Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 10:59 PM

116 posts, read 233,121 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I want to study abroad next summer (was supposed to go this summer, but anyway) and I think I will most likely be going with USAC God willing. So the program has three cities in Costa Rica that I could go to which are Heredia, Puntarenas, and San Ramón. If any of you have ever been to any of these places in Costa Rica I would love to hear about your experience. The program also has Santiago Chile, Havana Cuba (wouldn't be able to get the Gilman scholarship for this one though bc of the US travel warning list) Alicante, Bilbao, Madrid, and San Sebastian Spain. The only thing about Spain is that the Gilman scholarship prefers for people to go to non traditional places, my study abroad advisor told me this and I read it on their website. I'm really hoping to get that scholarship because I heard a lot of people study abroad with that one. Anyway, I would still love to hear about any of these places if you have been. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 09:00 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,976,343 times
I'd probably go with Costa Rica over Santiago.

I don't know too much about the different cities in Costa Rica, but I'd head in that direction.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:08 AM

3,981 posts, read 8,198,149 times
Haven't been there yet, but heading to Costa Rica in 12 days. From planning, I would probably choose to go to Puntarenas because it is on the Pacific coast with beautiful beaches and lots of stuff to see,

Old 04-30-2014, 04:11 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,803,284 times
I have lived in Spain and traveled for a month around Costa Rica.

If you do go to CR, I would choose Puntarenas. It is beautiful. From what I remember, Heredia was boring. Steer clear of San Jose, worst Latin American city I have been to. Unfortunately I don't know about San Ramon.

I know many people who studied in Santiago and have heard mixed feelings about the place. Some liked it, some hated it.

Spain is amazing, vibrant, and bursting with culture and nightlife. Everyone I know who has been loves it! I would recommend you study in Spain if you can.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:29 PM

10,210 posts, read 15,076,741 times
The beaches of the Pacific coast not just of Costa Rica, but of every Central American country are not as nice as those on the Caribbean coast. They are nice, but don't have the wow factor that usually accompanies Caribbean beaches.

I suggest going to Spain, especially Madrid.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:02 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,435,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
The beaches of the Pacific coast not just of Costa Rica, but of every Central American country are not as nice as those on the Caribbean coast. They are nice, but don't have the wow factor that usually accompanies Caribbean beaches.
For the most part I agree, Caribbean beaches are nicer, but there are some really nice beaches and spectacular views along Central Americas Pacific coast.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
I have lived in Spain and traveled for a month around Costa Rica.

If you do go to CR, I would choose Puntarenas. It is beautiful. From what I remember, Heredia was boring. Steer clear of San Jose, worst Latin American city I have been to. Unfortunately I don't know about San Ramon.

I know many people who studied in Santiago and have heard mixed feelings about the place. Some liked it, some hated it.

Spain is amazing, vibrant, and bursting with culture and nightlife. Everyone I know who has been loves it! I would recommend you study in Spain if you can.

Thanks for the info everyone. BullBoxer31urf- yea Spain was initially my first choice until I read on the Gilman website that they prefer to give the scholarships to students going to non-traditional places and not Western Europe, Australia, or New Zealand . I really want that scholarship because it would help a lot but I will continue to do some research to find other scholarship options besides that one and the two from my school. I'm glad you told me that Heredia seemed boring because that's the one that I wasn't thinking to do as most programs highlight that one.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:34 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,803,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbenoit View Post
Thanks for the info everyone. BullBoxer31urf- yea Spain was initially my first choice until I read on the Gilman website that they prefer to give the scholarships to students going to non-traditional places and not Western Europe, Australia, or New Zealand . I really want that scholarship because it would help a lot but I will continue to do some research to find other scholarship options besides that one and the two from my school. I'm glad you told me that Heredia seemed boring because that's the one that I wasn't thinking to do as most programs highlight that one.
Sorry about the scholarship situation- it is smart to have a good amount of money so that you can travel around. I studied abroad 2x- once in Spain and once in Oaxaca, Mexico. I only had a scholarship for one and it made a big difference.

In Heredia, Costa Rica I only stayed there 2 nights. I remember it being a small city, but it may have changed. I was there a while ago.

I do remember Puntarenas being beautiful. I think it has more of a 'special' factor and you definitely want that when studying abroad.

What are your studying? Is it a special program or just Spanish immersion?

Old 04-30-2014, 11:22 PM

Well my major is communications disorders and my minor is Spanish. It will compliment me well when I become a Speech Pathologist since there is a need for more Spanish speaking SLP's. It's a Spanish immersion program since I mainly want to improve my Spanish skills. I said USAC, but there are many other programs I could choose with other options for me to go, I just said USAC since their program seems to have the best price for what you get, also Sol Education Abroad. Which program did you study with? Lastly, do you think it's smart to get a loan for study abroad or no?

Old 05-01-2014, 08:19 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,976,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbenoit View Post
Well my major is communications disorders and my minor is Spanish. It will compliment me well when I become a Speech Pathologist since there is a need for more Spanish speaking SLP's. It's a Spanish immersion program since I mainly want to improve my Spanish skills. I said USAC, but there are many other programs I could choose with other options for me to go, I just said USAC since their program seems to have the best price for what you get, also Sol Education Abroad. Which program did you study with? Lastly, do you think it's smart to get a loan for study abroad or no?
Study abroad's typically cost the same as your regular tuition. If you can get by taking out the same amount for tuition as you would staying back and still manage to take enough classes to stay on schedule then I'd go for it. If it will knock you back in your graduation date, I'd recommend against doing a study abroad and just going on your own time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas