Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 12:34 PM

3,977 posts, read 6,784,942 times

Advertisements

Spend one month in Brazil, and you will see how UNDERRATED this country is...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 12:39 PM

312 posts, read 909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Well pretty much all countries are underrated (except for the UK & France).

Old 01-24-2012, 12:46 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,735,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Brazil is overrated. It is a geographically divided country, where the south is nearly first-world, but still with horrible urban problems, and the north is still third world. I fear something terrible is going to happen down there, with deepening class divisions.
I don't think that is a valid assessment. Brazil is doing a lot to reduce the divides...
BBC News - Brazil reduces poverty but industry feels the strain

They have other problems such as their strong currency.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:09 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
I've already spent a month there, several times, from Porto Alegre to Belem to Manaus to Benjamin Constant. It's overrated. The fact that it is YOUR country does not by itself repair that. I'm not picking on you, I've made an assessment of all countries and called it the way I see it.

Neuling, I understand they are doing a lot to reduce the divides, and I've seen their admirable efforts, but I think the task will overwhelm them.

"Overrated" is a generalized term that compares widespread perception with reality. It is not an analysis based on a single metric that somebody desires to hold out as a magic criterion. "Overrated" simply means "everybody thinks its great, but it ain't that great, all things taken into account".

Last edited by jtur88; 01-24-2012 at 01:21 PM..

Old 01-24-2012, 04:18 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,843,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeros View Post
Brazil, Venezuela and Argentina are the only good Latin American countries, the rest are terrible with high crime and drugs
Uruguay, Chile, Peru, Guyana, Paraguay?

Old 01-26-2012, 10:41 AM

3,977 posts, read 6,784,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I've already spent a month there, several times, from Porto Alegre to Belem to Manaus to Benjamin Constant. It's overrated. The fact that it is YOUR country does not by itself repair that. I'm not picking on you, I've made an assessment of all countries and called it the way I see it.

Neuling, I understand they are doing a lot to reduce the divides, and I've seen their admirable efforts, but I think the task will overwhelm them.

"Overrated" is a generalized term that compares widespread perception with reality. It is not an analysis based on a single metric that somebody desires to hold out as a magic criterion. "Overrated" simply means "everybody thinks its great, but it ain't that great, all things taken into account".

"Overrated" and "Underrated" are very subjective terms.

In my personal opinion, Brazil is EXTREMELY UNDERRATED, and it's an AMAZING, INCREDIBLE, STUNNING country, much more than people from outside think.

In my opinion, the general concept that most people from outside Brazil has about the country is very underrated, compared to the real Brazil. Brazil is much more AMAZING than most people think.

But that's my personal and subjective opinion.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:14 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
In my opinion, the general concept that most people from outside Brazil has about the country is very underrated, compared to the real Brazil. Brazil is much more AMAZING than most people think.
That's true of any nation. They are vastly more than what people who haven't been there conceptualize about them.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:16 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,393,677 times
The underlying question here should be, why are most Latin American countries in such a state of despair and dissaray?

Despite that most of these countries have natural resources and hard working citizenry, the overall majority of them have languished far behind the top industrialized nations. Why is that? Is it the corruption? Is it a lack of brain power?

Every country which was formerly colonized by Spain is of 3rd world status. Why is that?

For example, I often think of Mexico's vast potential. Here's the world's 14th largest country with an abundance of natural resources, hard working people, two oceans, and a common border with the USA. Here is a country that has all the necessary elements to become Latin America's first 1st world country. Yet sadly, we all know what this amazing country has digressed into. It has squandered its potential and is not even the shadow of what it could potentially be.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:07 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Every country which was formerly colonized by Spain is of 3rd world status. Why is that?
Well, most Latin American countries seem to be doing better than the poorest half of the world's countries. Overall, I think they're about the same GDP per capita as the average eastern European country.

So, not terribly good or terribly bad.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:46 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Ecuador is underrated. For such a small country it has a vast variety of landscapes, climates, and is one of the 'mega-diverse' nations which is hugely impressive for it's size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas