Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2012, 12:04 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,408,585 times

Advertisements

I've been searching though the forums reading about the Caribbean. I have been to Puerto Rico and the Domincan Republic, but both over 24 yrs ago when I was 18 so my memory is a little clouded (that great Rum I drank in the DR probably contributed to my reduced memory of the island). It seems from my research some favorites of people on this message board are:

-Barbados
-British Virgin Islands
-Dominca (not to be confused with Dominican Republic) - especially for it's nature and hiking
-Bahamas

What is your favorite and why? One downside to the Caribbean vs. Mexico or Central/South America is the cost of lodging (and probably food too). Although I'm sure places like the DR are likely still affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 07:36 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,597,493 times
Honestly, I liked Puerto Rico the best. Why? It seems to have the most to offer. Yes, the Bahamas has the good beaches, resorts and an occasional fort or historic structure. However, PR seems to have all of that and more. It is more than beaches, natural scenery and resorts. There is rainforests, exotic islands (Cuelbra, Vieques, Deserecho, Mona), a relatively big city, mountains, fortifications that can rival anything else in the Caribbean, caverns, Arrecibo telescope, a rich history and culture, fascinating politics, a more modern infrastructure. Yes, much of this has to do with it being larger than the islands of the Lesser Antilles, but that is what I liked about it. What I saw on Tortula, St. Thomas, Nassau and Antigua was great. Do not get me wrong. However, I just got the impression that tourism was too centered on beaches, resorts and scenery.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:12 AM

2,173 posts, read 4,408,585 times
Lentzr....thanks that is interesting on PR. I haven't been there since I was 16 years old in about 1986, so my memory had faded. But it sounds like it has more to offer. How safe is PR these days? Does is also have good beaches along with all the other stuff you mentioned? How about cost? I expect it would be cheaper than the other more beachy touristy islands.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:23 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,597,493 times
PR is as safe/unsafe as it always was. For example, if you look at the homicide rate on the island over the years, you will notice only minor fluctuations. (They post that data on the PR Police dept. website going back to 1940). So if you could go there in 1986, you can go there now. The touristy areas and well-off areas are pretty safe. The slums, especially by the public housing, are not. So it depends on where you go. Most major cities in the US are the same way, staying safe comes largely from common sense and staying out of the no-go areas.

The Beaches? They are great! I would especially recommend you venture to Vieques and Culebra Islands off the east coast for the beaches. However, that is just my personal choice. What exactly are you looking for in a beach? If you tell me more I could make a better suggestion.

Prices on the island? It depends how much you want to live if up or rough it. Like with the issues with the beaches, I can not give you an answer to this because I do not know your expectations or budget. However, let me post a link to an introduction to money and finances for travelers to PR...

Practical travel information on Money and costs in Puerto Rico - Lonely Planet Travel Information

Finally, does PR have more to offer than in 1986? I was not there in 1986. Yes, the economy is indeed really hurting now. However, with tourism? I am sure there is more infrastructure now. For example, I was surprised at the number of high-rises going up in the Condado neighborhood of San Juan. Many were still under construction. So I am sure there is more in the way of "resort development" than when you were there. However, most of the attractions were always there, even in 1986. Perhaps, they were just not as advertised like they are now. However, get a book guidebook to the island and look it over carefully. then visit those places and you will see what I mean by PR having a lot to offer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas