Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 05:19 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,423,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
Panties in a bunch?? Why are you so offended? Nothing wrong with being poor.
Nothing wrong with being poor, really? Hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Well St Lucia, and most of the rest of the Caribbean are poor. The fact that most Central American and African nations might be poorer doesn't remove that fact.
Suppose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 08:16 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,557,677 times
So far ive been here in Jamaica for 4 days, the hotel we are staying at is on the north coast of the island. Sadly I didnt get much good advice when I asked originally, but I will say its better to exchange your currency in Jamaica n not in the US, if you are comfy driving on the left side of the road with the cars that have steering wheels on the right side of the dash board, renting a vehicle would probably be cheaper than taxi cab drivers who vary on their fare prices. So far most of the people are nice, except at the airport customs, who seemed to be very annoyed with American visitors, black or white. There is this overwhelming culture were everyone wants to sell you something, especially if they hear your american voice. I think Jamaicans think all Americans are naive, they will let 4 or 5 Jamaicans walk by but when they hear American chatter they focus on it n try to sell you something. Thats been our experience so far. Its always funny when they try to talk fast to each other n my brothers n I understand every word n sentence. My mother, grandma n grandpa are Jamaican so we are way too familiar. Just looking for some fun stuff to get into now. To others who have visited what are some of the attractions you visited while here in Jamaica?

Old 07-27-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Nothing wrong with being poor, really? Hmm

Suppose
everyone cant be rich or well off. The world doesnt work that way. I thought everyone knew that.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
You will find yourself in a bunch of trouble if you go with an Ugly American attitude. People in the Caribbean will accept you as one of them, if you observe their codes of behavior.

This is way easier for a black than for white person, given the colonial histories of these places, and the fact that they detect that most whites don't really see them as anything other than vehicles for them to enjoy their vacation.

Or you can behave like a tourist, and then get treated as one, and there is a whole cultural experience that you will miss out on. Do you like people to look at you like an over size wallet just ripe for the pickings, or would you rather that they respect you as a person who they would like to get to know? They are especially interested in meeting black Americans with Caribbean backgrounds, but even those who don't have that, are also of interest.
I hear you man, its a pretty subjective take on the subject. As far as ugly american attitude...we are not Paris Hilton or Kim K types. We are not even the wannabe black hollywood types or BAPS. Most of the folks weve meet were cool. Im born in America yes, but again im familiar with some parts of the culture, just not totally familiar with the country itself. I asked some great questions orginally...I got some troll responses, soupbox replies n people guessing. Thanks for not being one of those.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:10 AM

3,898 posts, read 5,327,084 times
Quote:
So far ive been here in Jamaica for 4 days, the hotel we are staying at is on the north coast of the island. Sadly I didnt get much good advice when I asked originally, but I will say its better to exchange your currency in Jamaica n not in the US, if you are comfy driving on the left side of the road with the cars that have steering wheels on the right side of the dash board, renting a vehicle would probably be cheaper than taxi cab drivers who vary on their fare prices. So far most of the people are nice, except at the airport customs, who seemed to be very annoyed with American visitors, black or white. There is this overwhelming culture were everyone wants to sell you something, especially if they hear your american voice. I think Jamaicans think all Americans are naive, they will let 4 or 5 Jamaicans walk by but when they hear American chatter they focus on it n try to sell you something. Thats been our experience so far. Its always funny when they try to talk fast to each other n my brothers n I understand every word n sentence. My mother, grandma n grandpa are Jamaican so we are way too familiar. Just looking for some fun stuff to get into now. To others who have visited what are some of the attractions you visited while here in Jamaica?
Don't be too offended, the hustling crew in Jamaica will treat anyone that does not have a Jamaican accent the same way, not only Americans. People are nice in Jamaica, but we can also be aggressive and short with people at times as well. Its nothing personal.

You were right to change your money in JA vs. US. Also if you have a good handle of the conversion rate off the top of your head you can just pay in USD. Honestly you at times end up with a better deal if you pay in USD.

Where on the North Coast are you? If you have a rental car get out of the hotel and explore the island. Go to Port Antonio and take in the ruins. Even though its touristy, go to Duns River Falls for a few hours, no need for a guided tour just climb them yourself. Also try and visit Kingston as well. People try to stay away because of the crime, but you cant experience Jamaican culture fully unless you get into "Town". If you are into nightlife as well, try and go out, Yardies party hard. Also get some Jerk from Scotchies, real authentic Jerk that you can't get outside of Jamaica.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:31 AM

8,573 posts, read 8,589,688 times
Quote:
Sadly I didnt get much good advice when I asked originally, but I will say its better to exchange your currency in Jamaica n not in the US,?

I believe I told you exactly that, but maybe you didn't get a chance to read it. I even gave you the going exchange rate.

And yes if they think that you are a tourist you become a huge ATM to them as they assume you to be rich.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:35 AM

8,573 posts, read 8,589,688 times
Quote:
I got some troll responses, soupbox replies n people guessing. Thanks for not being one of those.

Your questions were quite valid. I just understand those who acted stupid, which is why I jumped in and made comments, and was quit frank about it. As a Caribbean person who lives in NYC I can understand both your perspective and theirs, and also the traps that you might unwittingly fall into, especially in Jamaica.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:07 PM

4 posts, read 4,303 times
Its simple, anywhere I go and see many people of my race I act like I'm from there. Don't be quick to reveal yourself to strangers. African americans fit in easily because their music and forms of dressing is very popular there

Old 09-06-2014, 05:16 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,423,814 times
Quote:
everyone cant be rich or well off. The world doesnt work that way. I thought everyone knew that.
It would be nice if it wasn't like that.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:21 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,314,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Lu View Post
Its simple, anywhere I go and see many people of my race I act like I'm from there. Don't be quick to reveal yourself to strangers. African americans fit in easily because their music and forms of dressing is very popular there
You can blend in somewhat but at some point most natives will figure it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas