Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 05:51 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, that works two ways. As an American, I'd hate to be mistaken for a Canadian while abroad.
I think if your life was in danger as an American you'd be quite happy to be mistaken for anything else. Reading in context is always a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 09:45 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,922,344 times
Quote:
Right on.

Growing up in the US in the 1960s-1980s, I never had a negative thought even cross my mind about Canada. If anything - if I ever even thought about it, which was rare - I felt some affection for our northern neighbor. When I would occasionally meet a Canadian, it was a pleasant interaction.

Somewhere along the way (can anyone say NAFTA?) the scenario shifted, and suddenly - surprisingly in fact, I started hearing a lot of smack talk about the US - from Canadians. At first, I thought it was exaggerated and a fluke, but over the past ten years I've seen a MARKED increase in negativity and arrogance from Canadians toward US citizens and the US in general.

Frankly, I don't appreciate it.
What I hope for is the American media to pick up on this and start reporting on it. I think most Americans are oblivious to the anti-American streak in Canadians. Maybe we are too nice to them when we encounter them in the US. Keep in mind in 2007 there were 38 million Canadians and Mexicans visitors to the US, with the majority being Canadian. If more Canadians hear about this from Americans while they are here it may start to change the mindset in Canada. Maybe then they'll re-think the need to talk smack about the US.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:22 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
having lived in a border state most of my life I have noticed a lot less of Canadian subversiveness insofar as them trying to sneak their funny money into our tip jars these past couple of decades.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:41 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,938,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
What I hope for is the American media to pick up on this and start reporting on it. I think most Americans are oblivious to the anti-American streak in Canadians. Maybe we are too nice to them when we encounter them in the US. Keep in mind in 2007 there were 38 million Canadians and Mexicans visitors to the US, with the majority being Canadian. If more Canadians hear about this from Americans while they are here it may start to change the mindset in Canada. Maybe then they'll re-think the need to talk smack about the US.
I agree, tom--Americans are way too nice (and yes, often completely oblivious) about anti-Americanism in western countries such as Canada and often are, for whatever reason, just as nice when tourists (i.e. Canadian tourists) behave rudely while visiting their country. Again, I can only theorize that Canadians reserve their supposedly wonderful manners for, say, their European vacations as opposed to their visits to the U.S.

Anyway, though, I think that Canada's holier-than-thou disposition toward the U.S. predates NAFTA and is probably more a product of the Trudeau reign than anything else--it's extremely difficult to overlook the nationalist sentiment that Canada's Liberal governments have propagated over the last 50+ years (sentiments that have, by the way, become just as embarrassingly fanatical as any display of nationalism I've ever seen in the United States).

But I suppose that's probably pushing us off topic just a little bit...

Old 07-27-2012, 10:02 AM

271 posts, read 532,185 times
I think there's a lot of misinformation about the "Canadians are so friendly" stereotype. From my experiences as a Canadian, I'd say this is true of people in smaller towns, the salt-of-the-earth types that exist everywhere. The problem is, these people don't tend to vacay in the States-- they usually stay within Canada and go to larger cities or coastal towns, and if they go to the states, it's sleepy places in Florida, Arizona, or California. The States seems to get the tourists who live in cities and most city dwellers everywhere are basically the same-- hurried, impatient if you are of no monetary value to them, rude, etc.

I found the people in Chicago to be overwhelmingly friendly, hotel workers, city staff, even out in the suburbs, people were so friendly. In Montreal, for example, I just got glared at. I think Americans have a very unfortunate reputation abroad that's related to their foreign policy, but from experiences, I think their citizens are just swell (and nicer than Canadians).

Old 07-28-2012, 08:10 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,307,351 times
Quote:
Right on.

Growing up in the US in the 1960s-1980s, I never had a negative thought even cross my mind about Canada. If anything - if I ever even thought about it, which was rare - I felt some affection for our northern neighbor. When I would occasionally meet a Canadian, it was a pleasant interaction.

Somewhere along the way (can anyone say NAFTA?) the scenario shifted, and suddenly - surprisingly in fact, I started hearing a lot of smack talk about the US - from Canadians. At first, I thought it was exaggerated and a fluke, but over the past ten years I've seen a MARKED increase in negativity and arrogance from Canadians toward US citizens and the US in general.

Frankly, I don't appreciate it.
We Canadians are Open to Renegotiate NAFTA if the U.S. and Mexico want to Redo the Agreement Also..

Heck we are even open to dropping the Free Trade agreement if you want too.

-Many Canadians Want to Renegotiate NAFTA

(Angus Reid Global Monitor) – Public support for the reassessment of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) has increased in Canada, according to a poll by Angus Reid Strategies. 52 per cent of respondents think their country should do whatever is necessary to renegotiate the terms of the commerce deal, up seven points since March.

Conversely, 18 per cent of respondents want Canada to continue to be a member of NAFTA under the current terms, and 11 per cent believe the country should do whatever is necessary to leave the commerce deal.

In 1993, NAFTA brought Mexico into the Free Trade Agreement between Canada and the U.S. that had been in place since 1989. The accord eliminated import tariffs on goods circulating among the three countries.
When asked which country has benefited the most from NAFTA, only seven per cent of respondents mention Canada, while 46 per cent say the U.S. has come out ahead, and 30 per cent think Mexico has done better.
Source: Many Canadians Want to Renegotiate NAFTA | Angus Reid Public Opinion

Old 07-30-2012, 01:35 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Quote:
. Maybe then they'll re-think the need to talk smack about the US.
If you are wondering why some Canadians arent all that crazy about America its values and its people take a browse through the Politics & Controversies section of this forum and you might get an idea as to why.
Interesting how this topic started out as one posters mild criticism of a few Canadian tourists and its just escalated through the topic to outright dislike for Canada and Canadians, a veritable lets bash Canada thread that the op culminates in the the true reason for the topic in post 24.=

Quote:
I agree, tom--Americans are way too nice (and yes, often completely oblivious) about anti-Americanism in western countries such as Canada and often are, for whatever reason, just as nice when tourists (i.e. Canadian tourists) behave rudely while visiting their country. Again, I can only theorize that Canadians reserve their supposedly wonderful manners for, say, their European vacations as opposed to their visits to the U.S.

Anyway, though, I think that Canada's holier-than-thou disposition toward the U.S. predates NAFTA and is probably more a product of the Trudeau reign than anything else--it's extremely difficult to overlook the nationalist sentiment that Canada's Liberal governments have propagated over the last 50+ years (sentiments that have, by the way, become just as embarrassingly fanatical as any display of nationalism I've ever seen in the United States).

But I suppose that's probably pushing us off topic just a little bit...
As for being off topic? i dont think so, you started the topic to bash Canadians and you're doing a fine job of it,keep it up as you Americans have been just too darn nice to us Canadians and maybe its time for them to get what they deserve,Did Canada and Canadians just get added to your list of things/people to hate?.This whole anti Canada topic sure sounds like something Limbaugh would inspire..
Canada's holier-than-thou disposition toward the U.S.? your level of hypocrisy is astounding.

Last edited by jambo101; 07-30-2012 at 02:21 AM..

Old 07-30-2012, 09:11 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,099,024 times
I am a Canadian and am very glad that this thread has been started. Personally, I find fellow Canadians to be derogatory about the U.S. in general, the intelligence of the average American, and massively intolerant of American patroitism (?). We seem to constantly whine about how ignorant the Americans are about Canada, yet seem to think that "wild west" style shootouts are commonplace in most American cities. We spend far more time trying to base our identity on "not being American" rather than highlighting the few differences that make us Canadian.

Anti-American sentiment among Canadians is borne out of feelings of inferiority and nothing more. When we look at Canadians and Americans as a whole, it quickly becomes obvious that we eat the same foods, wear the same clothes, drive the same cars, watch the same films, listen to the same music, celebrate the same major holidays, enjoy the same pastimes, and share a common history with each other. In fact, it is safe to say that there are far more similarities than differences between the two countries. I have travelled extensively throughout both countries and can attest that any major differences between Canadians and Americans is 95% regional. Toronto is no more like Miami than it is Gander, Newfoundland. In the same sense that New York is no more like Green Bay, WI than it is Sudbury, ON.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:05 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Anti-American sentiment among Canadians is borne out of feelings of inferiority and nothing more. .
As a Canadian do you see yourself being inferior to Americans?
As for American patriotism you'll have to point it out to me as all i see is half the country trashing the other half of the country, the President is being called everything from Kenyan Communist to Murderer,
Gays,Mexicans,environmentalists,blacks,Latinos,the poor are all vilified. Odd interpretation of patriotism.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:28 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,904,309 times
Quote:
The funny part of this is that you will rarely, if ever, see a Canadian do this when they are in the US. I'm sure more Canadians flock to the US than the reverse. Every beach I visit in the US you will almost always see a Canadian plate in the parking lot.

Seriously, who wants to go that icebox in winter. Even in summer their beaches suck. Canada has no redeeming warm climate features.

There are a few good beaches in Ontario, such as Grand Bend and Sauble on Lake Huron. The beaches on the American side of Lake Huron are awful. The one I occasionally visit, Lakeside Park in Port Huron, is often quite full of Ontario plates in the lot, as it is only a few miles north of the Blue Water Bridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
We Canadians are Open to Renegotiate NAFTA if the U.S. and Mexico want to Redo the Agreement Also..

Heck we are even open to dropping the Free Trade agreement if you want too.
I'd love to see it renegotiated. Mexico should be kicked out. The US and Canada need their manufacturing bases back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
I am a Canadian and am very glad that this thread has been started. Personally, I find fellow Canadians to be derogatory about the U.S. in general, the intelligence of the average American, and massively intolerant of American patroitism (?). We seem to constantly whine about how ignorant the Americans are about Canada, yet seem to think that "wild west" style shootouts are commonplace in most American cities. We spend far more time trying to base our identity on "not being American" rather than highlighting the few differences that make us Canadian.

Anti-American sentiment among Canadians is borne out of feelings of inferiority and nothing more. When we look at Canadians and Americans as a whole, it quickly becomes obvious that we eat the same foods, wear the same clothes, drive the same cars, watch the same films, listen to the same music, celebrate the same major holidays, enjoy the same pastimes, and share a common history with each other. In fact, it is safe to say that there are far more similarities than differences between the two countries. I have travelled extensively throughout both countries and can attest that any major differences between Canadians and Americans is 95% regional. Toronto is no more like Miami than it is Gander, Newfoundland. In the same sense that New York is no more like Green Bay, WI than it is Sudbury, ON.
Living quite close to the Canadian border, we have both Canadian and American pop culture from which to choose. We have quite a few Ontario radio stations, from Leamington, Windsor, Sarnia, Chatham, and even London if conditions are right. The music is definitely different, probably because of the CRTC, but you don't hear a lot of Canadian stuff (except for the absolutely biggest hits...Call Me Maybe comes to mine at the moment) on the American stations. CBC Windsor is on our cable television here, and I spent more time watching CBC children's programming than American children's programming back in the day. The last cable provider I had even had Global Toronto, and I miss watching the morning news show and the shots of the Gardiner, the QEW, and the DVP in morning rush hour. Canadian television programs definitely feel different than American. Shows like Little Mosque on the Prairie would never get play here. Food is slightly different, I'm thinking peameal bacon and vinegar on fries. (I will say I wish American Costcos had the Montreal meat sandwich in their food courts like Canadian ones do.) Beef tastes different to me, too, but I'm not sure exactly why. Milk in a plastic bag is never seen in the US. On the whole, Canada feels different, but not wildly different. My wife barely notices the difference, but her family owns land on the Bruce Peninsula, and she thinks Ohio feels more different than Ontario compared to Michigan.

As for the Canadian flags on everything: I always thought it was a defence mechanism on the part of Canadians, like they felt some sort of an inferiority complex. Perhaps I was wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas