Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 01:18 AM

195 posts, read 441,263 times

Advertisements

Violence here, violence there, violence everywhere. It's very dangerous do live in Oslo, or Spain, for instance, where someone can explode and kill dozens at the same time. It's dangerous to live in any American city, where someone can get a gun and go shooting and killing dozens at a school or in the streets! It's hard to l ive in Beijing with all that violent pollution! And what about Mexico with its favelas (or as they call them, ''Ciudades Perdidas'', as if by changing the name it woul be possible to diminsh their poverty!) with all those drug capos and entires states dominated by milicias? Give me a break with all these talks and poverty in Brazil. If you want to come, come, if you dont't, nice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 03:11 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antma robel View Post
Violence here, violence there, violence everywhere. It's very dangerous do live in Oslo, or Spain, for instance, where someone can explode and kill dozens at the same time. It's dangerous to live in any American city, where someone can get a gun and go shooting and killing dozens at a school or in the streets! It's hard to l ive in Beijing with all that violent pollution! And what about Mexico with its favelas (or as they call them, ''Ciudades Perdidas'', as if by changing the name it woul be possible to diminsh their poverty!) with all those drug capos and entires states dominated by milicias? Give me a break with all these talks and poverty in Brazil. If you want to come, come, if you dont't, nice!
The chances of facing crime in Brasil is quite a bit higher than in the United States, Spain or Norway. Favela is a word for Brasil, they didn't "change" the word in Mexico to make it different from Brasil.. it's just a different word. Also, I think most people in the world would rather go to Brasil than Mexico lol. Not too many people are too excited about Mexico in the recent years...

Crime in Brasil is definitely something that needs to be discussed for the average American, because we do not face those kind of problems here. It's something an American has to, and should prepare for before going to Brasil. If not, they will most likely be a victim of crime.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:38 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,433,884 times
Brazil dont worry about "bad impressions", maybe if they´re good...

Brazilians like to show what we have worst.

We like to offer favelas , mess and dirtyness and expect from foreingners to consider everything awsome and Brazil as the coolest country on Earth.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:20 AM

64 posts, read 82,991 times
What americans can expect when traveling to Brazil for the world cup:

- Very diverse country, rich culture, things to do, walkable areas everywhere, a lot of energy on the streets!
- Chaos at the airports, lines, delays, bad food, bad customer service, bad signage.
- Friendly and fun people who will be happy to help and chat with you, or at least try to speak english.
- Petty crimes, sense of fear in some areas.
- Gorgeous beaches, variety of scenery, views, and natural resources.
- Nice weather in some areas, too hot and humid in others. Hot+humid = mosquitos and bugs!
- Dirty streets, garbage, poor infrastructure.
- Great food.
- Lack of punctuality, loud people, and other behaviors that are considered rude in many other countries.
- A lot of entertainment, bars, and nightclubs that stay open all night long. A lot of 24h businesses.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:25 AM

64 posts, read 82,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
The chances of facing crime in Brasil is quite a bit higher than in the United States, Spain or Norway. Favela is a word for Brasil, they didn't "change" the word in Mexico to make it different from Brasil.. it's just a different word. Also, I think most people in the world would rather go to Brasil than Mexico lol. Not too many people are too excited about Mexico in the recent years...

Crime in Brasil is definitely something that needs to be discussed for the average American, because we do not face those kind of problems here. It's something an American has to, and should prepare for before going to Brasil. If not, they will most likely be a victim of crime.

I agree crime in Brazil should be discussed. Brazilians (and I am one) should stop thinking the level of crime is normal, and it is just like any other country. Anyone who have lived in "first world countries" knows the difference. It is just obvious.

I hate the fact that a lot of Brazilians just get used to it and don't want to face the problems to build a better place to live. They are always finding comfort comparing themselves to "worst countries" instead of looking into "better ones" and trying to head to that direction.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:21 PM

3,979 posts, read 6,788,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcatwood View Post
I agree crime in Brazil should be discussed. Brazilians (and I am one) should stop thinking the level of crime is normal, and it is just like any other country. Anyone who have lived in "first world countries" knows the difference. It is just obvious.

I hate the fact that a lot of Brazilians just get used to it and don't want to face the problems to build a better place to live. They are always finding comfort comparing themselves to "worst countries" instead of looking into "better ones" and trying to head to that direction.

Of course we have higher than desirable levels of crime in Brazil. And of course we need a serious debate in the country about our criminal law system, that is ridiculously lax.

But it's also ridiculous how some panicked Brazilians act like idiots, going to international internet forums to whine about "the horror of crime here", even when they have never personally been robbed any time in the past 15 years, but they see "the news" on TV, so they are "in panic". Some of them seems to believe that there is no crime in other countries, and never see the news about robberies to Apple stores and other stores in Paris.

The fact is that some Brazilians LOVE to discredit their own country, and they are ADDICTED to it. Some of them HATE their own people, they HATE the Brazilian people that they are part of, and they are frustrated because they weren't born in some "First World" nation. The self-hating Brazilian is an annoying individual, and they do everything they can to give a bad image of their own country to as many foreigners as they can.

The fact is: in Brazil you are relatively safe if you have some good common sense, and don't get yourself in dangerous situations. In a way, it's different of the USA, where some maniac with automatic guns can start a killing spree in any movie theater or shopping mall. In Brazil, it's extremely unlikely that you're going to be shot by some psychopath with an AR-15 in your school, college, workplace, or even in the middle of the street, as we see happening in the USA every year. In the USA, there is the "surprise factor", in Brazil the "surprise factor" is not that big, since you know what places and situations you should avoid to lower your chances of getting shot or robbed.

The same reasoning is valid for countries in the Middle East where car-bombs go off every month. There is the "surprise factor", and you never know when and where a terrorist bomb is going to blow.

In Brazil, of course you can be surprised by an unexpected robbery, but it's relatively easy - if you have some good common sense - to avoid dangerous situations and lower your chances of getting in trouble.

The fact is: MILLIONS of foreign tourists visit Brazil EVERY YEAR, and 99% of them don't get robbed, or shot, or anything like that. So, anyone who avoid to visit Brazil based on fear of being victim of crime, is making a very bad decision, and will prevent himself from having very nice experiences just based on irrational fear.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:41 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Of course we have higher than desirable levels of crime in Brazil. And of course we need a serious debate in the country about our criminal law system, that is ridiculously lax.

But it's also ridiculous how some panicked Brazilians act like idiots, going to international internet forums to whine about "the horror of crime here", even when they have never personally been robbed any time in the past 15 years, but they see "the news" on TV, so they are "in panic". Some of them seems to believe that there is no crime in other countries, and never see the news about robberies to Apple stores and other stores in Paris.

The fact is that some Brazilians LOVE to discredit their own country, and they are ADDICTED to it. Some of them HATE their own people, they HATE the Brazilian people that they are part of, and they are frustrated because they weren't born in some "First World" nation. The self-hating Brazilian is an annoying individual, and they do everything they can to give a bad image of their own country to as many foreigners as they can.

The fact is: in Brazil you are relatively safe if you have some good common sense, and don't get yourself in dangerous situations. In a way, it's different of the USA, where some maniac with automatic guns can start a killing spree in any movie theater or shopping mall. In Brazil, it's extremely unlikely that you're going to be shot by some psychopath with an AR-15 in your school, college, workplace, or even in the middle of the street, as we see happening in the USA every year. In the USA, there is the "surprise factor", in Brazil the "surprise factor" is not that big, since you know what places and situations you should avoid to lower your chances of getting shot or robbed.

The same reasoning is valid for countries in the Middle East where car-bombs go off every month. There is the "surprise factor", and you never know when and where a terrorist bomb is going to blow.

In Brazil, of course you can be surprised by an unexpected robbery, but it's relatively easy - if you have some good common sense - to avoid dangerous situations and lower your chances of getting in trouble.

The fact is: MILLIONS of foreign tourists visit Brazil EVERY YEAR, and 99% of them don't get robbed, or shot, or anything like that. So, anyone who avoid to visit Brazil based on fear of being victim of crime, is making a very bad decision, and will prevent himself from having very nice experiences just based on irrational fear.

You bring up a lot of good points here. I have noticed a lot of Brasilians that are overly negative about Brasil. I work with many, and honestly I do admit that many are overly pessimistic. I could also see why Brasilians could get defensive about the crime, mainly because I'm American. The crime in Brasil discussion probably gets as old as Americans listening to Europeans talk about George Bush.

I think it's good for Americans to go down to Brasil educated and knowing what they're getting into. There are higher precautions that need to be taken. Hell, there are higher precautions that need to be taken in Europe! We don't see a lot of petty crime, and oftentimes we're naive to many things while abroad because we just don't see it in our daily lives. However, chances are if you take a 1-3 week vacation in Brasil, play it smart and don't go where you shouldn't go then you will probably come out just fine.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:25 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,792,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antma robel View Post
What are you talking about in regards to Mexico 'changing' the name of favelas? That word doesn't exist in Spanish and ciudades perdidas is not a positive term- lost cities.

Also, I have been a victim of crime in Brazil. I was assaulted in Rio. Luckily, they were kids who just stole our electronics but people DO need to be careful. My niece was just robbed 2 months ago in Sao Paulo. Most of my family in Porto Alegre has had cars stolen at gunpoint.

The violence in Brazil is a problem and there is nothing wrong with telling people to be careful and to be aware. I know it is a big country and the level of safety differs in different areas, but people need to be careful. I don't like living my life paranoid but that is the reality.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:40 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,968,692 times
Quote:
Hell, there are higher precautions that need to be taken in Europe! We don't see a lot of petty crime, and oftentimes we're naive to many things while abroad because we just don't see it in our daily lives. However, chances are if you take a 1-3 week vacation in Brasil, play it smart and don't go where you shouldn't go then you will probably come out just fine.
Exactly.

I was pickpocketed in a metro station in Paris, never in the US or South America. The perpetrators were a group of children.

This is what I should have read:
"In Paris, pickpockets are commonly children under the age of 16 because they are difficult to prosecute. Pickpockets are very active on the rail link (RER B) from Charles de Gaulle Airport to the city center. "
Tips for Traveling Safely Abroad | Embassy of the United States Paris, France

People need to be careful and listen to the locals and read about local crime before they travel. The last thing you want to do is spend a whole afternoon filling out a police report in a laguage you don't speak. It was not fun.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:56 AM

195 posts, read 441,263 times
Quote:

Oh yes...We watched Pennsylvania on TV yesterday...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas