Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2015, 02:47 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,832,429 times

Advertisements

For anyone reconsidering a job move to Latin America neat little article that takes a look at the coolest offices in Mexico. Definitely some cool companies, and there is also a link to the bottom that will take you to Brazil's coolest offices as well. You can check it out here: bit.ly/17YBUxK

I think it's a good resource to have so you can see how those countries themselves are growing in regards to the workplace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 07:34 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,254,304 times
These kinds of careers in these countries are only attainable by the "ultra" wealthy here. The average layman or even middle class Mexican or Brazilian could only dream of working in one of these companies.

If it's anything like Argentina ( which I suspect it is, I work for an arg software firm and we have offices in Mexico City ) to study to be a developer or any type of programming or IT related field is VEEERRYYY expensive and usually on the young people that come from the high upper classes can afford to study for this kind of career here.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:30 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,494,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
These kinds of careers in these countries are only attainable by the "ultra" wealthy here. The average layman or even middle class Mexican or Brazilian could only dream of working in one of these companies.

If it's anything like Argentina ( which I suspect it is, I work for an arg software firm and we have offices in Mexico City ) to study to be a developer or any type of programming or IT related field is VEEERRYYY expensive and usually on the young people that come from the high upper classes can afford to study for this kind of career here.
It's unfortunate, because programming/coding and IT are kind of like learning English today in the modern world. Meaning, it will take you places if you are savvy and resourceful with it as a tool. Plus the creativity it unleashes, as well as the entrepreneurial potential is incredible. I can only imagine what type of software/programs such young minds in Mexico, Argentina, Peru etc, could develop that would hugely benefit the communities they live in. We've seen what they can do with a simple resource like twitter...it would probably blow my mind what they would do with coding/programming knowledge. Unfortunately, rich kids will mostly only create software/programs that serve people like them, therefore it perpetuates a global divide between those that are connected and those that aren't.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
It's unfortunate, because programming/coding and IT are kind of like learning English today in the modern world. Meaning, it will take you places if you are savvy and resourceful with it as a tool. Plus the creativity it unleashes, as well as the entrepreneurial potential is incredible. I can only imagine what type of software/programs such young minds in Mexico, Argentina, Peru etc, could develop that would hugely benefit the communities they live in. We've seen what they can do with a simple resource like twitter...it would probably blow my mind what they would do with coding/programming knowledge. Unfortunately, rich kids will mostly only create software/programs that serve people like them, therefore it perpetuates a global divide between those that are connected and those that aren't.

it's just the way it is here....certain kinds of careers require the finances to study and learn them. Not to mention, another big expense is they need to have the equipment at home also to be able to practice, and lower middle-class to lower classes, even many middle class families, there's no way they'll ever afford that. Here in arg, the guys that do coding, software and IT are like rockstars almost, but you HAVE to be from a family with money to be able to afford to study it, there's no other way around it.

Last edited by EricOldTime; 03-18-2015 at 02:32 PM..

Old 03-20-2015, 01:51 PM

491 posts, read 755,199 times
What Eric said was exaggerated:

Free IT- courses in argentina:
Microsoft ofrece cursos de programación gratuitos | Microsoft - Infobae
Cursos virtuales y gratuitos de programación para jóvenes de todo el país - Noticias educ.ar
Hexacta dicta cursos gratuitos de programacin para estudiantes universitarios: Noticias | CESSI Argentina
Sitios donde tomar cursos de programación gratis

I can dig up many more.

Computing is something that is very accessible to ALL classes.

Old 03-20-2015, 03:18 PM

These are free "courses" on IT programming and software, doesn't give you the degree or guarantee you a career genius....

I can take one of these courses if I want to....doesn't mean I'll have the degree or get any job and it still doesn't change the fact that it's an expensive career here IF you want to be certified and get a degree....hence a job..... Let me spell it out so you can understand:

F_R_E_E C_O_U_R_S_E_S + J_O_B + C_A_R_E_E_R = two very different things Mr Los Condes...

To study IT full time to get a degree or equivalent in argentina you'll need someone who can pay for your food, transportation, a place to stay, besides, one of the main Univ is in Tandil, that's 4 -5 hours from Buenos Aires....... and of course a good computer to practice on "at home" (another BIG expense) and or complete assignments not to mention...and sustain this over a period of years....this is all very expensive in Argentina.

Hence a career that's popular with kids from well to do families. All the guys that work here in the office and do IT programming are from the upper class, one is the son of the mayor of our city, most have Italian and Arg citizenship. The only reason why I work here is because I'm bilingual....if not, I'd be mopping the floors LOL with the cleaning ladies, actually were in the same union. These guys are treated like rock stars.

I work across from one of the girls here named "Rosario" she just took a 4 week vacation to the French Riviera of southern France.....yeah she's def working class.. Nobody in this office is even middle class, except for me and a few of the guys who work in commercial. Actually, my wife at one time considered a career in IT development but couldn't afford it herself.

you are sorely misinformed....sorely. Go ahead post more news links...your laughable you know that? 6 years in Chile, learned nothing, know nothing, just links and numbers and now more links and numbers.... that's all you are contradictions of links and numbers with no experience...

Introduce me to one person who is from a working middle class or lower class in argentina, or ANY latin american country that has an IT career and DEGREE....not taking a free course but a DEGREE as in edcucation over a period of years......but you won't because you can't. I work in a software company, I work with software professionals IN a software company and it's what they've told me personally, including my wife...and you tell me I'm wrong? You tell me to deny what I see with my own eyes and have heard from argentines with my own ears? You think you know better than they do?

Mod edit: Personal attacks are not acceptable on CD. Discuss the ideas, without attacking other posters.

Last edited by Sunscape; 03-25-2015 at 11:46 AM..

Old 03-20-2015, 04:26 PM

491 posts, read 755,199 times
I don't care what your anarquist friends think of me.

Anyway, here's one IT university with a full on degree and post-degree:
Universidad Nacional de Quilmes - carreras - Tecnicatura Universitaria en Programación Informática

Old 03-25-2015, 03:42 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,803,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchMe View Post
doesn't the discussion of mexico belong in the mexico forum?
No. The discussion isn't about Mexico, but offices in Latin America.

This is the Americas forum, common sense will tell you that topics will include Mexico, the US and Canada from time to time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas