Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 10:58 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Americans are severely developmentally retarded. America is the only country in the world in which a 20-year old is too immature to drink alcohol, and is almost the only country in the world where there are jurisdictions in which a 17 year old is not mature enough to consent to sex.
And how many Americans do you know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 11:08 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilMayhem666 View Post
I think that there are a couple of more countries like that.
Yes, a couple. Sri Lanka, Palau, and a handful of Muslim countries, in many of which drinking is illegal at any age.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:56 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
In one state in India, the drinking age is either 25 or 27.

In many countries in Latin America, the youth only leave the house at or near marriage, or perhaps to go to college. In that case, they often return to their house on the weekends to pick up food for next week. Some even stay past marriage. It seems like the majority of middle-class people in Mexico (not speaking for other Latin American countries) have "muchachas" who at least do their laundry and often cook or do other chores. With the family unit being tighter many Mexican girls of college or further age act as allo-parents to their nieces and nephews.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:55 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times
From what I have seen they finish high school at the same age as the US. If they grow up faster its because there is not enforced drinking age, higher crime rates, and a good chance mom or dad may get a knife pulled out on them on the way home from the market.

Stuff gets stolen easier, even crappy cell phones need to be concealed in many areas. Forget about having an Apple product out in the open.

My 14 year old cousin once grabbed a woman's hand who was trying to pickpocket her at an outdoor market for a cheap cell phone.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:14 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
I came to the US when I was 16 and thought it was funny seeing the High School kids bragging about having a beer.
In Venezuela, most kids start drinnking at 12 and by the time they are 16-18 they are drinking just like any other adult (not going around bragging about it)

Old 01-02-2013, 10:50 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Yes and no. As someone already mentioned, affluence/class has a significant role in the answer to this question and whether this should be perceived as positive/negative on either side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Yes, a couple. Sri Lanka, Palau, and a handful of Muslim countries, in many of which drinking is illegal at any age.
For Muslim nations, it's their religion. Nothing retarded about that.

I honestly don't see drinking as an indication of maturity, especially considering how many people lose their lives due to alcohol or are victims of abuse involving alcohol in Latin American (and the Caribbean) countries, generally speaking. Too many people are never able to properly handle it.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:09 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times
Agreed. I don't see how drinking correlates with maturity. My first thought when I saw the words twelve years olds getting drunk, I wondered how that effects brain development. I think their is a reason growing bodies should abstain from certain things.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:23 AM

84 posts, read 225,138 times
I don't know about North America but in comparison with Europe they do adult life much earlier.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:30 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Just a thought, but the youngest female to ever have a baby was a 5 yr. old girl from Peru. That is pretty darn young, not only to have a baby, but to be having sex.
No 5 yr old would consent to sex. She most likely was raped.
However,it seems lots of men from latin America are attracted to girls ages 10 on up.
Women from latin america seem to dress their little girls in that age as adult woman.
But maybe they do that once they get to America?

On the flip side,lots of older women from latin America seem to have a younger boy toy.

But the men attracted to younger tweens? That is disturbing.
What is even more disturbing is that it might be normal in most of the world but the Usa and some parts of Europe.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:42 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,429,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
No 5 yr old would consent to sex. She most likely was raped.
However,it seems lots of men from latin America are attracted to girls ages 10 on up.
Nice, you're accusing a whole sub-continent of paedophilia. Can you back that up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas