Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 12:09 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times

Advertisements

Have you heard of Americans retiring in Cuba?

I'd imagine NO.

But, seems like Americans are looking to retire in all kinds of places they wouldn't have before. Thought I'd at least open up the discussion...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 01:42 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,309,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

I'd imagine NO.

But, seems like Americans are looking to retire in all kinds of places they wouldn't have before. Thought I'd at least open up the discussion...
I am sure a lot of far Left Liberals would love to retire in Cuba but they would not be able to stand it for long before running back to the USA.

I am very Conservative, I despise just about anything about Cuba but most importantly, I would not want to live in a place where you have virtually no freedom.

Old 08-24-2014, 04:19 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,079,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

I'd imagine NO.

Only ex-black panthers condemned in the US, macheteros, ultra-left liberals and such, but I've heard of normal run of the mill Americans living there, never actually seen them. For example, if any American marryes a Cuban girl (resident Cuban girl) he's allowed to stay 6 months. He can request residence, but it's a very lenghty process that maybe is shorter for Americans since Americans have a propagandistic value.

Cuban Americans that also have Cuban passport can request residence permit, and if approved, after a thorough check by MININT, they become fully fledged Cubans with the right to buy prroperties, farming land, etc. They are a number of such cases.

There are Americans from the "Academia" in Cuba, but they are vomitive, and the Revered Skywalker and his "reverendetts" is always there, and half Hollywood.

Hollywood loves Castro, so many famous communist actors and directors such as Sheen, Kostner, Stone, Depardieu, Penn and many more are always hanging in "casas de protocolo", houses confiscated 50 years ago and now used to host "friends", such houses include food, yacht, service and sex.

About 6 years ago there were lots of American yachts in Marina Hemingway (Havana), but they have all disappeared.

Last edited by Miserere; 08-24-2014 at 04:29 AM..

Old 08-24-2014, 09:43 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,536,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I am sure a lot of far Left Liberals would love to retire in Cuba but they would not be able to stand it for long before running back to the USA.

I am very Conservative, I despise just about anything about Cuba but most importantly, I would not want to live in a place where you have virtually no freedom.
Probably if you are the average expat retiree, you have absolutely no relationship with the people or politics of your newly adopted country, and just own some private property cut off from the rest of the world around you. I know Cuba is a different story for Americans, but it's still loaded with swanky resorts and I'd imagine they'd be open to someone buying up properties there if it's a fair enough investment. And you are willing to jump through the hoops.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:09 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Probably if you are the average expat retiree, you have absolutely no relationship with the people or politics of your newly adopted country, and just own some private property cut off from the rest of the world around you. I know Cuba is a different story for Americans, but it's still loaded with swanky resorts and I'd imagine they'd be open to someone buying up properties there if it's a fair enough investment. And you are willing to jump through the hoops.
Maybe I don't fully understand Cuba.

I thought that the gov't owns all properties and land in Cuba? Or is that not entirely true?

Old 08-24-2014, 10:13 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,287,688 times
I think it is ridiculous that the US restricts Americans from going wherever they want. That decision should power should reside in the hands of the individual not some government. And to know that Canadians and Europeans are already there in large numbers and scoring business deals at the ground floor. Almost mind boggling. Not exactly pro-freedom.

S.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:13 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
I think it is ridiculous that the US restricts Americans from going wherever they want. That decision should power should reside in the hands of the individual not some government. And to know that Canadians and Europeans are already there in large numbers and scoring business deals at the ground floor. Almost mind boggling. Not exactly pro-freedom.

S.
And yet, we let Americans visit China, set up businesses in China, etc., who is just as repressive as Cuba when it comes to free speech.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:20 AM

Nothing undermines Communism that integration into the global economy with free travel, free exchange of ideas, and a wide distribution of money flows.

Isolating North Korea and Cuba has done nothing for their people. Isolation of China wiped out roughly 100 million due to devastatingly moronic economic policies. Isolating Vietnam led to dire poverty. Now China is the BMOC in Asia and Vietnam is booming.

US Cuba policies have nothing to do with economic welfare of Cubans or Americans. It has to do with protecting the interests/claims of well-endowed Cuban who became Cuban Americans and the East Coast backers of failed policies of the past. Americans should simply thumb their noses at the State Dept and flood into Cuba.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:50 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
Nothing undermines Communism that integration into the global economy with free travel, free exchange of ideas, and a wide distribution of money flows.

Isolating North Korea and Cuba has done nothing for their people. Isolation of China wiped out roughly 100 million due to devastatingly moronic economic policies. Isolating Vietnam led to dire poverty. Now China is the BMOC in Asia and Vietnam is booming.

US Cuba policies have nothing to do with economic welfare of Cubans or Americans. It has to do with protecting the interests/claims of well-endowed Cuban who became Cuban Americans and the East Coast backers of failed policies of the past. Americans should simply thumb their noses at the State Dept and flood into Cuba.
Don't know what BMOC is

Old 08-24-2014, 12:24 PM

big man on campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas