Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Latin American countries have you been to (or lived in)?
Mexico 31 67.39%
Guatemala 7 15.22%
El Salvador 6 13.04%
Honduras 10 21.74%
Nicaragua 10 21.74%
Costa Rica 19 41.30%
Panama 15 32.61%
Cuba 2 4.35%
Haiti 5 10.87%
Dominican Republic 8 17.39%
Puerto Rico 15 32.61%
Venezuela 4 8.70%
Colombia 18 39.13%
Ecuador 9 19.57%
Peru 6 13.04%
Bolivia 4 8.70%
Chile 9 19.57%
Argentina 13 28.26%
Uruguay 9 19.57%
Paraguay 6 13.04%
Brazil 13 28.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 11:46 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,169,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Neither is Quebec or Louisiana, but they are not a part of this and no one really includes them in the term Latin America..
The above all both part of the mainland nations, with Louisiana being a state. Not sure how either is relevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 09:49 PM

10,069 posts, read 14,940,669 times
So far only 24 people have voted.

It sure seems many more people like to give their opinion about various Latin American countries in this forum. With the authoritative nature some here give their opinions on Latin America and its people, the least one would expect is that they at least visited the countries they talk about.

Hmm...

Maybe its too soon and hopefully more votes will come, but I already see a trend. lol

Old 05-18-2014, 10:00 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,534,036 times
Just Mexico and Nicaragua.

I was surprised to see that there is not a single hit for Cuba before I remembered that this is an American forum. Here in Canada if someone's been abroad once, besides the USA, that destination will be in the Caribbean and it's almost always either Cuba or the Dominican Republic.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:10 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,385,974 times
What,no love for Belize?

Old 05-22-2014, 06:44 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
What,no love for Belize?
I was thinking that as well but I was a little hesitant on bringing it up. Belize sort of falls in that grey area where it can be sometimes included as being part of Latin America and Anglophone America. Though Belize was technically founded by the Spanish explorers, it was never fully colonized by them because of the lack of resources. It would later go on to be colonized be the British. The official language is English but over 30% of the country speak Spanish as a first language and Belize is actually a Hispanic/mestizo majority country. For what it's worth, there's actually a distinct Belizean dialect of Spanish called "Kitchen Spanish". Some people include Belize as being part of Latin America while others don't. It really depends. On a personally note, my grandfather was born in and is of Belizean descent and speaks English, Spanish and Belizean Creole.

Belize Demographics Country Profile 2013 | With Belize Census Data

Belizean Languages | Hopkins Bay Resort, Belize

Old 05-23-2014, 11:40 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,532,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I was thinking that as well but I was a little hesitant on bringing it up. Belize sort of falls in that grey area where it can be sometimes included as being part of Latin America and Anglophone America. Though Belize was technically founded by the Spanish explorers, it was never fully colonized by them because of the lack of resources. It would later go on to be colonized be the British. The official language is English but over 30% of the country speak Spanish as a first language and Belize is actually a Hispanic/mestizo majority country. For what it's worth, there's actually a distinct Belizean dialect of Spanish called "Kitchen Spanish". Some people include Belize as being part of Latin America while others don't. It really depends. On a personally note, my grandfather was born in and is of Belizean descent and speaks English, Spanish and Belizean Creole.

Belize Demographics Country Profile 2013 | With Belize Census Data

Belizean Languages | Hopkins Bay Resort, Belize

While Belize is part of the Anglophone Caribbean, because the official language is English, and the vernacular is a creole dialect based on English, a substantial part of its population, indeed the largest part of it, have ties to Central America, and speak Spanish. Many as a first language.

The Belizean Mestizos, the immigrant mestizos (Salvadorean/Honduran/Guatemalans), as well as the Mayas are all as Hispanic ion orientation as those in the neighboring countries.

Only the Creoles and the Belizean Garifuna arent, but even with the latter, there are close ties with the Garifuna of Honduras and Guatemala.

Belize is a de facto bilingual/bicultural society, even if this isnt officially recognized. It is therefore very different from its counterparts, Guyana, and Suriname, which are rigorous in their isolation from the Luso/Hispano worlds.

To arrive in Guyana and Suriname is to arrive in a Caribbean island lodged against the Amazon. Once one leaves Belize City, Dangriga, Belmopan, and a few other settlements, one can be in any Central American nation.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:12 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,106,140 times
leaving for colombia on tuesday for 6 weeks, will be my 3rd trip to my abuela's homeland. I absolutely love colombia!!

Old 05-26-2014, 07:30 PM

456 posts, read 833,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Just Mexico and Nicaragua.

I was surprised to see that there is not a single hit for Cuba before I remembered that this is an American forum. Here in Canada if someone's been abroad once, besides the USA, that destination will be in the Caribbean and it's almost always either Cuba or the Dominican Republic.
It's the heavily anti-Castro Cuban lobby that prevents the US from lifting its outdated policy on Cuba. I mean if US can have diplomatic relations with Venezuela, Vietnam, China, Turkmenistan, Bolivia, it can have such relations with Cuba.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:47 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antequera View Post
It's the heavily anti-Castro Cuban lobby that prevents the US from lifting its outdated policy on Cuba. I mean if US can have diplomatic relations with Venezuela, Vietnam, China, Turkmenistan, Bolivia, it can have such relations with Cuba.
You would think President Obama would've tried to change that out-policy cold war by now. I guess not.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:20 PM

456 posts, read 833,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
You would think President Obama would've tried to change that out-policy cold war by now. I guess not.
He's tried to an extent (increasing the visit opportunities by Americans) but not enough.

The thing is if you are a US citizen and want to visit Cuba legally now, it's really not that hard to do so. There are bunch of travel programs that can make that happen easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas