Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: vs
Guatemala 14 48.28%
Nicaragua 10 34.48%
El Salvador 4 13.79%
Honduras 1 3.45%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 10:02 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,535,684 times

Advertisements

When I was in Nicaragua, people came in from further north raving about Guatemala all of the time. Travellers loved Lake Atitlan and Antigua, etc. I have only ever been in Nica as far as CA is concerned, but it was a great time and I have a soft spot for that country. I feel the need to return to make it to Ometepe for next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 11:44 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,040,205 times
I've been to Guatemala City 2X now and I never saw any of this! Too smoggy on the days I was there?

Old 04-24-2013, 01:43 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,738,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
When I was in Nicaragua, people came in from further north raving about Guatemala all of the time. Travellers loved Lake Atitlan and Antigua, etc. I have only ever been in Nica as far as CA is concerned, but it was a great time and I have a soft spot for that country. I feel the need to return to make it to Ometepe for next time.
Lake Atitlan and Antigua are pretty nice and are worth a visit (I also recommend checking out Lake Izabal and Livingston on the Caribbean coast just for the different ambiance alone). The Copan Ruins in Honduras are also worth a visit and are easily reachable from Antigua and Guatemala City thru various shuttle and bus lines.

Guatemala City itself can be skipped although the Mercado Central is worth it if you want to pick up souvenirs since the prices tend to be cheaper than elsewhere.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:43 PM

275 posts, read 978,425 times
Travelling from Mexico to Gt is very cheap. I have heard that all those countries are very unsafe, especially El Salvador.

I think that as everybody mentioned, Gt has more things to offer, due of course, of the territory extension; maybe. Also Gt is a wealthier country in comparisson with the other ones.

In the other side i think Honduras is the one with the biggest caribbean soul, something that you wont be in ES. Despite of that small territories, it exists a vast differences of cultures between each others

Old 04-24-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanluisito View Post
Travelling from Mexico to Gt is very cheap. I have heard that all those countries are very unsafe, especially El Salvador.
I have heard!!! The bargain-seeking tourists to Central America, who were brave enough to explore "unsafe" El Salvador, like myself, were richly rewarded by the I-have-hearder's! Those of us to fell in love with this country and its astoundingly friendly people, wish the negative press continues ad infinitum!

The fewer the tourists, the merrier we shall be!

The Ruta de Los Flores in El Salvador is a very scenic region of Central America!

Old 04-25-2013, 07:20 PM

428 posts, read 643,609 times
El Salvador is on our list for next winter. tell me more please?

Old 04-25-2013, 08:10 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,403,667 times
Quote:
I've been to Guatemala City 2X now and I never saw any of this! Too smoggy on the days I was there?
Your lying or blind. lol

El Salvador is a really beautiful country. Its the smallest of the the four, and everything seems to fit perfectly into it. Even its volcanoes are small.

My wife is Salvadorean and i've spent alot of time there. It is a nice place to visit, but in all honesty it doesnt have the atractions Guatemala has. There is nothing in El Salvador as impressive as Tikal or Yaxha. There is no native cultures in El Salvador. And even alot of the crafts they sell in EL Salvador are rip offs of Mayan crafts from Guatemala. One thing El Salvador has over Guatemala are its beaches. If your a surfer, El Salvador is probably your best best, Along the Libertad coast there is alot of beautiful places to stay and surf. Another thing El Salvador has over Guatemala is its infrastrucutre, The roads and highways are in better shape, probably the best highways in Central America....and also, peoples houses seem to be in better shape, they seem to take better care of their homes. Guatemalan towns aren't particularly atractive.
Its true Salvadoreans are really freindly and most tourist vist there with no problems. Don't let the bad press stop you from going.

Having said all that Guatemala is still your best bet. It just has way more to see and place to hang out at for awhile.

Quote:
I have heard that all those countries are very unsafe, especially El Salvador.
Well thats true, GT, E.S and Honduras are all pretty bad, But the vast majority of tourist go and have a great time. Nicaragua is one of the safest countries in Latin America.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:16 AM

428 posts, read 643,609 times
that's great details, thanks!
we have up to five months next winter and are looking for somewhere to relax and hang near a beach. dh will be recovering
from nasty chemo and needs to lie in the sun day after day to get warm again and to get his strength back.
I've always wanted to surf and if I can find someone wiling to teach this chubby middle aged lady then I will learn finally!

plus we are both foodies and love exploring local cuisine way more than ruins and museums, lol.
our basic needs are clean, quiet, safe and within an hour of a decent medical facility. I assume we'd rent a car for some day trips and groceries, etc.
and if I am super duper lucky there will be a stable nearby where I can rent a horse a few times a week.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:29 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,403,667 times
My recomendation for you would be Antigua Guatemala. Its safe, lots of good restaurants, and everything you need near by. And if you rent a car you can be at a beach in El Salvador in no time. Guatemala does have beaches too. Monterrico isn't bad, sipacate is nice too. El parendon beach is a great place to surf along Guatemalas coast, And its not too far from Antigua. I'm sure some one is willing to teach you regardless your age.
Paredon Surf House - Surfing in Guatemala, beach hotel, surf camp and guest house hostel

If you don't want to go to Guatemala, you might be able to find a place in right La Libertad El Salvador. But you might have to drive a bit further for some of your other needs. Nicaragua would be an even better place still. Granada is a beautiful town, its close to the beach, And Nicaragua is by far the safest of these countries.

Last edited by UrbanLuis; 04-26-2013 at 01:37 PM..

Old 04-26-2013, 08:44 PM

My views of Central America are a bit distorted, being that I have lived in the Desert SW for too long, and as a result of it, I sidestep any areas where I'll collide with both heat and humidity! The longer you live in the desert (10% average humidity here in Las Vegas) the more sensitive you become to humidity. And, I was a little nervous about trying Central America, was afraid it was going to be too humid for me, but I found spots down there where I was quite comfortable, and visiting there the right time of the year, late Fall/Winter.

I stuck mainly with altitude relief, hitting the cities with the higher altitudes. I knew better than to even try the coastal regions or Tikal, as I'd keel over on the sidewalks! Out of curiosity, the only coastal city I tried was Monterrico, and I knew the minute I landed there it was going to be a disaster! I was the first one waiting for the bus the next morning out of there to take me up to Guatemala City at 5000 feet!

El Salvador surprised me on the 3 times I was there (no coastal regions though) and perhaps, due to the amount of wind, I was never really uncomfortable there whether it be Las Palmas, Santa Ana, San Salvador or San Vicente, or Jujuya.

The higher altitude areas of Guatemala are ideal for me! I was nervous about Nicaragua but I found the highest altitude area there and was most comfortable. Grenada, Managua, I knew better than to try those 2 cities.

If you are traveling to Central America and you come from a higher heat and humidity area of the U.S., you won't have those concerns! Lucky you!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas