Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2014, 02:43 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times

Advertisements

Anybody have any experience traveling around Brazil? Looking at the State Department's country information on Brazil, they make it sound like visiting Brazil is like dodging mines in a field. Also, anybody been to anywhere that is NOT São Paulo or Rio de Janeiro?

Also, what's the deal with all the high rises in the more populated cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 09:04 AM

844 posts, read 1,063,055 times
Even small cities have their share of higrises.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:57 AM

3,977 posts, read 6,781,141 times
Over 6 million foreign tourists visited Brazil in the year of 2013.

95% of them felt very happy about their visit, and will probably come back.

That's all that is needed to be said.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:04 PM

And about the question "what is there to see in Brazil outside of São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro", well, I will show a video to present to you this tiny part of Brazil shown in the map bellow:

The touristic route inside the area limited by the red lines above is called "Rota das Emoções" (Route of the Emotions).

This 10 minute video presents the area:

In fact, the video doesn't show even 30% of the real beauty of those places, but it's a start...

Well, and see that city called Parnaíba, in the middle of the route? When you get there, if you want to make a pause in all the sunbathing and go for some shopping in a modern shopping mall with air conditioning, you can make a stop at the newly opened Parnaíba Shopping:

By the way, just a little to the south of the "Rota das Emoções", there are the highlands of Ibiapaba (just look for the towns of Viçosa do Ceara and Tiangua in the map above). Attractions include the Ubajara National Park, that has typical atlantic forest, streams, waterfalls and caves with rocky formations:

Old 03-24-2014, 01:12 PM

256 posts, read 572,753 times
I traveled to Brazil (and Argentina and Uruguay) last month. I am a big fan. Never felt unsafe once. Though I was only in Rio and Sao Paulo. Very affordable for Americans right now as well- the only pain is the visa. Food is great, people are friendly, Rio is insanely beautiful. You may have trouble outside of hotels, high class tourist restaurants and touristy spots if you only speak English. If you speak Portuguese you'll be great and Spanish you'll get by but just English may be a problem.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:34 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletKnightJet View Post
I traveled to Brazil (and Argentina and Uruguay) last month. I am a big fan. Never felt unsafe once. Though I was only in Rio and Sao Paulo. Very affordable for Americans right now as well- the only pain is the visa. Food is great, people are friendly, Rio is insanely beautiful. You may have trouble outside of hotels, high class tourist restaurants and touristy spots if you only speak English. If you speak Portuguese you'll be great and Spanish you'll get by but just English may be a problem.
I don't know any Portuguese besides não, sim, and (muito) obrigado lol. Spanish is my native language though so I probably wouldn't have issue reading signs since our languages are so similar when written down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
And about the question "what is there to see in Brazil outside of São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro", well, I will show a video to present to you this tiny part of Brazil shown in the map bellow:

The touristic route inside the area limited by the red lines above is called "Rota das Emoções" (Route of the Emotions).

This 10 minute video presents the area:

In fact, the video doesn't show even 30% of the real beauty of those places, but it's a start...

Well, and see that city called Parnaíba, in the middle of the route? When you get there, if you want to make a pause in all the sunbathing and go for some shopping in a modern shopping mall with air conditioning, you can make a stop at the newly opened Parnaíba Shopping:

By the way, just a little to the south of the "Rota das Emoções", there are the highlands of Ibiapaba (just look for the towns of Viçosa do Ceara and Tiangua in the map above). Attractions include the Ubajara National Park, that has typical atlantic forest, streams, waterfalls and caves with rocky formations:

That looks pretty nice. What kind of clientele shop at that mall? How accessible is it for the average person earning an average income?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Over 6 million foreign tourists visited Brazil in the year of 2013.

95% of them felt very happy about their visit, and will probably come back.

That's all that is needed to be said.
So where are most of the trouble spots and activities? Like in Puerto Rico, it's the nightclub areas of San Juan are the trouble spots where tourists frequently and traffic intersections at night where you could get carjacked or mugged when stopped at a red light late at night. I'm not a nightclub or bar person, and most Latinos say I look like a white person from Colombia or Paraguay, so I wouldn't stand out too much in terms of getting pickpocketed or ripped off?

Old 03-24-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
That looks pretty nice. What kind of clientele shop at that mall? How accessible is it for the average person earning an average income?

So where are most of the trouble spots and activities? Like in Puerto Rico, it's the nightclub areas of San Juan are the trouble spots where tourists frequently and traffic intersections at night where you could get carjacked or mugged when stopped at a red light late at night. I'm not a nightclub or bar person, and most Latinos say I look like a white person from Colombia or Paraguay, so I wouldn't stand out too much in terms of getting pickpocketed or ripped off?
Shopping malls in Brazil are mostly accessible for more than 80% of the population. No wonder they are mostly packed at the weekends. The woman who works as a housemaid in my aunt's house loves to go to shopping malls with her daughter, she goes almost every weekend, by bus (she doesn't have a car). Some malls have shops of more expensive brands than others, but, in general, they are accessible for the average Brazilian.

In the case of Parnaiba Shopping, I'm sure it's accessible for the huge majority of people. Don't get scared by the guys in suits in the video, that was just the ceremony for the opening of the mall, one month ago! It's the first real shopping mall in Parnaíba, a city of 145,000 inhabitants, so, well, it was kind of a big event for the city! But they're starting to get used to it, because the second mall in the city will open later this year.

The "trouble spots" depends on each city. The general advice for foreigners who are first time visitors is: don't go to non-touristic areas alone. Only go to places out of the touristic areas if you are accompanied by someone who knows the place.

It doesn't mean that if you insist in going to non-touristic areas alone you are 100% surely doomed to be mugged or something like that. Most probably, nothing would happen to you. But it's better not to take any chances, since a foreigner who doesn't know the place is a more vulnerable target. So, as a precaution, stay in the touristic areas, unless you are accompanied by someone who is trustworthy and knows the place.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:18 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,432,703 times
I think in a country like Brazil that is not "touristic", it's always nice to take a package that include tranfers from/to the airports and stay in more "touristic" hotels where the staff (generally just one or two of then) can help you in english. Its also important to always have a "Plan B" because some atractions may be not in good conditions, as the weather, etc With basic precautions, its a very interesting country.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:53 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,318 times
I've been 3 times. Don't be flashy with your electronics. Use common sense, dress sensible and simple.

It doesn't matter what you like, they know you are a tourist by the way you move around and act. Brazil is very diverse in the looks department so no one really stands out based on looks.

You will have a great time, Brazil is one of the best countries IMO. Super friendly people, amazing culture and good food!

Old 03-27-2014, 10:04 AM

2 posts, read 2,890 times
Yep, Brazil really isn't particularly unsafe. In fact as far as crime goes, I think the biggest worry is more likely to be card fraud rather than anything violent - don't get me wrong, that's a pain too, but I think this perception that you're going to be held up and robbed the moment you set foot in Brazil is just a bit over the top.

There are some great places to visit outside of Rio and Sao Paulo. I think Iguazu Falls has to be at the top of any list, but Lencois maranhenses is amazing too, as is the Chapada Diamantina if you like trekking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas