Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 06:41 PM

64 posts, read 82,991 times

Advertisements

I always say that Rio could easily be the most beautiful city in the world if better planned/taken care of. It would be awesome if they could revitalize and transform the hills into something like Santorini. Unfortunately I don't believe the Brazilian politicians will do anything, not even in 20 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 09:33 PM

10,080 posts, read 14,952,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
So, show me exactly where I have claimed "great infrastructure" in Rocinha or any other Brazilian favela?

Why are you talking about "infrastructure"? Maybe you are some kind of functional illiterate, so you can't properly read?

Where in the videos is it claimed that Rocinha has "great public infrastructure"?

Where in my posts is it claimed?

No, the Brazilian favelas don't have great public infrastructure. In fact, in my own posts I have made it clear that the favelas look "chaotic".

By the way, I posted VIDEOS of Rocinha, so you don't need to post any photos of it from Google Street View, because the VIDEOS that I posted surely give a much more clear vision of the place than any static photos.

So, what is your point?

Yeah, the favelas have terrible public infrastructure, and I'm glad only 6% of Brazilians live in favelas, according to the last Census data, what means 94% of Brazilians don't live in favelas.

But at the same time that the favelas have poor public infrastructure, many of them have a reasonable PRIVATE infrastructure, in terms of PRIVATE SERVICES, like restaurants, shops, delivery of pizza, and even bank branches (as is the case in Rocinha, shown in the videos). And each year that passes, and the income of the people who live in the favelas increases more and more, we see even more private services in the favelas.

By the way, even if the public infrastructure in the favela isn't great, at least more than 90% of the houses in Brazil's favelas have electricity and running water.

And, most important of all, regardless of the infrastructure that people in the favelas have OUTSIDE of their homes, the real point here is what people have INSIDE their homes, and they have EVERYTHING that people in any American ghetto have: flat panel TV, Xbox, refrigerator, washing machine, laptop, some even have air conditioning in some of the rooms of their homes.

SO, I CAN PROVE BEYOND ANY DOUBT MY POINT: people in the Brazilian favelas no longer live in "misery" or in "abject poverty". They are only 6% of Brazilians, but even them are not living in "abject poverty".

So, your pathetic attempt to ridicularize Brazil and Brazilian favelas by posting Google Street View pictures proved to be an incredible FAIL.
Did it ever occurred to you that I was not responding to you or anyone else?

Its a good thing everyone on City-Data is not as self-centered, otherwise these threads would had been filled with idiotic posts like the one posted by MalaMan:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/europ...l#post33619042

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ameri...l#post33277651

Old 03-12-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
It is kind of funny how in the United States, living in the mountains is for the rich, but if you go to Latin America it is all of the poor neighborhoods. I always thought they were lucky
That's not true everywhere in Latin America. A good example is Bogota, Colombia; the mountains on the edge of the city are slum free. In fact, many foothills of those mountains are developed as elegant neighborhoods for the wealthy and upper middle class.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:33 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,788,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Did it ever occurred to you that I was not responding to you or anyone else?

Its a good thing everyone on City-Data is not as self-centered, otherwise these threads would had been filled with idiotic posts like the one posted by MalaMan:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/europ...l#post33619042

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ameri...l#post33277651

I know from where you're coming, AntonioR

I know your posts and your points of view. And I know your intents.

I will give you the answers that you deserve.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:21 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,968,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcatwood View Post
I always say that Rio could easily be the most beautiful city in the world if better planned/taken care of. It would be awesome if they could revitalize and transform the hills into something like Santorini. Unfortunately I don't believe the Brazilian politicians will do anything, not even in 20 years.
Maybe the government or Batista could give away free white paint and have all those favelas residents paint their own homes and make their cities look like those Medeterranian beach towns.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:33 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,968,692 times
Quote:
That's not true everywhere in Latin America. A good example is Bogota, Colombia; the mountains on the edge of the city are slum free. In fact, many foothills of those mountains are developed as elegant neighborhoods for the wealthy and upper middle class.
Not true. Just google Bogota slum images and you will see most are on hilly areas. It depends on the area. They are just not allowed to build their homes in the rich neighborhoods because those are usually already privately owned. The internally displaced which are millions of people are not going to the downtown areas to built their slums. They build them where they can.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:32 PM

256 posts, read 572,939 times
I was in Rocinha on a recent trip to Brazil. I agree that it has banks, restaurants (including sushi)...plenty of people are well dressed and their homes have computers and other amenities that plenty of poor people in the US and other places don't have.

The most jilting part as an American is the wiring and chaos. But it wasn't as I imagined- which was really destitute and full of beggars, no running water, etc.

Americans can stand to visit other places and learn about them.

Let me tell you, if you are scared of a place like Copacabana then you probably should avoid NYC and Chicago and LA. Parts of Rio (and Sao Paulo and Buenos Aires) felt perfectly first world and safer than plenty of US cities I have visited.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:02 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcatwood View Post
Don't forget that Brazil is still a poor country. They simply don't have the money to do it all at once, it takes time. Even rich countries don't have the money anymore to fix places like Detroit or some run-down suburbs of European cities.
But I guess there is a certain momentum and awareness now in Brazil, people want change and progress more than ever, they know what is important for their future. Thus the protests against the soccer championship, which is quite amazing for Brazil.

If it were not for the crime, I would not mind living in one of those modernized favelas, there is life and culture and minimalism is no problem for me.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:11 PM

Brazil is not a poor country, but its not rich either. People need to stop assuming that countries that are not rich are poor and that there's no in between. In fact, most countries in Latin America are not poor.

The technical word to describe Brazil is Upper Middle Income country, the poor countries fit in the Low Income category.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:31 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
Brazil is not a poor country, but its not rich either. People need to stop assuming that countries that are not rich are poor and that there's no in between. In fact, most countries in Latin America are not poor.

The technical word to describe Brazil is Upper Middle Income country, the poor countries fit in the Low Income category.
Relatively poor would be more correct.

But I don't think much of those technical terms, the categories are much too broad. When for instance Uruguay is in the same group (high-income) as Norway, I doubt that classification makes much sense.
I think São Paulo drives the average for Brazil up tremendously, while the country as a whole is still relatively poor. I know people in São Paulo, they would be relieved if they had what the term upper-middle income implies...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas