Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2015, 03:04 AM

440 posts, read 377,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
The US is referred to as America because it was the first independent nation in the Western Hemisphere and the most powerful empire in the world at the time the British Empire called people from the new nation Americans. That is what the rest of the world went on to call the people from the United States of America. That's all across the world for over two centuries now.

Tiger Beer is right you definitely come off ass arrogant and annoying and as someone to just avoid dealing with. I mean you only resurrected a dead thread that had it's last response back in 2013 and had really ended in 2012.
I believe this is a misunderstanding by the USA that was reaffirmed in the minds of United Statesians as time passed.

Before the USA came to exist there was already a continent called America.

Now, any American country could come tomorrow and add "America" to their nation's name, let's say "Colombia of America". If they started to call themselves "Americans" meaning nationality the same conflict would rise. The same feeling of unfair appropriation of a term that defines millions of people equally and backed up by history would rise.

Some US citizens have acknowledged this conflict and have proposed several terms to give a proper and distinct demonym to their fellow compatriots such as United Statesian, United Statster, Usanian, Usonian among others.

If the topic is open why not discuss it? If you don't want to discuss it you simply don't leave any comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 03:55 AM

502 posts, read 655,194 times
in the case of spanish speakers in the Americas, I think it is a problem of translation from Spanish.
In Spanish, America is the name of the whole American continent (what it is called the Americas in the USA). America never refers to the country USA.

So "americano" in Spanish means that you are part of that continent, in the same way European or African.

So for spanish speakers, when someone says "American" we tend to translate it in our head to "americano", which means someone from the continent "the Americas".

Moreover, there is a word in Spanish for people from the USA, which is "estadounidense".

Old 03-08-2015, 05:27 AM

471 posts, read 621,299 times
America = Entire landmass from Canada to Argentina. America is a Spanish word. The female version of Americo Vespucio. Colon's cartographer.

Old 03-08-2015, 05:29 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
I'm working in S. America for a Canadian based company. I try not to say America or Americans when I refer to the USA but honestly many of them do that so in that case, I will also call us Americans. But I understand, Canada, Mexico, all S. America are Americans.

Old 03-08-2015, 06:30 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I'm working in S. America for a Canadian based company. I try not to say America or Americans when I refer to the USA but honestly many of them do that so in that case, I will also call us Americans. But I understand, Canada, Mexico, all S. America are Americans.
That's my experience as well. I was living in South America for a year. CONSTANTLY was referred to as an Americano from America. Constantly! Europeans do the same, they talk about 'America' instead of saying the U.S.

You'll never read an American newspaper (from the U.S.) that says the word 'America' in place of the U.S. But if you read a British newspaper, you'll see that mistake all the time.

That's why its super annoying when you have some internet guy try to "educate" people from the U.S. about something that is formally wrong in most OTHER countries.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 03-08-2015 at 07:47 AM..

Old 03-08-2015, 06:35 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
What the F is a united statian? or whatever this "CD term" is?

Old 03-08-2015, 10:11 AM

2,948 posts, read 2,917,363 times
oh no, this thing again

The use of the word "America" by the United States as a name had a political origin based on the Manifest destiny doctrine emerged during a heavy imperialistic era for the world (the second half of nineteenth century) and has remained as such till today.

The constitutional denomination of the country is clear: United States of America, where 'United States' is the real name, 'of' is an article wich means inclusion in America, the new world continent from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:32 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,558,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haukur View Post
I believe this is a misunderstanding by the USA that was reaffirmed in the minds of United Statesians as time passed.
Really? More trolling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haukur
Before the USA came to exist there was already a continent called America.
You realize in a lot of other parts of the World it's two continents that make up the western hemisphere right? Not to mention if we go by tectonic plates North America and South America sit on different plates and got connected to each other by volcanic activity that created Panama. In the US when I was a kid we were taught that there were seven continents. Yet when I went to college in the US they taught there was only six with Europe and Asia being combined into one continent called Eurasia. The point I'm getting at with all of this is that Continents are agreed upon by everyone in this world. Most Americans and Canadians and others who were under the influence of the British Empire or the American sphere of influence usually divide the Western Hemisphere into North America and South America.

Quote:
Now, any American country could come tomorrow and add "America" to their nation's name, let's say "Colombia of America". If they started to call themselves "Americans" meaning nationality the same conflict would rise. The same feeling of unfair appropriation of a term that defines millions of people equally and backed up by history would rise.
They could but yet they haven't and it's been around 200 years now for them so I doubt they are going to do it at this point. So I'm finding this supposed "point" your trying to make as childish.

Quote:
Some US citizens have acknowledged this conflict and have proposed several terms to give a proper and distinct demonym to their fellow compatriots such as United Statesian, United Statster, Usanian, Usonian among others.
Yet more trolling.

As far as these American citizens go how much of the population do they make up %.00001 or is it even lower than that?

Quote:
If the topic is open why not discuss it? If you don't want to discuss it you simply don't leave any comments.
I got to ask why you wouldn't just create a new topic instead of resurrecting a topic that was dead years ago.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:34 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,558,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
What the F is a united statian? or whatever this "CD term" is?
Something that only very few people in Latin America care about and that the rest of the world could give a **** less about.

Old 03-08-2015, 12:47 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Saying 'American' to refer to someone from the United States makes you annoying to 1% of the world's population.

Saying 'Unitedstatesian' to refer to someone from the United State makes you annoying to 99% of the world's population.

Pick your side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas