English you must know grammar 100% without error, and be a perfect speller. Most Americans can not qualify with either.
Some grammar rules are different (for example usage of certain prepositions) between the USA, England and Australia. So I don't agree about your comment about Americans. Again from my experience in Ecuador, Ecuadorians prefer to learn American English from native American English speakers and for this one needs American teachers who are qualified to teach ESL/EFL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas