Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 10:49 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,550,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Many darker Dominicans when they come here to the U.S often get grouped with AA. Many Dominicans don't like this or reject it. Which in many aspects is normal considering DR has a totally different culture and views race through a completely different prism than here in the U.S. An AA attacking this lacks a broader perspective.

When light skinned Dominicans get grouped with white Americans, does it create the same degree of discussion?

Just checking. Because I am not sure that a "black" Dominican also doesn't have a hysterical condition if mistaken for being a West Indian or especially a Haitian. I mean I called one of mixed ancestry a mulato and he had a serious issue, screaming that he is "Indio". This after admitting that he had some "slave" ancestry.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:10 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,393,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
When light skinned Dominicans get grouped with white Americans, does it create the same degree of discussion?

Just checking. Because I am not sure that a "black" Dominican also doesn't have a hysterical condition if mistaken for being a West Indian or especially a Haitian. I mean I called one of mixed ancestry a mulato and he had a serious issue, screaming that he is "Indio". This after admitting that he had some "slave" ancestry.
Wow "slave ancestry" that's really well, rude and demeaning couldn't he/she just say African?

Anyway I feel alot of those Latin American countries have higher than average black self hate.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:32 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,714,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillystress215 View Post
Why this subject comes up so much I don't know. I doubt if Black Americans really care what you call yourselves? Sound like your trolling to me.
THis subject thread is like a dripping faucet (without calling a plummero) they just go on and on and...on and on...anddddoooooonnnnnn.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:44 PM

10,136 posts, read 15,018,984 times
By the way, don't forget to vote and check who has voted: https://www.city-data.com/forum/ameri...-have-you.html

Its always nice to know who experiences the countries they like to talk about, even though that doesn't mean a person truly knows a place because people can technically 'visit' a country when in reality all they did was stay in an all-inclusive resort for 4 days. LOL

I think of the all the people that have commented in this thread, a tiny tiny tiny tiny minority is truly acquainted with Dominicans. Everyone else is probably going by what they hear/read, or experience from Dominican-Americans, which is fine just but not quite enough to be authoritative about this topic, IMO.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:11 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,257,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
THis subject thread is like a dripping faucet (without calling a plummero) they just go on and on and...on and on...anddddoooooonnnnnn.
Seriously...

Old 05-19-2014, 08:12 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,257,592 times
Quote:

Of course not. There's this thing called "white privilege."

Old 05-19-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny
I have yet to see white Americans claiming white Dominicans, if anything people are suspect due to possible mixture in their blood. That's how many white Latin Americans are treated or at least looked upon in the USA. Even the US Census separates white Latin Americans from other whites. Look at the threads created in this forum. Not one was created by a white American trying to claim Dominicans or to put it another way, if it was up to white Americans then there would be no Dominican-centered threads. And the people badmouthing Dominicans in these threads for the most part are not white.

Many white Dominicans DO complain that outside the DR, especially in the USA, many people put in question their Dominicaness simply because they are not people of color. Some are down right angry about this and are resentful towards US society, often time degrading how race divides the USA and how there's food for one 'racial group' and food for another, music by one and another by another, etc; and then they present the single Dominican culture shared by all Dominicans are something superior to US American culture precisely because its not divided along racial lines. They even exalt the fact that some non-whites are part of their families too and present this as proof of the 'superior' nature of Dominican culture. This is all a reaction towards having their identity put in question simply because of the way they look. One would think that automatically not being associated to a country with a mulatto majority but rather assumed to be one more white American or white from some other country would be seen in good light, yet for the most part the opposite is true.

If one thing applies to all Dominicans is that they hate it when people put in question their 'Dominicaness' and in the USA terms such as white (alone), black or African-American and all other terms are not just racial, they are also culturally charged. Foreigners react to the culture part of them. Happens with African immigrants, people from other parts of the Caribbean, and from other areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny
Indio is mostly a skin color down there, even though even some white Dominicans are considered Indio too in certain parts of the interior. For the most part it takes the position of mulatto, because this latter word can be offensive. Its similar to black which in Spanish is negro. There are ways of calling a person negro that is offensive, akin to calling someone n*gger in the USA as oppose to just black. To avoid any possible misunderstanding people use moreno more often. Down there moreno means black but it doesn't have two meanings with one that can be very offensive. Prieto is another one that means black and can be offensive in a subtle way or not, to avoid any misunderstanding or if a person is not well acquainted with another one, they will simply use moreno instead. Better to be safe than sorry. lol

Last edited by AntonioR; 05-19-2014 at 10:58 AM..

Old 05-19-2014, 11:42 AM

251 posts, read 638,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Many darker Dominicans when they come here to the U.S often get grouped with AA. Many Dominicans don't like this or reject it. Which in many aspects is normal considering DR has a totally different culture and views race through a completely different prism than here in the U.S. An AA attacking this lacks a broader perspective.
Keep This in mind: WE NEVER ASK YOU TO COME HERE. You can always stay in your own country n and call yourselves ANYTHING you want to. But to come and disrespect us and our struggle is dead wrong and will lead to NOTHING but conflict.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:

Good thing I don't like to generalize, but...

Lets look at the bright side. They both live in NYC and that makes it easier to meet.

Quote:
Keep This in mind: WE NEVER ASK YOU TO COME HERE. You can always stay in your own country n and call yourselves ANYTHING you want to. But to come and disrespect us and our struggle is dead wrong and will lead to NOTHING but conflict.
This is the first time I read someone claim that because a certain group cling to their cultural identity, that that is disrespecting another cultural group.

If that is the case, then you are going to have a lot of conflicts:

A lot of cultures are represented in the African migrant communities. I guess that means a lot of conflicts for you and hopefully just for you phillystress. lol

Old 05-19-2014, 06:23 PM

728 posts, read 976,730 times
Quote:

In my experience, Dominicans with Haitian ancestry do admit it. I have a friend who begrudgingly concedes that his grandmother was half Haitian. To your point though, he looks white Puerto Rican; like 100%. He still talks plenty of smack about Haitians but it's never malicious.

Also I don't know about other areas but within the Boston metro, wherever you find a Haitian community; you'll more than likely find a good number of Dominicans as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.