Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2015, 04:52 PM

676 posts, read 994,517 times

Advertisements

anyone know the demographics for chile ?
(ethnic demographics)

ive always wondered how much Chile was influenced by European and indigenous culture, it is part of the southern cone and is one of the most developed and richest nations in Latin america

although it never had the same scale of European immigration that Argentina had

ive heard that its white population is between 70% to 30% but i really dont know
is it a majority mestizo or white nation ?
how do you think European and indigenous culture has effected it
ive heard many people say its very 'western' and that southern chile is more European than the north

Old 02-05-2015, 03:20 PM

18,189 posts, read 25,429,099 times
If I had to guess based on what I've seen, Chile is about 70% Mestizo with the rest being maybe 1/2 white 1/2 Indian

Old 02-05-2015, 04:05 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,495,079 times
look up dna tests

Old 02-05-2015, 09:13 PM

16,391 posts, read 31,024,801 times
People are pretty white in Chile.

Apart from that, who really cares? Instead of making forum posts about things like this, just visit the country.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:43 PM

30,907 posts, read 19,525,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagittarius Sirius View Post
anyone know the demographics for chile ?
(ethnic demographics)

ive always wondered how much Chile was influenced by European and indigenous culture, it is part of the southern cone and is one of the most developed and richest nations in Latin america

although it never had the same scale of European immigration that Argentina had

ive heard that its white population is between 70% to 30% but i really dont know
is it a majority mestizo or white nation ?
how do you think European and indigenous culture has effected it
ive heard many people say its very 'western' and that southern chile is more European than the north
I just googled it and according to the site I looked at , about 53% white, 44% mestizo. I'm very Nordic/Anglo looking and where I work in Peru, nobody that sees me assumes I'm local. In Chile, there's a lot of people that look like me so I could pass as a local until I open my mouth with terrible Spanish.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:48 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,260,499 times
Well I lived in Chile and traveled the length of the country. I don't have any stats but I can tell you that it is mostly mestizo. It seems ( as is the case with lot's of latin america ) that the lower the classes the more mestizo the people seem to be. Upper class Chileans not all but many have a very European "Mediterranean" or "Iberian" appearance, especially since alot of upper class Chileans were "Basque" or immigrated from the Basque region of Spain. The former dictator "Augusto Pinochet" was said to be of Basque decent.

However it's off because in southern Chile, you'd see European looking people with fairly spanish names, but then mestizo looking folks that had a German or Austrian last name. It's not uncommon to hear a name like: Luis Gonzalez Nahuel Schauenkopf ( ok this is maybe a corny example but you get the idea ) and even though a German last name, havce a very mestizo appearance and vice versa. Chile is an interesting case to be honest.

Even so it's intersting. Chileans, especially the women have long beautiful, silky dark, or extremely dark black, straight hair and very amer indian facial features, high cheekbones, very I dunno latina or hispanic appearences ( for lack of a better word ) beautiful brown or green and hazel eyes....yet their skin can be as ivory white as a Swede, it's rather interesting. I don't know if this is because the very southern cone ameri-indians had a softer skin tone because it's a more temperant cliemate? I just don't know. I've even seen some with freckles. Then again I've seen European looking brown and even red haired Chileans, but mainly only in the upper class district of santiago like "Los Condes"

Although while in Puerto Montt, I did see some tall blondes with somewhat nordic features who were native Chileans, born there to 1st or 2nd generation Bavarian German immigrants, so Chile is interesting. Northern Chile around Antofogasta or Iquique is VERY Peruvian mestizo in my opinion and darker. Then again I went to Easter Island as well....Chile in some ways is the most unique of all the altin-american countries with so many contrasts, not only natrually but within the people itself.

It says this is the "average features" of what would be considered a Chilean face. I guess I'd agree although I'd say many of the ones I've seen have almost "asian" type features, especially in the eyes and with the high cheekbones

I looked hard and wide to find an image that I thought represented what I think is a Chilean face and I chose this video. I'd say this is about the best example I could find, I really think they have beautiful and unique features. This young lady really reminds me soooo much of alot of Chileans I met and saw and knew:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpZfCadjx5I

Last edited by EricOldTime; 02-06-2015 at 08:29 AM..

Old 02-08-2015, 08:43 AM

884 posts, read 932,912 times
Chile is a mainly mestizo country. Even Argentina too, according to genetic research.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:25 AM

491 posts, read 756,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
Chile is a mainly mestizo country. Even Argentina too, according to genetic research.
Aha. That research seems like an interesting read for the racially aware, obviously I couldn't care less but be my guest and post links. Thank you.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:43 PM

884 posts, read 932,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPilot View Post
Aha. That research seems like an interesting read for the racially aware, obviously I couldn't care less but be my guest and post links. Thank you.
Did you read the OP? I'm just answering him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas