Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 07:06 PM

758 posts, read 1,229,698 times

Advertisements

I can't get over the guys wearing the Nazi signs..The second guy is probably a mental patient...but the cab driver???..

Ok, I get the concept of free speech (they all revert to that excuse when called-out on something)...I agree that is not the
most politically correct thing to do...but is this guy only believing what he read on a website??...Does he intend to physically
attend a Nazi Party meeting?

I remember seeing another picture of Dominicans in Klan costumes...are some of these people THAT IGNORANT of the history
of how these organizations were founded?...Have they ever connected the dots as to how they are seen in the worldview of
these organizations???...He needs to read "The Isis Papers"...

Old 05-20-2014, 07:45 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,694,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
I can't get over the guys wearing the Nazi signs..The second guy is probably a mental patient...but the cab driver???..

Ok, I get the concept of free speech (they all revert to that excuse when called-out on something)...I agree that is not the most politically correct thing to do...but is this guy only believing what he
read on a website??...Does he intend to physically attend a Nazi Party meeting?
I would pay - handsomely - to witness that.

Quote:

I remember seeing another picture of Dominicans in Klan costumes...are some
of these people THAT IGNORANT of the history

of how these organizations were founded?...Have they ever connected the dots
as to how they are seen in the worldview of

these organizations???...He needs to read "The Isis Papers"...
Some of these folks need serious mental help. The cognitive dissonance and delusion is at an astronomical level.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:08 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,265,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillystress215 View Post
Keep This in mind: WE NEVER ASK YOU TO COME HERE. You can always stay in your own country n and call yourselves ANYTHING you want to. But to come and disrespect us and our struggle is dead wrong and will lead to NOTHING but conflict.
Your a bit defensive aren't you?

Old 05-20-2014, 06:19 PM

10,174 posts, read 15,052,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
In my experience, Dominicans with Haitian ancestry do admit it. I have a friend who begrudgingly concedes that his grandmother was half Haitian. To your point though, he looks white Puerto Rican; like 100%. He still talks plenty of smack about Haitians but it's never malicious.
That has been my experience too.

People need to understand that Dominican-Haitian relations has been rocky practically since before there was an Haiti and a Dominican Republic. What happened from 1801 to 1856 with 8 mostly armed and bloody Haitian military invasions against the Dominicans and constant back and forth bickering since then that has kept much of those initial wounds in many cases still fresh can't be ignored or side brushed.

Very few countries spent so much time defending its integrity and right to exist as a nation with its own traditions and habits as the Dominicans did. Most of the wars and battles the Dominicans and Haitians have had was mostly due to Haitian aggression that threatened the survival of the Dominicans. And in most battles Haitians outnumbered Dominicans by as much as 5-to-1, with Haitians having upon their arsenal all the weapons left by the French while Dominicans mostly fought with machete on hand. The fact that Haiti supported the independence movement of almost every country in this hemisphere except the USA (because the USA became independent 28 years before Haiti) and the DR (and this one is the only country that suffered full fledged Haitian aggression for decades) should be a hint to everyone.

I think now is when the two countries have become much more cordial with each other in centuries. (see pages 11-13: http://csis.org/files/publication/11...sponse_WEB.pdf)

From the mid-1800s to practically the first third of the 20th century boats and ships with Haitian flags were forbidden on Dominican ports and Dominican boats and ships were forbidden on Haitian ports. Had it not been for US intervention, the DR and Haiti were going to war (again) in 1912 (see here: Santo Domingo wants loan to fight Haiti). In 1871 the American Commissioner Samuel Hazard, who visited both the DR and Haiti, in his book Santo Domingo Past and Present with a glance at Haiti said this:

"[Dominicans] gave me some amusing accounts of their fights with the Haitians, and seem to hold them in great contempt, as the Dominicans did not hesitate to attack with the odds against them of sometimes five to one. At the time I considered this as braggadocio, but I was credibly informed by the Haitian generals this was absolutely the fact...”

He also said this:

“...Although no open war is declared between Dominican Republic and Haiti, yet such are the relations existing between them, that no vessel is cleared from the ports of one to those of the other...”

And this:

"...[The Haitians] dreaded the machete of Dominican soldiers, a sort of sword with which all Dominicans of the lower ranks are armed, whether they are soldiers or civilians.”

A few years before Samuel Hazard's visit the French Consul in Haiti, Andrew Levasseur, said this in his 1843 letter:

"I occupied, since less than a year, the position that in 1838 the [French] king confided in me, and by that time I was already convinced that the population of the eastern part of Haiti was fully upset with everything that had to do with president Boyer’s administration, and also that the most eminent and lucid men of that population caressed the dream to return the Spanish nationality to their province as its forced union with the former French part of Haiti became less consistent...”

And this:

“From the first months of 1842, the inhabitants of the eastern part were fatigued by the brutality of their black chiefs or magistrates, who were imposed on them by force, and indignant due to the audacity and imprudence that Boyer’s administration hurt their most intimate sentiments and most valuable interests, attacking their properties, their organization and the dignity of their clergy; that they were seriously contemplating putting an end to a yoke that had become intolerable.”

In another letter also in 1843 Levasseur said this:

“You are aware, Mr. Minister, the condition that the spirit of the inhabitants of the former Spanish part are in. I think I have sufficiently shown you the desire of all of them to separate from the French part and constitute into an independent republic or to return to Spain.”

And this:

“Santo Domingo, that dethroned queen, in another time had a bishop, a seminary and a theological university. The [Haitian] Republic has taken everything away from her, and has destroyed everything, and the Spaniards still lament the loss of their sacred monuments...”

Many years before all of that, the Dominican population, both the white and much of the mulattoes, suffered some consequences from the Haitian Revolution that took place in Haiti and for a time spilled over to the eastern part as the Haitian troops lead by Jean Jacques Dessalines and Henry Christophe penetrated what is now Dominican territory. Gaspar Arredondo Pichardo, an eyewitness Dominican to the widespread devastation that the Haitian troops committed against every Dominican town and rural areas they passed through, said this:

"…us northerners were beginning to see the migrants from the south arriving into our territory; they were filled with ulcers, begging for their own survival, some were crying and lamenting the ruin of their families, all of them were scared of the events they witnessed and suffered, with the characteristic signs of their suffering and the announcement or the prognostication of what awaited us."

And this:

"Not long after his death, the cadaver of our Commanding Officer [the Spanish mulatto Jose Serapio Reynoso) was hardly recognizable because the blood and the dust covered him that only because of his clothes we knew he was one of us, in effect that every time a Haitian walked by the cadaver they would hit it with their sables or the bayonet as if they were afraid he would resurrect, and with this brutal action it was clear the spirit of vengeance that dominated the Haitians."

And this:

"I was told by the Sexton of Moca of the lengthy conference that the priest of Santiago had with Henry Christophe (the Haitian leader of the part of the Haitian army that invaded through the north), after having been place at hte head of a line of men and women, all lined with their backs facing the edge of the hillside on the banks of the river, all condemned to the sword with a single signal from the Haitian chief... who approached them with a dagger on his hand and insulting them with the most vulgar manner. Everything changed when Campos Taváres arrived, finally achieving that all the Spanish people of color about to be slaughtered to be given their liberty and the priest was held as a prisoner."

And this:

"...all the population and towns along the way the Haitian troops reduced to ashes, destroying even the holy altars. The priests that were encountered were all made prisoners and then sacrificed, forcing the ones that were left alive to march to Guarico (modern Cap Haitien), NOT EVEN THE PEOPLE OF COLOR WERE EXCEMPT FROM THIS... many dying due to hunger and thirst a long the way they were forced to march to the French part barefoot and without hats..."

And this:

"In addition to all the sacrifices and humiliations we were put through, it was prohibited even for the free people of color that voluntarily wanted to emigrate or didn’t want to separate themselves from those with whom they had spent their youth with. The Haitians prohibited this with the death penalty and it was a way to find motives to harass the population."

And this:

"Among those forced to march to the French part by the Haitians was our old vicar Mr. Pedro Taváres, a man in his 80’s of an exemplar virtue; the woman Francisca Hurtado, of the same age; THE HONORABLE BLACK JULIÁN DE MEDINA, his old wife, both parents of Felipa; his daughters Zeferina, Florentina and Gregoria, Maria and Nicolaza, sisters of this one; all had the same fate, although the last two escaped and return to Santiago and because of them we knew of the cruel end to so many wretch people..."

And this:

"The well known by all of us MULATTO TAILOR Fernando Pimentel, who had not yet swallowed the Holy Eucharist, when he was beating to death with a bayonet and was left laying next to the door of the sanctuary. Whomever managed to escape the massacre within the church was later killed at the hands of those Caribs (the army lead by Henry Christophe) that swept through Santiago and didn’t forgive a single life wherever they found it."

Bottom line: Dominican-Haitian relations are complex, very very old, mostly tragic, and much of a century based on Dominican survival against a vengeful neighbor with expansionist tendencies. Since then the back and forth has not been as severe, but maintains a certain distrust between the two countries mostly because neither of the two want to accept what they did wrong to the other party but they want the other party to feel sorry for what they did. A large percentage of Dominicans are direct descendants of the people that suffered Haiti's wrath in the 1800's and certain attitudes are passed down from one generation to another simply because it forms part of their family history and then it gets reinforced in school because those events are also part of the national history. Most Haitians, though, don't descend from people that suffered any wrath from Dominicans. That's the gist of it.

For this reason I say that it's a miracle how much cooperation exist now, because for most of the last 2 centuries or so it has been anything but that! lol

To sum it up: Dominicans are the only people in America, and probably in the world, that were oppressed and had their survival seriously in danger by black people, essentially Haitians. Its the biggest paradox that exist. The Haitians, who were oppressed by the French, later on became the oppressors of their neighbors. A lot of people like to ignore this detail and yet, its so fundamental.

Last edited by AntonioR; 05-20-2014 at 06:30 PM..

Old 05-20-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
That has been my experience too.

People need to understand that Dominican-Haitian relations has been rocky practically since before there was an Haiti and a Dominican Republic. What happened from 1801 to 1856 with 8 mostly armed and bloody Haitian military invasions against the Dominicans and constant back and forth bickering since then that has kept much of those initial wounds in many cases still fresh can't be ignored or side brushed.

Very few countries spent so much time defending its integrity and right to exist as a nation with its own traditions and habits as the Dominicans did. Most of the wars and battles the Dominicans and Haitians have had was mostly due to Haitian aggression that threatened the survival of the Dominicans. And in most battles Haitians outnumbered Dominicans by as much as 5-to-1, with Haitians having upon their arsenal all the weapons left by the French while Dominicans mostly fought with machete on hand. The fact that Haiti supported the independence movement of almost every country in this hemisphere except the USA (because the USA became independent 28 years before Haiti) and the DR (and this one is the only country that suffered full fledged Haitian aggression for decades) should be a hint to everyone.

I think now is when the two countries have become much more cordial with each other in centuries. (see pages 11-13: http://csis.org/files/publication/11...sponse_WEB.pdf)

From the mid-1800s to practically the first third of the 20th century boats and ships with Haitian flags were forbidden on Dominican ports and Dominican boats and ships were forbidden on Haitian ports. Had it not been for US intervention, the DR and Haiti were going to war (again) in 1912 (see here: Santo Domingo wants loan to fight Haiti). In 1871 the American Commissioner Samuel Hazard, who visited both the DR and Haiti, in his book Santo Domingo Past and Present with a glance at Haiti said this:

"[Dominicans] gave me some amusing accounts of their fights with the Haitians, and seem to hold them in great contempt, as the Dominicans did not hesitate to attack with the odds against them of sometimes five to one. At the time I considered this as braggadocio, but I was credibly informed by the Haitian generals this was absolutely the fact...”

He also said this:

“...Although no open war is declared between Dominican Republic and Haiti, yet such are the relations existing between them, that no vessel is cleared from the ports of one to those of the other...”

And this:

"...[The Haitians] dreaded the machete of Dominican soldiers, a sort of sword with which all Dominicans of the lower ranks are armed, whether they are soldiers or civilians.”

A few years before Samuel Hazard's visit the French Consul in Haiti, Andrew Levasseur, said this in his 1843 letter:

"I occupied, since less than a year, the position that in 1838 the [French] king confided in me, and by that time I was already convinced that the population of the eastern part of Haiti was fully upset with everything that had to do with president Boyer’s administration, and also that the most eminent and lucid men of that population caressed the dream to return the Spanish nationality to their province as its forced union with the former French part of Haiti became less consistent...”

And this:

“From the first months of 1842, the inhabitants of the eastern part were fatigued by the brutality of their black chiefs or magistrates, who were imposed on them by force, and indignant due to the audacity and imprudence that Boyer’s administration hurt their most intimate sentiments and most valuable interests, attacking their properties, their organization and the dignity of their clergy; that they were seriously contemplating putting an end to a yoke that had become intolerable.”

In another letter also in 1843 Levasseur said this:

“You are aware, Mr. Minister, the condition that the spirit of the inhabitants of the former Spanish part are in. I think I have sufficiently shown you the desire of all of them to separate from the French part and constitute into an independent republic or to return to Spain.”

And this:

“Santo Domingo, that dethroned queen, in another time had a bishop, a seminary and a theological university. The [Haitian] Republic has taken everything away from her, and has destroyed everything, and the Spaniards still lament the loss of their sacred monuments...”

Many years before all of that, the Dominican population, both the white and much of the mulattoes, suffered some consequences from the Haitian Revolution that took place in Haiti and for a time spilled over to the eastern part as the Haitian troops lead by Jean Jacques Dessalines and Henry Christophe penetrated what is now Dominican territory. Gaspar Arredondo Pichardo, an eyewitness Dominican to the widespread devastation that the Haitian troops committed against every Dominican town and rural areas they passed through, said this:

"…us northerners were beginning to see the migrants from the south arriving into our territory; they were filled with ulcers, begging for their own survival, some were crying and lamenting the ruin of their families, all of them were scared of the events they witnessed and suffered, with the characteristic signs of their suffering and the announcement or the prognostication of what awaited us."

And this:

"Not long after his death, the cadaver of our Commanding Officer [the Spanish mulatto Jose Serapio Reynoso) was hardly recognizable because the blood and the dust covered him that only because of his clothes we knew he was one of us, in effect that every time a Haitian walked by the cadaver they would hit it with their sables or the bayonet as if they were afraid he would resurrect, and with this brutal action it was clear the spirit of vengeance that dominated the Haitians."

And this:

"I was told by the Sexton of Moca of the lengthy conference that the priest of Santiago had with Henry Christophe (the Haitian leader of the part of the Haitian army that invaded through the north), after having been place at hte head of a line of men and women, all lined with their backs facing the edge of the hillside on the banks of the river, all condemned to the sword with a single signal from the Haitian chief... who approached them with a dagger on his hand and insulting them with the most vulgar manner. Everything changed when Campos Taváres arrived, finally achieving that all the Spanish people of color about to be slaughtered to be given their liberty and the priest was held as a prisoner."

And this:

"...all the population and towns along the way the Haitian troops reduced to ashes, destroying even the holy altars. The priests that were encountered were all made prisoners and then sacrificed, forcing the ones that were left alive to march to Guarico (modern Cap Haitien), NOT EVEN THE PEOPLE OF COLOR WERE EXCEMPT FROM THIS... many dying due to hunger and thirst a long the way they were forced to march to the French part barefoot and without hats..."

And this:

"In addition to all the sacrifices and humiliations we were put through, it was prohibited even for the free people of color that voluntarily wanted to emigrate or didn’t want to separate themselves from those with whom they had spent their youth with. The Haitians prohibited this with the death penalty and it was a way to find motives to harass the population."

And this:

"Among those forced to march to the French part by the Haitians was our old vicar Mr. Pedro Taváres, a man in his 80’s of an exemplar virtue; the woman Francisca Hurtado, of the same age; THE HONORABLE BLACK JULIÁN DE MEDINA, his old wife, both parents of Felipa; his daughters Zeferina, Florentina and Gregoria, Maria and Nicolaza, sisters of this one; all had the same fate, although the last two escaped and return to Santiago and because of them we knew of the cruel end to so many wretch people..."

And this:

"The well known by all of us MULATTO TAILOR Fernando Pimentel, who had not yet swallowed the Holy Eucharist, when he was beating to death with a bayonet and was left laying next to the door of the sanctuary. Whomever managed to escape the massacre within the church was later killed at the hands of those Caribs (the army lead by Henry Christophe) that swept through Santiago and didn’t forgive a single life wherever they found it."

Bottom line: Dominican-Haitian relations are complex, very very old, mostly tragic, and much of a century based on Dominican survival against a vengeful neighbor with expansionist tendencies. Since then the back and forth has not been as severe, but maintains a certain distrust between the two countries mostly because neither of the two want to accept what they did wrong to the other party but they want the other party to feel sorry for what they did. A large percentage of Dominicans are direct descendants of the people that suffered Haiti's wrath in the 1800's and certain attitudes are passed down from one generation to another simply because it forms part of their family history and then it gets reinforced in school because those events are also part of the national history. Most Haitians, though, don't descend from people that suffered any wrath from Dominicans. That's the gist of it.

For this reason I say that it's a miracle how much cooperation exist now, because for most of the last 2 centuries or so it has been anything but that! lol

To sum it up: Dominicans are the only people in America, and probably in the world, that were oppressed and had their survival seriously in danger by black people, essentially Haitians. Its the biggest paradox that exist. The Haitians, who were oppressed by the French, later on became the oppressors of their neighbors. A lot of people like to ignore this detail and yet, its so fundamental.

Wouldn't you say, though, that the Dominicans, with the Trujillo "perejil" massacre and the subsequent lower-level exploitation and bad treatment of Haitians in the bateys and Dominicans of Haitian descent since, have done much to get even, especially in the last century?

Old 05-20-2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Wouldn't you say, though, that the Dominicans, with the Trujillo "perejil" massacre and the subsequent lower-level exploitation and bad treatment of Haitians in the bateys and Dominicans of Haitian descent since, have done much to get even, especially in the last century?
I've never seen this in terms of 'one group getting even with the other,' I'm simply explaining how it is and why things are the way they are.

Getting even would mean that what was done to Dominicans would have to be done to the Haitians and quite frankly I don't see that. Haiti has never been invaded by Dominicans, two-thirds of Haitians were never expelled from their own country by Dominican invaders, thousands of Haitians were not massacred all over Haiti and had their towns burned to the ground and their farmers plots completely destroyed not once but multiple times by invading Dominican forces. Thousands of Haitian women were not forcibly raped by invading Dominican forces. Haitians were not prohibited to speak their own language in their own land or had their schools and universities closed, or were treated with contempt in their own country by the invading Dominican forces. Dominicans have never conspired to destroy the Haitians and appropriate Haiti.

As painful as it is whatever the Dominicans have done to Haitians in the 20th century, it still remains that it has happened on Dominican soil and not on Haitian soil and that is a very basic but powerful difference. The Trujillo massacre was a response to encroaching population from Haiti after the Dominican government reached an agreement with Haiti in which it ceded a large part of its western territory to Haiti with Haiti promising that it would guard the border to prevent its people from crossing into Dominican land. The reason this agreement was reached was because since the times of Haitian president Geffrard, the Haitian government encouraged its peasant population to move into the Guava Valley of the DR because since the times of Toussaint Loverture the Haitians had coveted that very fertile land and Dominicans refused to give up their sovereignty over that land. Once that valley was filled with Haitian peasants and Dominicans grossly outnumbered, the Dominicans took the more sensible way out of that which was not to expel the Haitians or to kill them, but rather to redraw the border.

Dominicans that are well versed on the history of their territory, every time they look at a map of the island and notice that the border no longer resembles the original one that was set in 1777 between Spain and France:

In 1929 the Dominican government decided to settle the dispute with the Haitian government in order to put an end to the constant warfare that took place precisely in that border region an due to the border dispute.

This is only one of many issues that keeps the distrust in place and makes understanding Dominican-Haitian relations complex.

Even something as basic as what to call the island has remained unresolved, because neither of the two governments recognize Hispaniola or La Espanola as the official name of the island. If you put attention to the Haitian constitution in clearly says Island of Haiti (The territory of the Haitian Republic comprises:
a. The western part of the island of Haiti... source: Haiti: Constitution, 1987) while in the Dominican constitution it says Island of Santo Domingo (Está conformado por: 1) La parte oriental de la isla de Santo Domingo... source: Dominican Republic: Constitutions).

Even the national anthems of the two countries are at odds with one another. While Haiti's national anthem is an oath to Jean Jacques Dessalines, the man that perpetrated the largest massacre of Dominicans in their own land; the Dominican national anthem is focused on liberty from their oppressors (the Haitians) and even says that the Dominican Republic will be destroyed because it will never be a slave again and ends with the chant liberty, liberty, liberty!

Even the time zones are different and this is intentional.

Basically, too much has happened for anyone to effectively 'get even.' To put it another way, the Dominicans would have to invade and push Haiti to the brink of extinction in order to 'get even' and not only do I don't think that's desirable, but its practically impossible.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I've never seen this in terms of 'one group getting even with the other,' I'm simply explaining how it is and why things are the way they are.

Getting even would mean that what was done to Dominicans would have to be done to the Haitians and quite frankly I don't see that. Haiti has never been invaded by Dominicans, two-thirds of Haitians were never expelled from their own country by Dominican invaders, thousands of Haitians were not massacred all over Haiti and had their towns burned to the ground and their farmers plots completely destroyed not once but multiple times by invading Dominican forces. Thousands of Haitian women were not forcibly raped by invading Dominican forces. Haitians were not prohibited to speak their own language in their own land or had their schools and universities closed, or were treated with contempt in their own country by the invading Dominican forces. Dominicans have never conspired to destroy the Haitians and appropriate Haiti.

As painful as it is whatever the Dominicans have done to Haitians in the 20th century, it still remains that it has happened on Dominican soil and not on Haitian soil and that is a very basic but powerful difference. The Trujillo massacre was a response to encroaching population from Haiti after the Dominican government reached an agreement with Haiti in which it ceded a large part of its western territory to Haiti with Haiti promising that it would guard the border to prevent its people from crossing into Dominican land. The reason this agreement was reached was because since the times of Haitian president Geffrard, the Haitian government encouraged its peasant population to move into the Guava Valley of the DR because since the times of Toussaint Loverture the Haitians had coveted that very fertile land and Dominicans refused to give up their sovereignty over that land. Once that valley was filled with Haitian peasants and Dominicans grossly outnumbered, the Dominicans took the more sensible way out of that which was not to expel the Haitians or to kill them, but rather to redraw the border.

Dominicans that are well versed on the history of their territory, every time they look at a map of the island and notice that the border no longer resembles the original one that was set in 1777 between Spain and France:

In 1929 the Dominican government decided to settle the dispute with the Haitian government in order to put an end to the constant warfare that took place precisely in that border region an due to the border dispute.

This is only one of many issues that keeps the distrust in place and makes understanding Dominican-Haitian relations complex.

Even something as basic as what to call the island has remained unresolved, because neither of the two governments recognize Hispaniola or La Espanola as the official name of the island. If you put attention to the Haitian constitution in clearly says Island of Haiti (The territory of the Haitian Republic comprises:
a. The western part of the island of Haiti... source: Haiti: Constitution, 1987) while in the Dominican constitution it says Island of Santo Domingo (Está conformado por: 1) La parte oriental de la isla de Santo Domingo... source: Dominican Republic: Constitutions).

Even the national anthems of the two countries are at odds with one another. While Haiti's national anthem is an oath to Jean Jacques Dessalines, the man that perpetrated the largest massacre of Dominicans in their own land; the Dominican national anthem is focused on liberty from their oppressors (the Haitians) and even says that the Dominican Republic will be destroyed because it will never be a slave again and ends with the chant liberty, liberty, liberty!

Even the time zones are different and this is intentional.

Basically, too much has happened for anyone to effectively 'get even.' To put it another way, the Dominicans would have to invade and push Haiti to the brink of extinction in order to 'get even' and not only do I don't think that's desirable, but its practically impossible.
I can only say that I have read many of your posts on the Dominican/Haitian conflict, and if anything, you are consciously (or unknowingly) writing this from the perspective of Dominicans only and that you seem to be justifying the actions of, say, Trujillo, as simply a reaction to something done by Haitians. You are not a neutral party in this at all.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I can only say that I have read many of your posts on the Dominican/Haitian conflict, and if anything, you are consciously (or unknowingly) writing this from the perspective of Dominicans only and that you seem to be justifying the actions of, say, Trujillo, as simply a reaction to something done by Haitians. You are not a neutral party in this at all.
I'm simply stating things as they are, not as people wish they were. If you want to remove the fault that Haitians do share in the Dominican-Haitian dilemma and want to pretend that its all Dominican's fault, be my guess but that is not reality. There are two sides to every coin and it should catch everyone's attention that most people here are only presenting one side and had it not been for me and maybe one other person, almost all Dominican based threads would had been anti-Dominican bashing fests. I don't know why anyone would consider a debate that is constantly brought up in this forum and most only show one side would be considered 'neutral.'

There is no need for me to be anti-Dominican here, because more than enough people are already playing that part.

On any topic that I have some knowledge of, if I see the debates are dominated by one side only and I know there is another side to the story, I will bring forth the other side. The real question here is why does it bother you that one person is constantly presenting the other side in this topic when there are so many people that all they do is bash Dominicans whenever a Dominican-centered thread pops up and yet, you don't complain about them?

Seems to me that 'neutral' to you is someone that brings this video and leaves an anti-Dominican impression:

But, whomever comes and later post the following video and explains that the Dominican people in the first video were reacting to what was done in the second video which was aired in the national news and newspapers, suddenly you get the urge to complain about this person for putting everything in perspective.

Post the first video in a Dominican-related thread is good in City-Data, but posting the second video and pin point that that event is what caused the people in the first video to react is seen with bad eyes here.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:59 PM

728 posts, read 977,383 times
Haiti has a well-documented history of 'oppressing' lighter skinned folks; whenever the chance presents itself. Duvalier, Dessaline, Boyer, and Aristide all represent an anti-francophone/anti-elite sentiment throughout Haiti's history. Are we really that surprised Haiti would do all it could to eliminate traces of the colonizers? We're talking about one of the largest slave colonies in the world during its hey-day.

Toussaint L'Ouverture however did NOT have a policy to demolish the Euro/mixed populace. He wanted Haiti to be an overseas department of France. He was originally titled Governor-General. Napoleon screwed all that up and the rest of the revolutionaries revolted and wanted blood.

My grandmother's family was nearly eradicated under Papa Doc and only survived because of connections and warnings; so I’ve heard accounts. It's probably why most of my family (even extended family) is abroad. That's not to say that Duvalier didn't have 'Grimo and Grimel' confidantes and acquaintances. It's just the upper-middle class ones that got shafted.

Haiti has done a lot to the DR as well. However it is important to note; as the First and for a while only Black Republic in the Free World, Haiti was forced into a corner (De Facto Embargo). The Dominicans were viewed as traitors to a lot of the Haitians (Mulatto and Black). The Francophone elite didn't like the whole idea of Spain coming back to the island either.
It's also important to note that if Haiti remained split between North & South; a lot more of the mulatto populace would still be around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas