Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 06:51 PM

557 posts, read 673,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The reality is a lot of people from other countries are jealous of the United States and take every opportunity to find a way to criticize us to even petty means like getting mad at us for referring to ourselves as Americans. I studied in Oxford, and the Canadians there would distance themselves from us and try to say they had nothing in common with Americans because we were easy targets from envious Europeans. And this was in the 80's. Having been exposed to this, when I travel to other countries, I expect this type of jealous backlash. It's really pretty flattering.
You're absolutely right, they envy our successes and our cultural dominance. America's the popular kid in school and these other countries hate the fact that we're the center of the world's attention.

Americans can call themselves Americans because we are Americans. There is no continent named America. The USA was the first recognized independent country in the Americas and was the first to officially use "America" to described itself. These other countries need to learn to live with this fact and get on with their lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 06:56 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
From my time on this forum it seems to be almost entirely people from the USA that have a problems with being called American.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:53 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,651 times
This arises from the fact that a person born in Europe is referred to as "a European", a person from Asian is "an Asian" and a person born in the Americas is called an American. That's the region but not the country. In the case of the USA it is both, maybe this can be called a "language glitch".

Most countries have an official name for people from the USA, which you can find on your alien registration document but you will also be referred to as an American in the common everyday language in most places.

The one that struck me as very humorous was when I went to the UK, by accident I got into the line for people with European passports when I reached the immigration officer he pointed to another line and said "Colonials over there." Later I noticed that many older Brits used that term for people from former colonies. Maybe I looked like Ned Kelly.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
This arises from the fact that a person born in Europe is referred to as "a European", a person from Asian is "an Asian" and a person born in the Americas is called an American. That's the region but not the country. In the case of the USA it is both, maybe this can be called a "language glitch".
The problem with this thinking is- "Europe" is a continent and "Americas" is not. We don't call Europeans and Asians "Eurasians" do we? So if Germany decided to rename itself the "United Germans of Eurasia" and the people "Eurasians", would it make sense for Europeans and Asians to be upset?

Old 12-29-2012, 08:56 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
The problem with this thinking is- "Europe" is a continent and "Americas" is not. We don't call Europeans and Asians "Eurasians" do we? So if Germany decided to rename itself the "United Germans of Eurasia" and the people "Eurasians", would it make sense for Europeans and Asians to be upset?

A Eurasian is a person who is mixed with one European parent and one Asian parent. It has been a part of the English language for a century and a hslf.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
A Eurasian is a person who is mixed with one European parent and one Asian parent. It has been a part of the English language for a century and a hslf.
Not in the context I'm referring to.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:21 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,487,999 times
It is because in other languages (not english) America means the whole continent, if I hear America I think about the continent, the country is USA or EEUU or EUA,for that reason a Canadian or a Peruvian are also Americans

Old 12-30-2012, 07:03 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
It is because in other languages (not english) America means the whole continent, if I hear America I think about the continent, the country is USA or EEUU or EUA,for that reason a Canadian or a Peruvian are also Americans
But Catbelle, I'm Latin American. Nobody from my region of the world calls ourselves americanos. We are always argentino, chileno, venezolano, colombiano, mexicano, costaricense, etc. We never call ourselves americanos, those are the people from the USA, and we always refer to the name of our country when we say we are from. If someone doesn't know where our country is, then we say we're from Latinoamérica, not América.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:07 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
From my time on this forum it seems to be almost entirely people from the USA that have a problems with being called American.
Bingo. They are self-hating, most either live abroad, too, or are if the "world citizen" mentality.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:14 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
In German it is also America for South, Central and North America combined. Seldom do people get more specific and say South America, in that case they usually use the country's name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas