Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 06:23 PM

881 posts, read 922,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
So words like mina, laburar, quilombo, and pibe have disappeared? Perhaps we can say Lunfardo did not disappear, it was just incorporated into Argentina and Uruguay's national lexicons.

Argentine Spanish is peppered with these unique words, regardless of class. Low-class dialect is ALWAYS incorporated into the national lexicon of every country. So is low-class music.
anyone in Spain/Hispanic America knows the meaning of these words.

any country/region has its unique variation of Spanish and its own slang.

easily 90% of words of Lunfardo aren't used anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 04:59 AM

8 posts, read 8,775 times
Catalan is not a mixture of language, but a language. Lunfardo disappeared, and the few surviving words are only heard in Tangos or perhaps in some areas of Buenos Aires.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:44 AM

836 posts, read 1,255,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPilot View Post
Riu d'Plat and Terra d'Foc would prolly be a bit more close. Otherwise it was correct
If you look up the Catalan-language Wikipedia, it is in fact Riu de la Plata and Terra del Foc, respectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnigan10 View Post
Catalan is not a mixture of language, but a language. Lunfardo disappeared, and the few surviving words are only heard in Tangos or perhaps in some areas of Buenos Aires.
I know that Catalan is its own language and not a mixture. But to people from outside the Iberian Peninsula, Catalan seems like a three-way cross between Spanish, French, and Italian.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:22 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,246,659 times
Argentina Lunfardo and Catalan have nothing in common, don't even sound the same...

"Rio-Platense" ( the spanish spoken primarily in Buenos Aires, Entre Rios, Santa Fe provinces and Uruguay ) as a form of spanish if anything that resembles Italian to my ears, very similar tone and inflection in the accent. Actually, Argentine Lunfardo also employs lot's of Italian words in it's slang as well "Las gambas" for legs, for example is one that comes to mind. Oddly enough, argentines also call Italians "gringos" as well as americans although "yanqui" is much more commonly used for folks from the US.

Anyways... go to the north east or the north west of Argentina, the accent and spanish is different, much more neutral. Argentina is a HUGE country, from one corner to the next, their are alot of differences and variations.

Catalan....not even close, don't really get the comparison either..

Argentina Lunfardo is VERY MUCH alive and well...new words are being added all the time. Although, some Lunfardo words and phrases have fallen out of vogue ( like the greeting: "Hola que talca como andamio" or "Salio un dia perronista") but MANY MANY MANY are still used daily....and used quite proudly I might add.

Quilombo ( or bolonqui, bolomqui, some humourously say it in reverse ) laburar, mina, pibe,morfar, chanta, pelotudo, escabiar, birra, despelote, chabon, estafar... we can go on and on.....every day slang words here still used everyday all over alot of Argentina, mainly Rosario, Cordoba and Buenos Aires province. Outside of Las Pampas region, you hear different slang and not quite as much Lunfardo. In Mendoza, the spanish is very similar to Chile, clipped and fast. In the northeast in JuJuy and Salya you get an influx of andean indigenous words as well. Besides, argentine spanish or real Lunfardo is as much about gesticulations as much as words....argentines ( especially porteños ) speak with their hands and are very expressive. Along with those words come the right gesticulations as well...

Porteños, well, the old style of Lunfardo you don't hear as much, they would take words and say them in reverse, "Cafe" becomes "Feca" and "Pizza" becomes "Zzapi" but you don't hear this as much anymore with the younger porteños.

The really lower, super poor Argentina classes and "villeritos" here have a very unique slang and dialect and speak almost in a form of code....kinda like an argentine version of "eubonics" ( for lack of a better comparison ) it's practically a different language much of the time....my wife and I hear them on the bus talking and have literally no idea what they're saying.

for example they say: "Che Rancho" or "Che gato" alot when they call their friends. The police they call "la gorra" I could go on and on...

it also cracks me up when they mix English and spanish. I once heard one of these guys on the bus invite one of his buddies who was sitting across the aisle to go to the "bolichaso" ( large bar nightclub ) for a few beers. He said:

Che gato, vamos por unos "drinks?"

I listened I was like, with the accent sounded like "dleenks"...what the heck is he saying? He kept repeating it with his friend and from what I was able to take from the conversation, he was taking about going and grabbing a few beers...let's go grab a few drinks, beers LOL. They must have heard it from TV or something...now I hear it alot recently...kinda funny...they are saying "drinks" is what a few of my argentine friends have told me...so I was right, I heard it right LOL

Last edited by EricOldTime; 04-06-2015 at 10:54 AM..

Old 04-06-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
Argentina Lunfardo and Catalan have nothing in common, don't even sound the same...

"Rio-Platense" ( the spanish spoken primarily in Buenos Aires, Entre Rios, Santa Fe provinces and Uruguay ) as a form of spanish if anything that resembles Italian to my ears, very similar tone and inflection in the accent. Actually, Argentine Lunfardo also employs lot's of Italian words in it's slang as well "Las gambas" for legs, for example is one that comes to mind. Oddly enough, argentines also call Italians "gringos" as well as americans although "yanqui" is much more commonly used for folks from the US.
I know that Lunfardo and Catalan sound quite different. I'm saying, basically, that if you artificially imposed a "new" language in Argentina/Uruguay - taking into account the existing language (Spanish), the cultural background of most of the people (Spanish and Italian, plus some French), and the predominant influence in high culture and architecture (French) - it would have been Catalan, given how much of a three-way cross it is with those three more mainstream languages. Of course, in the real world, you can't impose "new" languages on countries just like that.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:54 AM

Let's just say that Rioplatense culture and the Catalan language are both, or seem to both be, three-way crosses between Spanish, Italian, and French cultures/languages, but that they're as such in complete isolation from one another.

Note that Catalan does have some (or even many) words or names which are exactly identical at least in spelling to Spanish - e.g. salvador ('saviour') or dos ('two'), some exactly identical at least in spelling to French - e.g. parc ('park') or cinq ('five'), and some exactly identical at least in spelling to Italian - e.g. finestra ('window').

Old 04-06-2015, 12:36 PM

I dunno you guys have lost me....why speculate?

Old 04-06-2015, 02:17 PM

pelandrusco is a....

Old 04-06-2015, 02:23 PM

Better to have this discussion without pelandrusco around.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:37 PM

881 posts, read 922,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
parc ('park') or cinq ('five')
that's almost identical to Spanish too: "parque", "cinco".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas