Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 07:59 AM

195 posts, read 441,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
What are you talking about in regards to Mexico 'changing' the name of favelas? That word doesn't exist in Spanish and ciudades perdidas is not a positive term- lost cities.

Also, I have been a victim of crime in Brazil. I was assaulted in Rio. Luckily, they were kids who just stole our electronics but people DO need to be careful. My niece was just robbed 2 months ago in Sao Paulo. Most of my family in Porto Alegre has had cars stolen at gunpoint.

The violence in Brazil is a problem and there is nothing wrong with telling people to be careful and to be aware. I know it is a big country and the level of safety differs in different areas, but people need to be careful. I don't like living my life paranoid but that is the reality.
As anyone can be very careful by visiting México. The violence in México is something next to Dante inferno as a matter of fact. Of course you need to read news site like ''El Pais.com'' to know the truth about what is happening there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 09:40 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antma robel View Post
As anyone can be very careful by visiting México. The violence in México is something next to Dante inferno as a matter of fact. Of course you need to read news site like ''El Pais.com'' to know the truth about what is happening there...
I'm pretty sure the violence in Mexico is covered by every news source out there. I don't think anyone is trying to cover it up, if anything they go overboard in talking about the violence in Mexico.

What points are you even trying to make?

Old 04-10-2014, 12:26 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
antma robel seems to have an issue with Mexicans.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:48 PM

64 posts, read 83,045 times
Pretty funny!

This news from TODAY translates well how crime is at the moment in Brazil: http://www.npr.org/blogs/parallels/2014/04/10/301414958/live-on-brazilian-tv-woman-talking-about-crime-gets-attacked

Some are going to call me a self-hating Brazilian, lol.
I am just glad circumstances took me to another country and I have now a much better quality of life.
To live your day-a-day spending a lot of energy watching out for your belongings, protecting yourself, is just not what life should be.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
antma robel seems to have an issue with Mexicans.
hahahahahahah, you make me laugh, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcatwood View Post
Pretty funny!

This news from TODAY translates well how crime is at the moment in Brazil: http://www.npr.org/blogs/parallels/2014/04/10/301414958/live-on-brazilian-tv-woman-talking-about-crime-gets-attacked

I am just glad circumstances took me to another country and I have now a much better quality of life.
To live your day-a-day spending a lot of energy watching out for your belongings, protecting yourself, is just not what life should be.
Pretty funny indeed

I suggest you to take a look on this page (it's in Portuguese, but I suppose this information is everywhere on the internet)

This is the rank of homicides in Latin America...

1. Honduras 90,4
2. Venezuela 53,7
3. El Salvador 41,2
4. Guatemala 39,9
5. Colômbia 30,8
6. Porto Rico 26,5
7. Brasil 25,2
9. México 21,5
15. Paraguai 9,7
18. Uruguai 7,9
19. Argentina (2010) 5,5
21. Chile 3,1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/portuguese/noti...o_onu_mm.shtml

Frankly, I cannot see the big difference. Sorry.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
hahahahahahah, you make me laugh, really.

Pretty funny indeed

I suggest you to take a look on this page (it's in Portuguese, but I suppose this information is everywhere on the internet)

This is the rank of homicides in Latin America...

1. Honduras 90,4
2. Venezuela 53,7
3. El Salvador 41,2
4. Guatemala 39,9
5. Colômbia 30,8
6. Porto Rico 26,5
7. Brasil 25,2
9. México 21,5
15. Paraguai 9,7
18. Uruguai 7,9
19. Argentina (2010) 5,5
21. Chile 3,1

ONU: Países da América Latina lideram índice de homicídios no mundo - BBC Brasil - Notícias

Frankly, I cannot see the big difference. Sorry.

What's your issue with Mexico dude? This thread was not started to compare Brasil to Mexico. No one cares except you. You kind of look like you have some sort of mental issue or something. Regardless, Mexico isn't exactly a safe place.. so in reality you're only proving the thread's point about crime in Brasil being an problem.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
What's your issue with Mexico dude? This thread was not started to compare Brasil to Mexico. No one cares except you. You kind of look like you have some sort of mental issue or something. Regardless, Mexico isn't exactly a safe place.. so in reality you're only proving the thread's point about crime in Brasil being an problem.
Erhhh....No problem at all. Just comparing violence rate. Any problem?

Old 04-10-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Erhhh....No problem at all. Just comparing violence rate. Any problem?
Kind of, because it doesn't make any sense why you're comparing the two. Not that it's a real problem, it just seems kind of dumb/pointless.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Kind of, because it doesn't make any sense why you're comparing the two. Not that it's a real problem, it just seems kind of dumb/pointless.
If I am not wrong this is how this started, on the second page of this thread...

Violence here, violence there, violence everywhere. It's very dangerous do live in Oslo, or Spain, for instance, where someone can explode and kill dozens at the same time. It's dangerous to live in any American city, where someone can get a gun and go shooting and killing dozens at a school or in the streets! It's hard to l ive in Beijing with all that violent pollution! And what about Mexico with its favelas (or as they call them, ''Ciudades Perdidas'', as if by changing the name it woul be possible to diminsh their poverty!) with all those drug capos and entires states dominated by milicias? Give me a break with all these talks and poverty in Brazil. If you want to come, come, if you dont't, nice!

... There is more than México there...

Old 04-11-2014, 07:27 AM

3,987 posts, read 6,793,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcatwood View Post
Pretty funny!

Well, I don't spend a lot of my energy "watching out for my belongings and protecting myself", and nothing bad happens to me. So, I'm very happy here.

The news that you showed in any way "translates well" how crime is in Brazil. It's very far from "translating well" anything.

And I have serious doubt if it wasn't a setup of Rede Globo, with political intentions. We can expect anything from a TV network that admitted to have edited and manipulated the tape of a debate between presidential candidates in the 1989 elections. We are now in election year in Brazil, so expect ANYTHING.

By the way, I think it was a bad idea to have a World Cup in Brazil in the year of presidential elections, because it would attract every kind of sabotage from the opposition, that doesn't care about their own country, but only care about seizing power back. But there was little room for option, since Brazilian presidential elections and World Cups happen every 4 years, and are always in the same year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas