Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 12:37 PM

3,977 posts, read 6,783,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yeah, its probably a reference to sertaneja or forro.

There's also a country-ish kind of music in rural Rio Grande do Sul where I used to live.

That's called Vaneirão
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 06:20 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
I think I've heard of a few areas of Brazil that also are into cattle-ranching and wear the cowboy hats. Not sure if they listen to American country music though...

Old 06-22-2012, 06:22 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,872,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Looking at the Wikipedia page for "Country Music", it lists countries according to the supposed popularity of country music within them:

Now I know "Wikipedia" isn't a one-stop source for knowledge (that's why I'm asking this question here), but it had the same thing on the "Eurodance" page and it was spot on as far as I know.

I've known American-style country music was popular in Australia, Ireland, the UK, and Canada for some time (though nowhere as near as popular in the rural US I suppose); but Brazil?

Also, where else have you heard country music?
Ive never heard much American country, although you do hear some of the more poppy country from time to time in Brazil. They have their own version of country music, that is seen as the music for the Brazilian equivalents of rednecks.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:01 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,211,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I think I've heard of a few areas of Brazil that also are into cattle-ranching and wear the cowboy hats. Not sure if they listen to American country music though...
Looks like they do to me

Dança Escolar Country 1º B - Little Bitty (Allan Jackson) - YouTube

Old 07-01-2012, 12:37 PM

195 posts, read 441,022 times
American country music is, how can I say, "known" in Brazil, but not as popular as american pop music, for example. Brazilian "country" music ( known as "Sertaneja" ) though, is very popular.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:10 PM

57 posts, read 197,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
Most people don't like that garbage. I have never heard it outside the US.
They say ignorance is bliss

Country music, rodeo and rural lifestyle are appreciated all around the world, in Brazil, Ireland, Mexico, South Africa, New Zealand, Canada and many other places.

This video is from Barretos, the worlds largest Rodeo in terms of attendance and payoff. Brazil has a rich ranching and rodeo tradition, and has produced many PBR champions here in the USA such as Adriano Moraes and Guilherme Marchi.

Rodeio em Touros Barretos - YouTube

Here is Juanita du Plessis, from Namibia, South Africas #1 loved Country artist. She sings in Afrikaans, German and English; real African country...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh3CK9XbCdk&feature=relmfu

Lianie May with an epic South African country song and video celebrating rural life, from the major Afrikaans movie, Platteland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYtndVb9Qk4

In Argentina, folks are having fun recreating the big dance video to Alan Jackson.

Good Time came to Buenos Aires - Argentina - YouTube

Old 12-07-2012, 08:46 PM

758 posts, read 2,240,311 times
Paula Fernandes - Passáro de Fogo - Clipe Oficial - YouTube

This one is particularly popular in Brazil.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:51 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,168,768 times
The older generation in a number of Caribbean islands really love country.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:29 AM

1 posts, read 2,565 times
I have lived in the rurals of Paraguay for 15 years and visited the rurals of Brazil many times. AMERICAN country music is very popular in the rurals of Paraguay and Brazil. Alan Jackson is among the most popular. Nightly, every weekend hundreds gather to do line dancing in a vacant lot or a designated dancing area. The music is loud! The women are amazing! The guys are tough and real cowboys! The music is hard to confuse with some of the Brazilian country, which is also popular and frequently mixed in. About 700,000 Brazilians now live with us here in Paraguay and they are American country lovers. The paraguayans, not so much.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:52 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,168,768 times
Country music on the little island of St. Lucia...

St Lucian Country Jam! - YouTube

The radio...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cXjeq55vZQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas