Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2015, 04:33 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
If America is one and not North and South, then let's be consistent. Your list should read like this:

America
Eurasia
Oceania
Africa
Doesn't matter either way, when you are referring to people by their nationality why do people from South America all of a sudden want to be referred to by the Continent they are from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 06:50 PM

2,948 posts, read 2,917,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
If America is one and not North and South, then let's be consistent. Your list should read like this:

America
Eurasia
Oceania
Africa
No, Europa and Asia don't share a bunch of fundational socio-historical process like same civilization (occidental), cristian religion, ethnic background (european inmigration plus african slaves), descolonization process (national independist revolutions from Europe), etc, as North America and South America do.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:55 PM

440 posts, read 377,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Doesn't matter either way, when you are referring to people by their nationality why do people from South America all of a sudden want to be referred to by the Continent they are from?
Not all of a sudden. America has always been one thing: a continent, so it is common knowledge that if you are born in America you are American. When it was massively known that the USA was using "America" and "American" as if they meant nationality, their own nationality, of course, a protest rose. It is a natural reaction that if your continental identity is being taken away from you you will make your voice heardable.

By the way, no one is denying United Statesians their continentality, they are Americans the same way Peruvians, Colombians, Brazilians or Nicaraguans are Americans. What is basically being said is: you need your own demonym because you lack one and you cannot arbitrarily take one that defines millions of people with a history that predates the foundation of the USA.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:55 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,559,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
No, Europa and Asia don't share a bunch of fundational socio-historical process like same civilization (occidental), cristian religion, ethnic background (european inmigration plus african slaves), descolonization process (national independist revolutions from Europe), etc, as North America and South America do.
Europe and Asia have routinely invaded each other throughout history with the Roman Empire conquering chunks of Asia and North Africa and the Ottman Empire extending well into Europe. The Mongol Empire extended all the way from China to Germany at one point. Europe and Asia have actually shared a lot of culture. Christianity and all the Abrahamic religions began in Asia.

As far as Independence revolutions or just revolutions in general go the whole world was effected by the war of independence. The war of independence in the United States triggered the French revolution which lead to an extreme amount of change in Europe and lead to revolutions in Latin America as well. That was the US effecting the whole world not just the Americas.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:10 AM

728 posts, read 975,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haukur View Post
By the way, no one is denying United Statesians their continentality, they are Americans the same way Peruvians, Colombians, Brazilians or Nicaraguans are Americans. What is basically being said is: you need your own demonym because you lack one and you cannot arbitrarily take one that defines millions of people with a history that predates the foundation of the USA.
There is no need for a new demonym. If someone says Americano or American, you know they're referring to a Usian and not a Dominican, Haitian or Brazilian.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:41 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
I'd like to think of Canadians, Mexicans, etc. as North Americans, and Argentinians, Bolivians, etc. as South Americans "America" and "American" do belong to the USA in my view, if only because it is the only country in North or South America with "America" as part of its official name.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:24 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
This again...

Look, if I ever am in a Latin counry or speaking Spanish, I will refer to myself as Estadounidense. If I'm speaking English, I'll refer to myself as an American since that's the denonym for my nationality in English, not to mention that United Stasesian or Usian or whatever sound awkward to me.

wonder if anyone is gonna ask the Chinese to stop referring to us as Meiguo ren or the Japanese to Sto using Amekojin.

A bunch of nitpicking over nothing.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:05 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haukur View Post
Not all of a sudden. America has always been one thing: a continent, so it is common knowledge that if you are born in America you are American. When it was massively known that the USA was using "America" and "American" as if they meant nationality, their own nationality, of course, a protest rose. It is a natural reaction that if your continental identity is being taken away from you you will make your voice heardable.

Have you not been on earth like your whole life? we already have one ... American, we call ourselves Americans and people call us Americans... its our nationality.

Don't like what we and everyone call ourselves? well that is too bad because we aren't going to randomly change what our demonym just to satisfy a couple internet crybabies from South America.

My advise it to quit worrying so much about Americans and how we do things, we are just people like you, we are no more or less special, just let us be... you can also just refer to yourself by your nationality if you want to avoid confusion (that is what most people do when they are on vacation).

Old 03-19-2015, 02:10 PM

844 posts, read 1,063,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
This again...

Look, if I ever am in a Latin counry or speaking Spanish, I will refer to myself as Estadounidense. If I'm speaking English, I'll refer to myself as an American since that's the denonym for my nationality in English, not to mention that United Stasesian or Usian or whatever sound awkward to me.

wonder if anyone is gonna ask the Chinese to stop referring to us as Meiguo ren or the Japanese to Sto using Amekojin.

A bunch of nitpicking over nothing.
My thoughts exactly. Rep to you

Old 03-19-2015, 03:14 PM

440 posts, read 377,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Have you not been on earth like your whole life? we already have one ... American, we call ourselves Americans and people call us Americans... its our nationality.

Don't like what we and everyone call ourselves? well that is too bad because we aren't going to randomly change what our demonym just to satisfy a couple internet crybabies from South America.

My advise it to quit worrying so much about Americans and how we do things, we are just people like you, we are no more or less special, just let us be... you can also just refer to yourself by your nationality if you want to avoid confusion (that is what most people do when they are on vacation).
I have been called American my entire life because that's what I am, an American. It's not nationality; it's continentality.

Understand that if other people call United Statesians "Americans" as if it meant nationality is not because is it the correct demonym, it is only because of the influence the United Statesian media has around the world. It is simply a matter of repeating what people hear.

Most of us grew up calling Japanese and Koreans "Chinese" even though they aren't Chinese, it is only because we heard adults calling any Asian person "Chinese".

The USA lacks a demonym and, as long as the USA doesn't fixes the problem (its own) you won't be able to stop people from expressing their complaint.

America is not a country! - YouTube

Last edited by Haukur; 03-19-2015 at 03:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas