Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 11:09 PM

485 posts, read 2,246,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Yeah, even if you've never been there the pictures are pretty much what it looks like. Many parts of Colombia have a very "gritty" feel about them. That for me was also kind of a little charm of the place though. Hard to explain.
Wait, really? Aren't you Chilean? Where I worked, I met a lady from Chile before. She was very nice. I remember from what she told me, Chileans are not like other Latin Americans...She says they like to dress in colors like Black, Gray, White, Brown etc. I told her that in Mexico, people dress in pretty much any colors especially bright colors, since they like getting attention. She said that in Chile, people don't like to bring attention...I don't know maybe they would be more shy??

I thought that would be actually normal for you. Though I saw pics of Santiago and the buildings look very nice and new. Also, what is gritty? Is it like sad, serious and scary?? Or does it mean plain and boring and bland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 12:07 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
Wait, really? Aren't you Chilean? Where I worked, I met a lady from Chile before. She was very nice. I remember from what she told me, Chileans are not like other Latin Americans...She says they like to dress in colors like Black, Gray, White, Brown etc. I told her that in Mexico, people dress in pretty much any colors especially bright colors, since they like getting attention. She said that in Chile, people don't like to bring attention...I don't know maybe they would be more shy??

I thought that would be actually normal for you. Though I saw pics of Santiago and the buildings look very nice and new. Also, what is gritty? Is it like sad, serious and scary?? Or does it mean plain and boring and bland?
I'm an American living abroad.

I don't really know how to classify Chileans compared to other Latin Americans. I don't feel Latin Americans are any different than other people. The ones who want your money are REALLY friendly and the ones who don't care are just normal.

Everyone's idea of "the people in a country" is just a view of how they want it to be. People have no problem wearing colors, however I've never actually been to Santiago.

In terms of gritty, it has kind of a tough feeling to it. Think of a movie trying to depict New York City in the 80s. However, it's not really scary.. when you're walking around the downtown area it feels like you should be listening to heavy metal and not pop music. It's really hard for me to explain, but that's what made Bogota my favorite city.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:54 AM

346 posts, read 647,532 times
Quote:
Though other cities are catching up (such as Guadalajara), I would say for Mexico, Monterrey is the nicest looking from the ones I've seen. I kind've want to also put in Queretaro City and parts of Mexico City in there too.

For Colombia, I've heard it's Medellin and Bogota. I heard that Chilean cities are waay up there.
Sadly, Monterrey is not as well-goverened and orderly as it was 5-10 years ago, but it is still very developed.

Querétaro had the feel of a "first world city" - though I probably missed the slums. In general central Mexico, aside from the slums of Mexico City, is far from the Third World hellhole many Americans imagine all of Mexico (or Latin America) to be.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:08 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,248,887 times
Quote:
Though other cities are catching up (such as Guadalajara), I would say for Mexico, Monterrey is the nicest looking from the ones I've seen. I kind've want to also put in Queretaro City and parts of Mexico City in there too.

For Colombia, I've heard it's Medellin and Bogota. I heard that Chilean cities are waay up there.
Bogota is nice and clean in spots but it's huge and on average I would not call it a nice looking city. Architecture is not that nice.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:12 PM

4 posts, read 9,403 times
I vote for Montevideo and Porto Alegre.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTexico76 View Post
Sadly, Monterrey is not as well-goverened and orderly as it was 5-10 years ago, but it is still very developed.

Querétaro had the feel of a "first world city" - though I probably missed the slums. In general central Mexico, aside from the slums of Mexico City, is far from the Third World hellhole many Americans imagine all of Mexico (or Latin America) to be.
That's true. Actually I remember in 2005 and 2006 reading about Monterrey and in Wikipedia as well as other websites that Monterrey is not only one of the safest, cleanest, and most modern cities in Mexico but in Latin America as well. I think it scored like 2nd or 3rd place.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Bogota is nice and clean in spots but it's huge and on average I would not call it a nice looking city. Architecture is not that nice.
Why do you think the Architecture is not that nice? Is it because buildings are all pretty much the same color and shape?

Old 01-10-2014, 01:56 PM

546 posts, read 818,186 times
Medellin, Colombia

Old 01-10-2014, 05:51 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,248,887 times
Quote:
Why do you think the Architecture is not that nice? Is it because buildings are all pretty much the same color and shape?
For the most part not too many unique or nice looking buildings. A ton of brick everywhere, mostly of a bland orange/brown variety. There is some decent historic architecture in the historic district but it's also in the seedier part of Bogota which is center/center-south.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:03 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
For the most part not too many unique or nice looking buildings. A ton of brick everywhere, mostly of a bland orange/brown variety. There is some decent historic architecture in the historic district but it's also in the seedier part of Bogota which is center/center-south.

I felt really safe in La Candelaria though. I spent a lot of time around there, although I did avoid a robbery by luck. My ex gf from Medellin was afraid to even walk in La Candelaria and centro but I didn't think it was too bad. You wouldn't catch me going to South Bogota though

At the end of the day, your perceived safety and your ideas of how safe a city is, is just based on your luck. If you were like me and avoided robberies, it's great. If you were like other people, it is hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas