Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you rather visit?
Jamaica 15 39.47%
Trinidad and Toboga 23 60.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 01:35 AM

4 posts, read 12,877 times

Advertisements

Which would you rather visit?

Last edited by bullslim; 02-16-2012 at 01:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 09:45 AM

10,084 posts, read 14,952,774 times
T&T is not really known as a tourist destination, especially when compared to Jamaica; so this poll doesn't seem to be quite 'fair'. Maybe comparing Jamaica to other hot destinations like Puerto Rico, Barbados, Dominican Republic, even Cuba; would had been better.

Then again, this is City-Data. lol

Old 02-16-2012, 11:29 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,136,926 times
Trini all the way!! If you are a culture vulture, I doubt there is a more interesting country in the Caribbean. If you are into resorts, and just want to chill and party, it barely matters where you go in the Caribbean (not that I'm condemning chilling and partying).

Trinidad, btw, is much more interesting than Tobago, Trinidad doesn't even need tourism!

Old 02-16-2012, 11:36 AM

3,865 posts, read 5,289,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
If you are into resorts, and just want to chill and party, it barely matters where you go in the Caribbean (not that I'm condemning chilling and partying).
Agree on this part, if you are stuck in an All Inclusive resort, you might as well choose the cheaper option wherever you go, you are not going to get any real cultural experience and will probably meet more Americans, Canadians and Europeans than actual locals.

I personally can't choose. I am from Jamaican so I love home, but my wife is from Trinidad and I have spent alot of time on the Island because of that. Both are diverse interesting distinct cultures with amazing history and music along with excellent cuisine.

I do have to admit though, people who travel to Trinidad are probably more likely to be the type of traveler that wants to actually experience the culture over tourists to Jamaica. Trinidad is alot less commercialized than Jamaica and you are forced to interact with the local culture, unlike Jamaica where you have to option to segregate yourself in one of the many resorts. It is a shame people do not take the time to experience the "real" Jamaica when they visit.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:23 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,677,788 times
Trinidad is not a tourist destination. I've heard stories of people finding it almost impossible to book a hotel during the carnival season.

Jamaica is better. It's bigger and safer. Trinidad has become violent in the past few years.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Trinidad is not a tourist destination. I've heard stories of people finding it almost impossible to book a hotel during the carnival season.
Trini Carnival = One of the best times you will have in your life.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:42 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,677,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Trini Carnival = One of the best times you will have in your life.

That's what I heard. But it's very hard to get down there if you have no family or friends willing to accommodate your visit if you didn't book a room a year in advance.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
That's what I heard. But it's very hard to get down there if you have no family or friends willing to accommodate your visit if you didn't book a room a year in advance.
Agree, you need to start planning immediately after Carnival ends the previous year.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:32 PM

506 posts, read 1,956,357 times
Been to both a few times... I'd say Jamaica solely because of safety. Hard to say without knowing what you're looking for though.

To be fair though, in Jamaica I stayed at a resort (safer environment)... in T&T, I was with distant in laws.

A little late for this year, but another place to party for Carnavales (without having to worry too much about violence)-- Las Tablas, Panama! It's a great time!

Last edited by LaFemme86; 02-17-2012 at 01:33 PM.. Reason: spelling mistake

Old 07-23-2012, 01:49 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times
Depends...

T&T for cultural diversity & experience, and it is a little bit safer. The cultural experience will be different from rest of the Caribbean. The crime has certainly risen, but there have been inaccurate reports about the crime rate. The crime rate is actually still slightly lower than Jamaica, USVI and one or two other islands if one reads the UN report on crime for the region.

Jamaica for the beaches and resorts. Further, if one wants to experience a well-known culture of the Caribbean, then JA would be the choice. Crime, though actually higher than Trinidad, is generally confined to certain areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas