Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 11:25 AM

491 posts, read 753,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
So you're admitting to everyone else on here that you're an uneducated bigot. Yay!
I think he's being sarcastic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 11:49 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,924,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
So you're admitting to everyone else on here that you're an uneducated bigot. Yay!

I'm quite familiar with the differences.. my family is Brasilian.

What I said was the truth, most Latinos in the United States are Mexican. If you deny that, you are the uneducated one.

I merely said, who cares? As long as the person is not specifically trying to do it to be rude, I am not going to get worked up over it. I have many more important things to do in my life than to worry about whether someone knows the difference between a Guatemalan and a Mexican.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:38 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,702,805 times
I found some data on line that states 60% of the Latino POP are Mexicans.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:08 PM

When I'm abroad, people have assumed I am from many countries other than the United States. Am I going to go on a rant and tell these people how "uneducated" they are because they didn't know I was from the United States by looking at me?

Old 05-21-2014, 08:09 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,792,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
I found some data on line that states 60% of the Latino POP are Mexicans.
Its only common sense that people will lump you with the largest group that is in a country.

When I lived in Spain everyone thought I was South American. No one knows anything about Mexico there. There are alot of Ecuadorian, Colombian and Peruvian immigrants there. I didn't care.

Just humbly correct people and move on.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:55 PM

5,761 posts, read 11,365,702 times
I lived in Alabama for a few years in the late 1990s and yes, many people referred to almost any latino person they came in contact with as Mexican. I was not entirely shocked since the majority of latino people in Alabama are from Mexico.

Just a side observation, I attended high school in Chile and have spent a lot of time in many countries in South America. In many countries, almost anyone of Asian origin is referred to as "chino". In Peru, the nickname of their former President in the 1990s Alberto Fujimori (of Japanese ancestry) was "el chino", even while he was president. I even saw that nickname used in tabloid type newspapers in Peru.

Go figure, the same shoe fits many feet.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I lived in Alabama for a few years in the late 1990s and yes, many people referred to almost any latino person they came in contact with as Mexican. I was not entirely shocked since the majority of latino people in Alabama are from Mexico.

Just a side observation, I attended high school in Chile and have spent a lot of time in many countries in South America. In many countries, almost anyone of Asian origin is referred to as "chino". In Peru, the nickname of their former President in the 1990s Alberto Fujimori (of Japanese ancestry) was "el chino", even while he was president. I even saw that nickname used in tabloid type newspapers in Peru.

Go figure, the same shoe fits many feet.
hahah, I was joking about that with my girlfriend a while back. I acted really upset with her and said "not all white people are the same, I'm not just a piece of meat and I'm different from a european". She laughed and said "yeah we do the same thing with asians, they are all chinese"

Old 05-22-2014, 08:05 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,056 times
One reason may be that historically, the average Latino most Americans were likely to encounter were Mexican or of Mexican heritage, due mainly to their larger local population and established business presence, as compared to other Latinos. Also, some of them may have been transplants from areas where they were not exposed to Latinos other than Mexicans and hence carried that assumption with them.

Where I live in Houston, I've encountered more Mexicans in my random daily interactions, even though there are sizable Central and South American populations here as well. Unless I'm at a pupuseria or other similarly obvious ethnic establishments, it is difficult for me to distinguish between a Mexican, Guatemalan, Honduran or El Salvadorian based on looks alone, if they all possess largely indigenous Mayan features.

Similarly, during my travels throughout Mexico and Guatemala, the locals often referred to me as "La China" whether in upscale tourist areas or small, relatively remote villages. I distinctly remember some young barefooted village kids shyly following me around, laughing and calling out "La China! La China!" in Santiago Atitlan almost 25 yrs ago, when it was less developed and touristy than it is today. At the time, I was unaware of the historical presence of the Chinese in many parts of Latin America. I found it puzzling because I don't think I have very Chinese-looking features, other than having fairly pale skin and being quite tall (5'7") for a Vietnamese woman. But because there was no malice in their tone - only excitement, curiosity or benign ignorance - I took no offense.

Last edited by mingna; 05-22-2014 at 08:21 AM..

Old 05-23-2014, 10:20 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,106,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Its only common sense that people will lump you with the largest group that is in a country.

When I lived in Spain everyone thought I was South American. No one knows anything about Mexico there. There are alot of Ecuadorian, Colombian and Peruvian immigrants there. I didn't care.

Just humbly correct people and move on.
and because people get annoyed by being lumped together with the biggest group I assume the 2nd biggest group if I can't tell.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:40 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,078,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
hahah, I was joking about that with my girlfriend a while back. I acted really upset with her and said "not all white people are the same, I'm not just a piece of meat and I'm different from a european". She laughed and said "yeah we do the same thing with asians, they are all chinese"

Not true, white Mexicans are called "güerito", "güero", even if they are not blonde. Since most white in DF are descendants of Gachupines, I don't know if they use that word but I don't think so.

Gringo is just some obviously foreigner tourist from anywhere in Europe or the US, just as they say "guiri" in Spain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas