Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 03:34 AM

7 posts, read 21,418 times

Advertisements

Am new here so this is my first post. I don't know much how things work here.

Okay this is the 2010 D.R. Census. I know there are one that say 16%73%11% but this is the 2010 last census.

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC 2010
27% White.
59% Mulatos/Mestizos(mostly Mulatos)
12% Black
2% Asian/Others.

According to recent genealogical tests, the average Dominican is estimated to be 58.1% Caucasian, 35.2% African, and 6.4% Indigenous Amerindian overall

http://oi46.tinypic.com/jl2efa.jpg

"All content of 2006 - 2012 DNA Tribe "

What this video of DOMINICANS. How very diverse Dominicans are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO0tt_BCFCg

As i have been reading some posts here. I have found out the same pattern in other Web such as Yahoo answer asking about Dominican being in denial or self hate.
Am Dominican and I have been with Dominican my entire life. I was born in D.R. until the age of 12 when I move here to the U.S. I have been going back and ford to DR for 10 years. Yet I learned about us Dominicans hating ourselves or being in denial LAST YEAR(4 quarter) in a Youtube video made by African Americans.
This surprised me because I have NEVER in my life experience such thing around Dominican of the so call "self hate" and "being in denial". Topic about "race" is not something Dominican speak about since most Dominicans just don't care. Because Dominicans see a White Dominican as the same as a Black Dominican or a Mix Dominican. We are the same no matter skin color. It's also such a double standard with Dominicans. I usually found A.A. on the web saying how they always see Dominican having "self hate" issues and it's like if they find them on a daily basic yet i have NEVER spoke to those kind of Dominicans, even though all my life i been with Dominicans. Like i said there is this double standard with Dominican. I always ask people in Youtube: why don't you go ahead and ask any Dominican: ARE YOU WHITE? and see the 95% of them will tell you: NOOO AM NOT WHITE, AM DOMINICAN. Does this mean Dominicans are White Self haters?

Old 04-28-2014, 04:30 AM

692 posts, read 957,946 times
Sooo we're just gonna pretend all that bullsh!t with Balaguer or Trujillo or Peña-Gomez didn't happen...

Old 04-28-2014, 07:03 AM

29 posts, read 39,812 times
I don't know about self hating, I think Dominicans in general are pretty well cultured. They have the most African-based first names out of most of Latin America, that's for sure. Like 35% of the Dominicans that I met while I was there had first names that were hard to spell or pronounce and a lot of them would say "Yeah, it's Nigerian" lmao.

The only odd experience I had regarding race was once I got back from DR, I was having a convo with my Dominican co-worker in Spanish about my trip. I told her I loved Santo Domingo in general but didn't care for Boca Chica. She replied "Yeah, it's full of prostitutes and most of them are black... Ew."

I was a bit taken aback by that, considering I'm definitely what most consider Black (Puerto Rican) .

Old 04-28-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm A Gypsy View Post
I don't know about self hating, I think Dominicans in general are pretty well cultured. They have the most African-based first names out of most of Latin America, that's for sure. Like 35% of the Dominicans that I met while I was there had first names that were hard to spell or pronounce and a lot of them would say "Yeah, it's Nigerian" lmao.

The only odd experience I had regarding race was once I got back from DR, I was having a convo with my Dominican co-worker in Spanish about my trip. I told her I loved Santo Domingo in general but didn't care for Boca Chica. She replied "Yeah, it's full of prostitutes and most of them are black... Ew."

I was a bit taken aback by that, considering I'm definitely what most consider Black (Puerto Rican) .
Yeah we are very cultured thanks. hahahah Africa based first name? give me some example. most name are biblical name, like maria, jose, ramon, pedro, feliz, ( the old generation) but now the new generation use combine names and English names.
hahahahah Nigerian.. LMAO that's good. hahaha

Oh yeah there is a lot of prostitution but that was so wrong what she said and i don't share her feelings. Maybe she said it cuz many Haitians go to those tourists area. This is the reason some people come back from D.R. saying they only saw black people. LOL

Old 04-28-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
Sooo we're just gonna pretend all that bullsh!t with Balaguer or Trujillo or Peña-Gomez didn't happen...
NO am not saying that, i know many things happened in the past. I can tell you this is the reason some people believe Dominicans are still like that which is wrong. Some people watch documentary about us speaking of it but it was in the past, many Dominican in fact are anti racists. I remember my dad used to hide many Haitians to work in the land in the back of my house. I used to remember how people used to hide a good Haitian guy from the immigration when they used to come for him. Why? because he gave himself to respect by working and speaking a better Spanish and people used to have a better feeling around him.
I believe many Dominicans tried their best to get away from the past and that's the reason such things is not common amount Dominicans.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:46 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,544,572 times
Quote:

Appreciate an example of some of these "Nigerian" names?

Old 04-28-2014, 03:32 PM

284 posts, read 641,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodanyrd View Post
Am new here so this is my first post. I don't know much how things work here.

Okay this is the 2010 D.R. Census. I know there are one that say 16%73%11% but this is the 2010 last census.

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC 2010
27% White.
59% Mulatos/Mestizos(mostly Mulatos)
12% Black
2% Asian/Others.

According to recent genealogical tests, the average Dominican is estimated to be 58.1% Caucasian, 35.2% African, and 6.4% Indigenous Amerindian overall

http://oi46.tinypic.com/jl2efa.jpg

"All content of 2006 - 2012 DNA Tribe "

What this video of DOMINICANS. How very diverse Dominicans are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO0tt_BCFCg

As i have been reading some posts here. I have found out the same pattern in other Web such as Yahoo answer asking about Dominican being in denial or self hate.
Am Dominican and I have been with Dominican my entire life. I was born in D.R. until the age of 12 when I move here to the U.S. I have been going back and ford to DR for 10 years. Yet I learned about us Dominicans hating ourselves or being in denial LAST YEAR(4 quarter) in a Youtube video made by African Americans.
This surprised me because I have NEVER in my life experience such thing around Dominican of the so call "self hate" and "being in denial". Topic about "race" is not something Dominican speak about since most Dominicans just don't care. Because Dominicans see a White Dominican as the same as a Black Dominican or a Mix Dominican. We are the same no matter skin color. It's also such a double standard with Dominicans. I usually found A.A. on the web saying how they always see Dominican having "self hate" issues and it's like if they find them on a daily basic yet i have NEVER spoke to those kind of Dominicans, even though all my life i been with Dominicans. Like i said there is this double standard with Dominican. I always ask people in Youtube: why don't you go ahead and ask any Dominican: ARE YOU WHITE? and see the 95% of them will tell you: NOOO AM NOT WHITE, AM DOMINICAN. Does this mean Dominicans are White Self haters?

sighh its funny you never hear white latin americans say this. the "mix" and some of the "black" dominicans are delusional. and they DONT know their history.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:26 PM

10,110 posts, read 14,985,985 times
Not this again!

There's another thread where this was amply discussed and cleared up. How about going over there and read everything that has been posted, good and bad.

BTW, I'm glad more Dominicans are taking DNA tests to discover their origins. The mixed race nature of most Dominicans is visible on their faces for anyone that actually puts attention.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:42 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,076,241 times
I have no problem with Dominicans. In fact some of their music is pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4NBD3SqBwg

I like this collaboration between Dominican artist Prince Royce and Mexican artist Thalia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xpDgESjcRg

Plus some of those Mulatta women are hot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-28-2014, 07:35 PM

728 posts, read 975,928 times
Quote:

I read this wrong. ! But I don't think Dominicans have exceedingly African names compared to any group. I've been to DR and never noticed it. Dominicans in America have all types of names but I have never came across a Kofi or a Ayodele in Puerto Plata or S.D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas