Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 04:57 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,181,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
I'm referring to California. From Spain passed to Mexico, and later was invaded by American scallywags and gold diggers supported by the US Navy, they set up a bonus republic and displaced legal owners of the land, or "Californios".

California was the name of a 16th Century "novel of chivalry" that Cortez was reading at that moment.
I'm aware that California went through Spain hands and Mexico's hands...but it's part of the U.S. at the present time.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:12 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,078,342 times
But California is Californian, and as such, partly Mexican. Mexico is part of the identity of the US....

...and "colonization" does not work, never works and eventually territories revert to their original inhabitants. Look at North Africa, those lands were grabbed by European countries when those countries almost were totally empty and did not exist.....

The only thing that will work is creating a country that integrates Spanish and Mexican cultures, just as in Mexico, a country based on three cultures.

Old 08-09-2014, 11:50 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
But California is Californian, and as such, partly Mexican. Mexico is part of the identity of the US....

...and "colonization" does not work, never works and eventually territories revert to their original inhabitants. Look at North Africa, those lands were grabbed by European countries when those countries almost were totally empty and did not exist.....

The only thing that will work is creating a country that integrates Spanish and Mexican cultures, just as in Mexico, a country based on three cultures.
Wha? Nothing you said is historically accurate. Are you saying all of Southern Africa is going to revert back to the Khoi people? Are you saying the Northeast US will become Iroquois? Are you saying that the various peoples absorbed and assimilated into China over the thousands of years are going to culturally reappear? Are you saying Turkey is going to become Celtic? St. Petersburg to become part of some Finno-Ugric nation? This is all so interesting!

But yea California is Californian. At this point, it's also become pretty thoroughly American.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:48 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,968,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Its funny, I watched a video in Spanish about Miami and it showed the Cuban American community, they also talked about the Colombian and even Venezuelan and Peruvian Communties . Not once did they mention Nicaraguans, and Nicas make up the second largest Hispanic group in that city.
Well third now if the video is new, Colombians are now the second largest community. Kind of rude not to mention Nicaraguans though because the Nicaraguan influence is pretty obvious. Those of us who were not excited with Cuban food were glad the Nicaraguans gave us options otherwise we would have stuck with unappetizing food like imperial rice(rice with mayo) and boiled yuca with garlic.

Old 08-10-2014, 01:09 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,968,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Same here in Brazil about Mexican TV shows.

Brazil produces many telenovelas, but also imports many from Mexico. Several telenovelas from Mexico were VERY popular in Brazil in the past. The most recent to be a huge success was "Rebelde", about 6 or 7 years ago.

The success of the Mexican telenovelas also made that Mexican actors who are also singers became popular in Brazil with their songs. Examples include Thalía (the star of the telenovelas "Maria Mercedes", "Maria la del Barrio" and "Marimar"), and Anahí, Dulce Maria and the other members of the RBD group (from the telenovela "Rebelde")

And besides telenovelas, the Mexican TV show "El Chavo del Ocho" was part of the formation of the personality of every Brazilian born after 1980. It's hard to find any Brazilian born after that year who can't tell the names of at least 4 or 5 characters of the show. And almost every Brazilian of this generation will remember the classic episodes when "Chaves" (how "El Chavo" was translated in Brazil) and his friends go to Acapulco! LOL!
I knew about RDB being popular in Brazil but didn't know they also watched el Chavo, interesting. I still know most of the Chavo lines by heart. "el Chavo" was so huge in Colombia that apparently a drug lord paid some of the actors a lot of money to perform in one of his parties. Those narcos were so extravagant. LOL

Watch in HD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw5yiKAlllE

Old 08-10-2014, 05:22 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,078,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Wha? Nothing you said is historically accurate. Are you saying all of Southern Africa is going to revert back to the Khoi people? Are you saying the Northeast US will become Iroquois? Are you saying that the various peoples absorbed and assimilated into China over the thousands of years are going to culturally reappear? Are you saying Turkey is going to become Celtic? St. Petersburg to become part of some Finno-Ugric nation? This is all so interesting!

But yea California is Californian. At this point, it's also become pretty thoroughly American.

Southern Africa will revert to blacks sooner or later. Israel will be Palestinian. There are regions in China that will revert to their original inhabitants (Tibet, parts of Szechuan)

Turkey will remain as is, since the original population was displaced and exterminated and the entire country was occupied by Turks, coming from Asia.

American practically exterminated Indians, so they won't recuperate nothing.

But Americans lands that were taking during the Manifest Destiny era will return to their former culture, it could be an American culture but taking into account the hispanic component.

Something similar to what happened in Mexico, Mexico is a foundry of three cultures, Spain, Mexican and Mixed. El país de las tres culturas. Mexican lands in the US will suffer a similar phenomenah (taking place right now), but will remain in the USA.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:55 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
Southern Africa will revert to blacks sooner or later. Israel will be Palestinian. There are regions in China that will revert to their original inhabitants (Tibet, parts of Szechuan)

Turkey will remain as is, since the original population was displaced and exterminated and the entire country was occupied by Turks, coming from Asia.

American practically exterminated Indians, so they won't recuperate nothing.

But Americans lands that were taking during the Manifest Destiny era will return to their former culture, it could be an American culture but taking into account the hispanic component.

Something similar to what happened in Mexico, Mexico is a foundry of three cultures, Spain, Mexican and Mixed. El país de las tres culturas. Mexican lands in the US will suffer a similar phenomenah (taking place right now), but will remain in the USA.
There is no golden rule to all of this. Sometimes it reverts to something or other, sometimes it doesn't and it never stays the same. The Khoisan (who inhabited the majority of southern Africa until the Bantus completely overran them) are never going to get back Khoisan. There are regions so far assimilated that only historians specializing in Chinese history know they exist. You're accounting of how this works doesn't really make sense given that there are just as many exceptions to the rule as what follows the rule.

Old 08-10-2014, 01:54 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,181,569 times
Well, I for one, am not going to hold my breath waiting for Detroit to revert back to a small French-speaking trading post.

Old 08-10-2014, 02:02 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,393,934 times
I'm from Panama and believe me we understand Mexico pretty well.

From the soccer, to the telenovelas, to the songs and tequila, we are so there...

Thing is in soccer all the rest of Central America has Mexico on their sights mostly because of ESPN latino commentators like David Faitelson who like to downsize countries like Costa Rica and Honduras in favor of Mexico. Considering Costa Rica did better in the last WC well...you got it.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:26 AM

3,978 posts, read 6,787,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker2014 View Post
I'm from Panama and believe me we understand Mexico pretty well.

From the soccer, to the telenovelas, to the songs and tequila, we are so there...

Thing is in soccer all the rest of Central America has Mexico on their sights mostly because of ESPN latino commentators like David Faitelson who like to downsize countries like Costa Rica and Honduras in favor of Mexico. Considering Costa Rica did better in the last WC well...you got it.

Hahaha, los "Ticos" went very far in the WC. I was in the stadium here in Fortaleza when Uruguay was beaten by Costa Rica, and that was SO good! Specially because the Uruguayans carried banners reminding us Brazilians about the "Maracanazo" of 1950. In exchange, the Brazilians were shouting together with the Costa Ricans: "Ole, ole ole ole, Ticos! Ticos!" hahahahaha

I was also in the stadium when Mexico was defeated by Netherlands, and it was so sad, I was rooting for Mexico. Robben really knows how to dive...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas