Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 08:53 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times

Advertisements

You said you'll just be visiting as a break before going back to medical school. What do you intend to do, bring the girl back with you, maintain a long-distance relationship? Why are you look abroad for a woman, may I ask? Are there no Jamaican women where you live?

Or by 'dating' do you mean just have some fun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 10:07 AM
qwy qwy started this thread

296 posts, read 520,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I'm being realistic about dating in a 3rd world country.

Have you ever been out of USA or to a 3rd world country before?

No but I kinda see your point. I guess my problem is that I'm comparing the jamaicans on the island to the ones I see here in the U.S.

But you are basically that at the most a jamaican girl will only be after my money and even if I think she really likes me it'll just be a scam to get more money and maybe a green card... That's what you are pretty much saying right?

So like me ask you this, do you think a weekend vacation there is a cool idea? Should I just stay on the resorts the whole time?

Old 02-02-2012, 10:14 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwy View Post
No but I kinda see your point. I guess my problem is that I'm comparing the jamaicans on the island to the ones I see here in the U.S.

But you are basically that at the most a jamaican girl will only be after my money and even if I think she really likes me it'll just be a scam to get more money and maybe a green card... That's what you are pretty much saying right?

So like me ask you this, do you think a weekend vacation there is a cool idea? Should I just stay on the resorts the whole time?

Well, my question is why Jamaica? There are a lot of places where you can get a really interesting experience outside of a resort. Hell, I'd NEVER go even near an all inclusive resort, but you really have to make sure you know what you're getting yourself into before you go. The third world is no walk in the park and you'll get your butt burned if you go in naive.

I don't know too much about the rest of the island outside of Kingston being dangerous though. But I'm sure there are other parts of Jamaica that are a lot safer that you wouldn't have to stay in a resort or waste money on that.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:26 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
Quote:

Again, I would highly recommend against Kingston.. it is very dangerous.....
There are many different parts of Kingston, and a class divides there within. New Kingston, or "Uptown", is as safe as anywhere else on the island. The OP will just want exercise caution travelling anywhere new, and avoid Downtown (lower Kingston) altogether.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Well, my question is why Jamaica?
I was thinking Jamaica because I wanted to take a vacation somewhere outside of the U.S and if I found a beautiful local girl I could date her with out having to worry about, the language barrier

So where would you go to vacation? Didn't want to do Hawaii, since it's still the U.S plus I wanted a place with a lot of black women. I know African is very dangerous

Old 02-02-2012, 10:58 AM

484 posts, read 1,286,667 times
You know they are more places in the Caribbean than Jamaica, right?

Old 02-02-2012, 11:03 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
I was thinking Jamaica because I wanted to take a vacation somewhere outside of the U.S and if I found a beautiful local girl I could date her with out having to worry about, the language barrier

So where would you go to vacation? Didn't want to do Hawaii, since it's still the U.S plus I wanted a place with a lot of black women. I know African is very dangerous

You could still do Jamaica, but you just have to make sure you're really careful. You can trust people, but you should always keep your guard up. Remember, it is not the USA, the same rules don't apply there.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:15 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
Quote:

Bossman, you have to understand any poor country you go, most of the women who aren't selling sex to you as a tourist will be giving up the goods in hope to rope you in for a green card. Same in Russia or Thailand as it would be in the West Indies. Just have fun with it and don't be naive.

Jamaicans are a warm, accepting people just like the rest of the Caribbean, but it is also impoverished and there are nuff hustlers who target tourists (usually to sell weed, beg money, be tour-guides, not necessarily for crime). You may also consider other islands which are more prosperous and do not hustle tourists to the extent of Jamdown (Barbados, Antigua, etc).

I disagree with other who stated you will get the same experience in a West Indian enclave in New York, London or Toronto. It's just not the same, and as an African-American it can be a great experience to stay in a country where blacks are the vast majority, and hold all high public offices.

Last edited by Natural510; 02-02-2012 at 02:23 PM..

Old 02-02-2012, 02:39 PM

347 posts, read 695,964 times
Well I can't speak about Jamaica as I'm not from there but if it is a middle class and above Caribbean woman I don't think you can go with the assumption that they are using you for money or a green card. Caribbean people are quite up to date on international news and the current hard times in the US are very well known so American does not necessarily equal rich nowadays. Whichever island you choose just go with an open mind, try to avoid pre-judging and treat people with respect.

And Natural510 is correct. It can be refreshing to be in a society where black does not equate with different or minority.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
You said you'll just be visiting as a break before going back to medical school. What do you intend to do, bring the girl back with you, maintain a long-distance relationship? Why are you look abroad for a woman, may I ask? Are there no Jamaican women where you live?

Or by 'dating' do you mean just have some fun?

No I wasn't specifically looking abroad for a women, I was just planning on visiting a foreign country for a while for the experience and while there maybe meeting a nice girl.

Funny, I think you are Australian right? I actually considered Sydney, but found a lot of post on here mentioning how hard it is for an African American to date over there. It's cool to visit and hang out, but dating is harder because of the nagative views of blacks... I'm not saying this is try for all Australians, I'm only stating what I've read on countless threads on her.

To answer your earlier question, No, it's not that I'm specifically looking for a jamaican girl, I was just considering jamaica because they speak english, there are a lot of black women (not that I'm against dating women of all races), and it's a vacation spot that many of my friends and family have visited and liked... but again they never left the resort. I was also considering London, but they have crappy weather and I hear it's like a more expensive version of NYC, if I wanted to go to NYC, I would just go to NYC.

Also I think a lot of people keep thinking it has to be Jamaica, but if you go back up and read at least 3 of my replies, I keep asking people over and over, where do you recommend?

Yes Yes I understand now Jamaica is 3rd world. BUT... You must all realize that I didn't consider it a 3rd world country because of all the reports from people about how much fun they had there, and from all the stories of the few Jamaicans whom I've meet here. And yes when I asked them why they came here to the U.S it was always a story about to make more money, but it wasn't told in a way that a lot of other immigrants I've spoken to told it. They didn't talk as if it was a third world country, many spoke of going back. And they sure as HECK didn't give me any vibes to make me think they looked at me as anything other than just another black brother, unlike the countless African immigrants I've spoken to, that let you know they don't consider you one of them...

So yes I'm thankful to everyone who as advising me, but understand, much of this is a shock to me.

Again it doesn't have to be Jamaica, I just want a nice place to have fun, and meet women... not prostitutes and not someone who would be ashame to date a black guy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas